Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 11:33 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Many summer jobs are temporary. Vacation spots hiring , beaches, board walk, theme parks etc are no lasting jobs.. just seasonal.
Well, every season has its seasonal jobs. People to help harvest crops in the late summer/fall; Christmas help, planting season help, summer help. Some people who get these seasonal jobs will be retained and/or promoted into yr round jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2012, 11:44 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,550,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Let's see. 80,000 job gains. GW Bush average gain 11,000 ....Errr yep, go back to Bush policies, that's a good idea.
The real question to your statement is, 11k gained from what unemployment percentage and what year?

You, of course, choose to be vague in order to support your supposition, not provide any facts on which you will be judged.

Old 07-08-2012, 06:39 PM

30,058 posts, read 18,652,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
Whether a D or R sits the chair for another 4 years is just a 4 year job, as well.

POTUS turns out to be temp gig, as well.

Worse thing would be it a permanent position.

It is called adapting. The planet has operated that way for some 4 billion years.

First requires at least a slight study of the surrounding nature, and then fitting it.

In the meanwhile one can choose to serve Good or Ill.

That is the quality it sounds like you may be missing?

Yes, the presidential "job" IS temporary, as required by law. However, many jobs can carry one through a career or lifetime. To rationalize the terrible unemployment issue by saying some weird existentialist statement like "all jobs are temporary" makes no sense at all. OBAMA and his POOR ECONOMIC POLICIES are causing these terrible jobs numbers, not Albert Camus or Emanuel Kant!

I guess if the choice is between serving God and serving Illinois, I would choose God. That choice, I must say, I have not previously encountered in existential literature.

Old 07-08-2012, 06:47 PM

52,708 posts, read 34,525,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Let's see. 80,000 job gains. GW Bush average gain 11,000 ....Errr yep, go back to Bush policies, that's a good idea.
Are you comparing obama's first 3.5 years to bush's first 3.5?

If not, why not?

Old 07-08-2012, 08:44 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,541,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Yes, the presidential "job" IS temporary, as required by law. However, many jobs can carry one through a career or lifetime. To rationalize the terrible unemployment issue by saying some weird existentialist statement like "all jobs are temporary" makes no sense at all. OBAMA and his POOR ECONOMIC POLICIES are causing these terrible jobs numbers, not Albert Camus or Emanuel Kant!
Not really rationalizing anything -- and am no Obama fan -- but the idea that Obama is somehow causing this mess is nonsense in itself. In case you have not noticed, there has been a world-wide deflationary depression going on since before the end of the Bush era. It was those prior excesses that when crashed that have caused the downward suction, now.

I believe we have not seen the end by far. But it we let the tea bag idiots in charge after November they will drive US and the world deeper by acting like dogs returning to vomit that made US and the world sick to start with.

Go back and study the Big One. The Great Depression of the 30's. While things appeared to be recovering by the mid decade, they turned and dove deeper by 1937. That is track we are taking if do the (R) budget cuts and no tax paths.

Look how the Great Depression ended. A Very Major War.

Like I said I do not like Obama. At best I consider him half-assed and luke-warm.

But if we take the (R) path, we will continue money-debt fueling China, leave both US and them hopeless hooked on Oil, they will increase their military building to enhance their economy and by the end of this depression, they will be in the role of resource strapped Japan, and we of course will be US all over again.

Big difference this time the war will start with Nukes instead of ending that way.

Quote:

I guess if the choice is between serving God and serving Illinois, I would choose God. That choice, I must say, I have not previously encountered in existential literature.
[/quote]

Had to think that through a bit. I was saying GOOD -- As in the Quaker adage -- Doing Good is Good Business.

And by Ill, I mean ill -- like sick or bad. Our choice (as always) is between Good and Bad.

But we agree -- if it were between God and Illinois -- we match, choose God.

We all good, my brother?

Old 07-08-2012, 08:55 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,132,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
That's not unusual for the Summer, but it just speaks to the sad state of the economy. Unfortunately, there's very little that can be done about it.

You need to consider the effects of Obamacare. For many employers, temps may be the way to go as a means to avoid paying the unnecessary costs --- and we still don't know what those costs are.

Temporarily...

Mircea
Even if Obamacare wasn't there, it wouldn't be different at all. Temping is the future of the US economy and there really isn't much that can be done to stop it since temps are cheap, flexible, and only used when needed.

Old 07-08-2012, 09:03 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,541,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by X14Freak View Post
Even if Obamacare wasn't there, it wouldn't be different at all. Temping is the future of the US economy and there really isn't much that can be done to stop it since temps are cheap, flexible, and only used when needed.
Agreed.

The big engineering firms I work with call me an Engineer in the Freezer. They need help on a project they call and thaw me out. I go in based on billable hours, 12 hour days, and make bank for them and me.

Meanwhile I have good family time, and get to play on my own projects.

I SO prefer that over sitting around as dead-weight on salary in an office waiting on assignments.

Works for me. With some sensible spending and budgeting, it should work for US.

Old 07-08-2012, 09:03 PM

32,059 posts, read 15,040,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
Not really rationalizing anything -- and am no Obama fan -- but the idea that Obama is somehow causing this mess is nonsense in itself. In case you have not noticed, there has been a world-wide deflationary depression going on since before the end of the Bush era. It was those prior excesses that when crashed that have caused the downward suction, now.

I believe we have not seen the end by far. But it we let the tea bag idiots in charge after November they will drive US and the world deeper by acting like dogs returning to vomit that made US and the world sick to start with.

Go back and study the Big One. The Great Depression of the 30's. While things appeared to be recovering by the mid decade, they turned and dove deeper by 1937. That is track we are taking if do the (R) budget cuts and no tax paths.

Look how the Great Depression ended. A Very Major War.

Like I said I do not like Obama. At best I consider him half-assed and luke-warm.

But if we take the (R) path, we will continue money-debt fueling China, leave both US and them hopeless hooked on Oil, they will increase their military building to enhance their economy and by the end of this depression, they will be in the role of resource strapped Japan, and we of course will be US all over again.

Big difference this time the war will start with Nukes instead of ending that way.

Had to think that through a bit. I was saying GOOD -- As in the Quaker adage -- Doing Good is Good Business.

And by Ill, I mean ill -- like sick or bad. Our choice (as always) is between Good and Bad.

But we agree -- if it were between God and Illinois -- we match, choose God.

We all good, my brother?[/quote]

Exactly, and well said. People are so quick to blame Obama for the economy. I don't think a lot of people know the scope of what's going on in the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies