Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 05:08 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,174,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Do you have a link to the stats ?
Kat may spend some time looking into ER doors since she is involved in health care but I wonder how the Dane knows all those things. There must be some kind of stats available, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2012, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
A common misconception is about who these medicaid recipients requiring most ER visits are. You appear to be a victim of that.

Hint: It ain't the children you might be fostering or planning to adopt.
I will bet that the Texan knows about the existence of SCHIP, but you don't seem to think like that. To what else do you consider the Texan to be the victim of?

Old 07-09-2012, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Nice deflection on the last sentence (question). There is no correleation you can make on this data and having insurance. I thought, silly me, that you were asking me to provide some stats to prove that young males were more likely to be involved in such things. Which gets to the crux of the matter. Now, maybe it's because I spent a large part of my career in public health, but I thought the fact that males, especially young males, are more likely to be involved in accidents of all kinds, was common knowledge. I guess not.

In regards to the 1996 crash data; it's what I could find. Most of the stuff I found on google search was stats on car accidents in various states, which, when you clicked on the link, was just a title with more links you could click on for various data. I'm sorry I don't want to write a PhD dissertation on this topic this afternoon.
How about writing a dissertation about the original topic of this thread? l That would be all those young people who were talking to the TV man about all that FREE health care they would get under Obamacare.

Old 07-09-2012, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixRisingAgain View Post
"The decision is not whether or not we will ration care - the decision is whether we will ration with our eyes open." -Donald Berwick
Wasn't Berwick one of the Obama people who pushed so hard for some kind of what became Obamacare? I do remember him saying that very thing.

Old 07-09-2012, 06:01 PM

3,437 posts, read 6,060,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikoshaprl View Post
Where did you get that from?
THAT was Einstein's point ...

Old 07-09-2012, 06:07 PM

3,437 posts, read 6,060,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
http://epionline.org/studies/oneill_06-2009.pdf

Lots of stats about the voluntarily uninsured in the above. The data is from 2008, but I doubt things have changed that much. The VUs tend to be young, single, childless males. Big surprise, huh?

Then that group are the ones that must pony up all expected charges in CASH before any medical care is rendered.

I was one of those "I never get sick" 20-somethings then I was in a automobile crash that would have killed me financially if I didn't have Health Insurance through work.

Nothing like a life threatening incident to wake you up.

I know people that are too old to have that attitude, yet still do.

Old 07-09-2012, 06:43 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,355,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackwatch View Post
Then that group are the ones that must pony up all expected charges in CASH before any medical care is rendered.

I was one of those "I never get sick" 20-somethings then I was in a automobile crash that would have killed me financially if I didn't have Health Insurance through work.

Nothing like a life threatening incident to wake you up.

I know people that are too old to have that attitude, yet still do.
As a humane society, I don't think we could do that.

I'm glad you're OK now.

Old 07-09-2012, 07:31 PM

39,808 posts, read 26,349,321 times
Quote:
What a rude awakening these kids will have when they turn 27 and get off the mommy and daddies healthcare. If they are earning $44,000 and have no healthcare they will be taxed for the mandate and still have no healthcare. If they don't want to pay the mandate tax they will have to pay for a cadillac plan that will be way more coverage than they need at that time in their lives. In essence THEY are the ones that will be paying for the subsidies for healthcare but will not be receiving any.
Now that is ridiculous man.
Obamacare COUNTS on healthy young (20-30s) males to subsidize the entire plan. It's the only way it works. Males use significantly less health care than women of the same age. Unless individual states already force men to subsize woman's care, their health insurance is significantly less than women of the same age. Obamacare will raise their rates and force them to pay more so women can pay the same amount. In addition, this largely healthy group that currently often foregoes insurance is the group that will be subsidizing most with pre-existing conditions.

I still haven't found out all the details of OC. I have a plan I like. It's (fairly) low cost, with a high deductable. My employer contributes to my HSA. Great program and the cash is there should TSHTF and I need to use insurance. This covers my deductable which I'm otherwise SOL on. I wonder if OC still allows these kinds of plans. I know they have increased penalties for using YOUR money in YOUR HSA. I suppose these plans must still be good, afterall Omama promised that if you have a health insurance plan and are happy with it, you can keep it. It's not like he lies now, is it?

Old 07-09-2012, 07:43 PM

593 posts, read 1,408,645 times
Quote:
If they are earning $44,000 and have no healthcare they will be taxed for the mandate and still have no healthcare.
In your scenario, I'll just be ridiculously happy to be making $44,000/year.

Old 07-10-2012, 01:30 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,156,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I don't think you at all understand Medicare. Doctors and other providers of health care get what Medicare will pay them and I know from my nearly 15 years on the system that it isn't very close to what they want to charge. I might add what they do charge to people who have insurance and to those who don't have it. Medicare is not at all free since I started paying into it when it came into effect and am still paying about 10% of my monthly Social Security check to it. It just isn't as free as you younger Captains think it is but then expecting you to know about it is unfair, isn't it.
So how is it any different than any other single payer healthcare?

In Europe people's taxes go to pay for their healthcare. In the U.S. our taxes go to pay old people's health care.

I don't get how you can be fine with Medicare and be against universal health care, oh wait yes I can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies