Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2012, 04:23 PM

172 posts, read 421,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
No. Live in Miami, where hardly anyone speaks English.
My experience living in South Florida as monolingual English speaker wasn't a question of Cubans assimilating into South Florida as much as me assimilating into bilingualism. Thinking about Stone Crabs, Ropa Vieja, Yuca, mojito makes me very hungry.

Last edited by bongofury; 08-12-2012 at 04:31 PM..

Old 08-12-2012, 04:25 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,597,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyjohnny38 View Post
Seems to me that Cubans are more in tune with 'traditional' American virtues than other Hispanics. There seems to me more of a focus on education and achievement, as opposed to Mexcians or Puerto Ricans for example. I've found that Cubans will focus on long term achievement for their kids, where as Mexicans and Puerto Ricans in America see their kids more as a family contributor who can supplement household income as they reach teen years. Are the Cubans at the top of the Hispanic pecking order?
How offensive and insulting. You do realize that Puerto Ricans are American by birth, don't you?

Old 08-12-2012, 04:54 PM

140 posts, read 230,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
How offensive and insulting. You do realize that Puerto Ricans are American by birth, don't you?
Smittyjohnny38 made some solid points. He was not offensive or insulting and the fact that Puerto Ricans are American by birth means nothing. You are not addressing his point. Cubans do focus on education and achievement, something that the main wave of Puerto Ricans who arrived in the 1940s did not. Their children did not and neither did their grandchildren. That is to say, there was little improvement in their conditions and in fact, I heard about studies that cited that Puerto Ricans were downwardly mobile instead of being upwardly mobile as had been the tradition with other immigrants. Many were caught in a cycle of out-of-wedlock children and multigenerational welfare. American citizenship not withstanding.

I understand, however, that things are now changing for PR's as a new wave of middle class professionals has recently migrated to the USA, but unfortunately, the PR's that made the impact in the mind of the American people were the ones that arrived in the 1940's.

Old 08-12-2012, 05:19 PM

17,290 posts, read 29,319,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bongofury View Post
My experience living in South Florida as monolingual English speaker wasn't a question of Cubans assimilating into South Florida as much as me assimilating into bilingualism. Thinking about Stone Crabs, Ropa Vieja, Yuca, mojito makes me very hungry.
I make a point to NOT speak Spanish when I go to Miami. Even if they speak to me in Spanish, I'll answer in English. Only if it's obvious they do not know English at all (actually rare) will I switch to Spanish.

It's amazing traveling to Spain, Mexico, etc.... they all know English! Only the ones that come to live in the United States appear to not want to learn it, lol!

Old 08-12-2012, 05:33 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,318,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayarena View Post
Puleez Ray1945, spare us your lame response. Italian Americans are hardly what I would call "average Americans," and I'm sure that you were far from being an "Average American" [try as your might]. The average Italian American in places like "Jersey Shore" and Brooklyn, NYC [which is the epitome of Italianness in the Northeast] is about as far from New England WASP, Midwest farmboy or a Southern Redneck as the EAST is from the WEST.

As far as Cubans are concerned, many Cubans are very assimilated, so assimilated in fact that most people don't even know that they are Cubans. Ryan Lochte, the Gold metal swimmer and ALL AMERICAN BOY from the Olympics 2012, is a classic example. Bob Vila, host of "This Old House," was another example. Look up people like Amy Rodriguez. She's on the USA women's soccer team, another "ALL AMERICAN GIRL, who is of Cuban Ancestry. Ray1945, you don't know what you're talking about. Sweep around your own back door and stop attacking Cubans.

Amy RODRIGUEZ

• Date of Birth: 17 February 1987
  • Height: 163 cm
  • Shirt number: 8
  • Position: Forward
  • Current club: Philadelphia Independence (USA)
  • International Caps: 70
  • Int

Ryan Lochte (Frazer Harrison/Getty Images)

I have never considered myself to be Italian-American and have never referred to myself as one. I am simply an American. I have no allegiance to Italy and my esteem is not bolstered by the achievements of those who share my heritage.

English was the only language spoken in my home, my parents celebrated only American holidays, I learned only American patriotic songs, and when I say "my country," there is no question that I mean the United States of America.

Can't say the same for many of Miami's Cubans.

Old 08-12-2012, 06:21 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,388,585 times
Quote:
Puleez Ray1945, spare us your lame response. Italian Americans are hardly what I would call "average Americans," and I'm sure that you were far from being an "Average American" [try as your might]. The average Italian American in places like "Jersey Shore" and Brooklyn, NYC [which is the epitome of Italianness in the Northeast] is about as far from New England WASP, Midwest farmboy or a Southern Redneck as the EAST is from the WEST.

As far as Cubans are concerned, many Cubans are very assimilated, so assimilated in fact that most people don't even know that they are Cubans. Ryan Lochte, the Gold metal swimmer and ALL AMERICAN BOY from the Olympics 2012, is a classic example. Bob Vila, host of "This Old House," was another example. Look up people like Amy Rodriguez. She's on the USA women's soccer team, another "ALL AMERICAN GIRL, who is of Cuban Ancestry. Ray1945, you don't know what you're talking about. Sweep around your own back door and stop attacking Cubans.

Amy RODRIGUEZ

• Date of Birth: 17 February 1987
  • Height: 163 cm
  • Shirt number: 8
  • Position: Forward
  • Current club: Philadelphia Independence (USA)
  • International Caps: 70
  • Int

Ryan Lochte (Frazer Harrison/Getty Images)

Do you think if you tried just a little bit harder that you could be a little bit more offensive and insult just a few more people? Your attitude does not do anything to enhance the overall view of Cuban Americans living in Miami.

Old 08-12-2012, 06:57 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,281,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
I have never considered myself to be Italian-American and have never referred to myself as one. I am simply an American. I have no allegiance to Italy and my esteem is not bolstered by the achievements of those who share my heritage.

English was the only language spoken in my home, my parents celebrated only American holidays, I learned only American patriotic songs, and when I say "my country," there is no question that I mean the United States of America.

Nor many of Mexican heritage.

Old 08-12-2012, 07:01 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,597,491 times
Quote:
Smittyjohnny38 made some solid points. He was not offensive or insulting and the fact that Puerto Ricans are American by birth means nothing. You are not addressing his point. Cubans do focus on education and achievement, something that the main wave of Puerto Ricans who arrived in the 1940s did not. Their children did not and neither did their grandchildren. That is to say, there was little improvement in their conditions and in fact, I heard about studies that cited that Puerto Ricans were downwardly mobile instead of being upwardly mobile as had been the tradition with other immigrants. Many were caught in a cycle of out-of-wedlock children and multigenerational welfare.
Check out the white communities of Appalachia or the black communities of inner-city America sometime. And they're just as American as I am.

Old 08-12-2012, 07:56 PM

140 posts, read 230,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post

Good for you! But, so that Italians don't behave like Cubans, maybe you can come up to the Northeast and tell all of your 3rd and 4th generation paisanos in New York City and New Jersey to take down the Italian flags from their neighborhoods in New Jersey and Brooklyn, stop celebrating Columbus Day [with all of those Italian flags waving all around. Remember, you have to be proud of being an American, can't show any ethnic pride!!!], stop eating pasta, stop celebrating Christmas with traditional Italian food, instead of roast turkey like Americans do, limit your extended family ties, stop talking in that horrible Brooklynese with all of those words form the "Old Country" springled in. Oh, and please, stop reading "Il Progresso" and limit yourselves to reading the Daily News or the New York Post. That said, please tell your paisanos to stop those religious parades down the streets where they take out statues of Saint Anthony and the priest is talking in a loud speaker in Italian. Real Americans don't do that either! Stop playing bocce [ball]! Real Americans don't do that either! And finally and worst of all, please tell your paisanos to stop going crazy and honking their horns and making a nuisance of themselves as they drive down the streets with enormous Italian flags waving in the air whenever Italy wins the world Cup!

Old 08-12-2012, 08:00 PM

18,837 posts, read 37,246,819 times
You would be hard pressed to find to do all of your business in Italian only in NYC. However, many Cubans in Miami do not speak English, and have no problem with finding employment, receiving medical care, and doing all business in Spanish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies