Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 04:07 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrow1 View Post
I would guess that miami Cubans from that era are pretty well assimilated too. Later waves (ie Marielitos) are probably not as well assimilated for a number of reasons.
Again, I can only assume that you have never been to Miami.

Now I love latin America, I love playing dominos and I love a cortadito or a Cafe con Leche (Lattes drive me crazy). And while I would rather be in Cuba, Nicaragua, Le Salvador or the Dominican Republic going to Miami was always a less expensive choice. So don't get me wrong, I love Miami with all of its lack of assimilation and maybe because of it. But I can assure you that if you had hung around the old guys some of whom claimed to be veterans of Alpha 66 and even survivors of la invasión de Playa Girón who hung out around the bodegas and street side cafes along Calle Ocho... dude you would be in for a rude awakening.

True story, tried to order a scotch on the rocks at the Hilton Hotel in downtown Miami and couldn't do it until I asked the bartender in spanish.

Old 07-09-2012, 04:32 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,451,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Again, I can only assume that you have never been to Miami.

Now I love latin America, I love playing dominos and I love a cortadito or a Cafe con Leche (Lattes drive me crazy). And while I would rather be in Cuba, Nicaragua, Le Salvador or the Dominican Republic going to Miami was always a less expensive choice. So don't get me wrong, I love Miami with all of its lack of assimilation and maybe because of it. But I can assure you that if you had hung around the old guys some of whom claimed to be veterans of Alpha 66 and even survivors of la invasión de Playa Girón who hung out around the bodegas and street side cafes along Calle Ocho... dude you would be in for a rude awakening.

True story, tried to order a scotch on the rocks at the Hilton Hotel in downtown Miami and couldn't do it until I asked the bartender in spanish.
Yup, Alpha 66 and and the now defunct Omega 7, both considered domestic terrorist organizations by the FBI.... now that's "assimilation" for 'ya!

Oh, and the Elián González affair.... OMG, I think that was the first glimpse for most Americans, of how really, um, "vocal" Miami Cubans can be!

And my own Spanish has slipped since moving to Cali, where it's no longer as essential as it was in Miami. Although I still occasionally miss a good "medianoche" sandwich now and then (kinda hard to find that great bread, though a french baguette works nicely)!

Elian Gonzalez video release- YouTube

Last edited by mateo45; 07-09-2012 at 04:45 PM..

Old 07-09-2012, 04:35 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,335,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
And the Cuban Americans that don't live in Miami? What about them?
What about them?
Quote:
More than two-thirds of Cubans (68%) live in Florida, home to about 990,000
Cubans. The state with the next highest concentration of Cubans is New Jersey
(81,000), followed by New York (78,000), California (74,000) and Texas
(34,000).
More than a third of all Cubans (37%) were born in the United States. Among the
approximately 913,000 Cubans who are foreign born, 30% entered the United
States before 1980, 12% entered between 1980 and 1990 and 21% entered after
Among Cubans in Florida, 70% are foreign-born. Of these, about 31% entered
before 1980, 14% entered between 1980 and 1990 and 26% entered after 1990.http://pewhispanic.org/files/factsheets/23.pdf
Approximately 70% of all US Cubans live in Florida, and 70% of them are foreign born. Where do you think most Cuban born Florida Cubans ended up? I think it's safe to say that close to 50% of all US Cubans are in S. Florida. And they have not assimilated....they've just taken over....

Old 07-09-2012, 04:40 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,631,619 times
Quote:
How many Spanish Americans have you even met to make such a claim?
"Spanish-Americans" aren't the biggest hispanic group, but there are around 650,000 "Americans of Spanish descent," and I'd have to say, they tend to be very well integrated.

Old 07-09-2012, 04:41 PM

1,702 posts, read 1,918,607 times
I used to spend a couple of weeks a month in south Florida for a few years back in 80's & early 90's for work. I guess I didn't hang out in the same places as you. While the latin influence was heavy the use of spanish didn't seem much different than home. Of course I live in San Diego.

Old 07-09-2012, 04:41 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
What about them? Approximately 70% of all US Cubans live in Florida, and 70% of them are foreign born. Where do you think most Cuban born Florida Cubans ended up? I think it's safe to say that close to 50% of all US Cubans are in S. Florida. And they have not assimilated....
In the heart of the Midwest: In college I had friends whose parents immigrated from Cuba. My parents took me to Cuban physicians when I was a child. My opthomologist is in his 80's and escaped from Casto's Cuba. He and his son have had an extremely successful opthomology practice in my metro area for at least 35+ years. I have an elderly friend who teaches at a prestigeous Miami hospital, also an escapee from Castro's Cuba. All not only have assimilated but excelled in their fields; mostly in medical research and the delivery of innovative surgical techniques.

Old 07-09-2012, 04:47 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,313,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLWH View Post
Ricky Ricardo seem to assimilate well, except for a few English words, he seem to do well. Pl
Are you kidding me? Ricky Ricardo was a fictional character on the Lucy Show. As for Desi Arnez that played the character how do you know how assimilated he was or not?

Old 07-09-2012, 04:57 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,451,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
In the heart of the Midwest: In college I had friends whose parents immigrated from Cuba. My parents took me to Cuban physicians when I was a child. My opthomologist is in his 80's and escaped from Casto's Cuba. He and his son have had an extremely successful opthomology practice in my metro area for at least 35+ years. I have an elderly friend who teaches at a prestigeous Miami hospital, also an escapee from Castro's Cuba. All not only have assimilated but excelled in their fields; mostly in medical research and the delivery of innovative surgical techniques.
So, doesn't Romney have Mexican ancestry too.... and would you call him "typical" or "representative"?

Old 07-09-2012, 05:00 PM

1,702 posts, read 1,918,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
What about them? Approximately 70% of all US Cubans live in Florida, and 70% of them are foreign born. Where do you think most Cuban born Florida Cubans ended up? I think it's safe to say that close to 50% of all US Cubans are in S. Florida. And they have not assimilated....they've just taken over....
Judging by the Pew data it looks like they have assimilated quite well. To me, home ownership rates and education count for more than what language they choose to speak at home. They are a suprisingly smaller part of the hispanic population than I would have imagined. As a group they must be fairly happy in south Florida as many other immigrant groups seem to spread out quicker. Maybe thats why you see them as having an inordinate amount of local influence. I have also seen that children of 1st wave Cuban immigrants tend to self-identify as white or "American" rather than Hispanic.

Old 07-09-2012, 05:01 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,335,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
OK - but the 50% of all Cubans who live in S. Florida have not assimilated.

As to the bolded text: Gee, wonder how that happened....
Quote:
U.S. policy has been far more welcoming towards
Cubans than to any other migrants from Latin America. Virtually all Cuban
migrants have been admitted under a special parole power exercised by the U.S.
Attorney General that immediately grants them full legal status and puts them on
a path to U.S. citizenship. Under current U.S. policy, Cuban migrants
apprehended at sea are returned to Cuba while those who are able to reach U.S.
soil are allowed to stay.http://pewhispanic.org/files/factsheets/23.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies