Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 08:24 PM

1,702 posts, read 1,918,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Learning another language should be a personal choice and not forced just because of non-assimilating immigrants or citizens who want to be pandered to in their native language. The fact remains that Cuban-Americans prefer Spanish over English and anyone who doesn't speak Spanish can't get a job in Miami. Yes, there is more to assimilating than language usage but that is one big factor!
Pretty broad brush you are painting with. Anyone who can't speak spanish can't get a job in Miami?

Old 07-09-2012, 08:39 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,405,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrow1 View Post
Pretty broad brush you are painting with. Anyone who can't speak spanish can't get a job in Miami?
Many, many jobs in Miami REQUIRE one to be bilingual. It is difficult to work in Miami if you don't speak Spanish. Any job that involves having very much communication with the citizens of Miami means speaking Spanish. Lots of people work in Ft. Lauderdale for that reason, they are not Spanish speakers.

Why are you finding it so difficult to believe the postings of people who actually live in Miami? Why would they lie?

Old 07-09-2012, 08:43 PM

1,702 posts, read 1,918,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
Many, many jobs in Miami REQUIRE one to be bilingual. It is difficult to work in Miami if you don't speak Spanish. Any job that involves having very much communication with the citizens of Miami means speaking Spanish. Lots of people work in Ft. Lauderdale for that reason, they are not Spanish speakers.

Why are you finding it so difficult to believe the postings of people who actually live in Miami? Why would they lie?
I guess because I live in a city with a very high population of spanish speakers and see plenty of job opportunities for non-spanish speakers.

Old 07-09-2012, 08:45 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,335,421 times
Quote:
For many jobs, yes, that is the case. If the job requires that you interact with the public, you'd better be able to speak Spanish.

Old 07-09-2012, 09:53 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,405,040 times
Quote:
I guess because I live in a city with a very high population of spanish speakers and see plenty of job opportunities for non-spanish speakers.
I think the point is that Miami is different. Why do you think people who are posting who live in Miami would lie about this topic?

Old 07-09-2012, 10:05 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,895,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
From 1966 (actually, from 1959) to 1995 any Cuban who made it to S. Florida - and many did, try 100,000+ in 1980 - was on an automatic path to citizenship, no questions asked. For the past 17 years the wet foot/dry foot policy has been in effect - for Cubans only, no other immigrant group gets this privilege.

There have been exceptions to the wet foot/dry foot policy - notably the famous (infamous) case of Elian Gonzalez. Young Elian should have been returned to his father in Cuba but was instead brought to the US. Miami's Cubans prevailed in that one....

For anyone who is interested, here is a document that delineates the special privileges that are granted to only Cuban immigrants... http://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/row/R40566.pdf
Uh; I'm talking about 2012, NOT 1966.

Old 07-10-2012, 09:07 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,335,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Uh; I'm talking about 2012, NOT 1966.
Uh, this thread is about assimilation, a process that takes place over decades, not months.

Old 07-10-2012, 10:13 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,313,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
Uh, this thread is about assimilation, a process that takes place over decades, not months.
It shouldn't take decades to assimilate.

Old 07-10-2012, 10:32 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,559,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
I think the point is that Miami is different. Why do you think people who are posting who live in Miami would lie about this topic?
Miami is different in terms of business and commerce! It is a international city that has to deal with a population that mostly speaks Spanish hence why so many people say they feel like they are in a foreign nation when visiting.
Are Cubans more assimilated than other hispanics? As a Cuban American myself that is hard to say! I will ask why should I have to give up my heritage to placate the "average" American?
Isn't that what makes Americans so unique? Would you ask a Irish American to give up St. Patrick's Day or a Polish person in Chicago to deny their own heritage? How about a Jamaican giving up "jerk chicken"?
I'm very proud of who I am and am tired of just trying to be an "average" American!

Old 07-10-2012, 10:45 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,451,396 times
Quote:
Are you serious, or do you really not know that Cuban and Mexican cultures are very different (and BTW, that they tend to get kinda annoyed when folks act like they're all the same... GOP, are you listening)? Not to mention that San Diego ain't anything close to what Miami's like... starting with the weather, and the type of spanish!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies