Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2012, 07:08 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,387,159 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
perhaps, but it's the children that cement the marriage after the initial glitter of love fades.

What will cement a same-sex marriage?
The same thing that 'cements' the marriage of opposite sex couples.

If you read any of the research, you might get a clue.

Old 07-23-2012, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Why can't we just do away with the consent requirement as some have done with the gender differentiation requirement?
Is that so you can force some poor girl to marry you against her will?

Seriously, your 'arguments' are getting increasingly desperate and ridiculous.

Old 07-23-2012, 07:12 AM

5,190 posts, read 4,839,638 times
I am talking about the psychological bond formed by having biological children between the two parents.

Yes, 50% of DNA from each parent in the child.

This is where the parents can see a reflection of themselves in the child, the ultimate narcissistic ego boost.

The narcissistic ego boost that propagates our very psychological survival - to which we all abide by, whether consciously or not.

Old 07-23-2012, 07:14 AM

5,190 posts, read 4,839,638 times
So just to spell it out for you, so that we can avoid yet another round of the word game.

That would be 50% DNA from biological mother, and 50% DNA from biological father - both of whom live with the child as a family unit.

Old 07-23-2012, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Who are you to determine what goes on in another man's bedroom?

My dog and I love each other, who are you to say otherwise?

3 woofs and it's a yes!

I am just using s.s marriage brigade logic here.
No, you have your own peculiar brand of 'logic' - which is completely irrational.

Old 07-23-2012, 07:24 AM

Quote:
It harms the tradition, and respect of marriage.

Marriage is a goal to strive for, for young people at least.

The romantic notion of bringing home the bacon to wife and child is what inspires many young men (or women) to try and make a go of life.

When marriage becomes corrupted by allowing for a free-for-all , then this striving gradually diminishes.

Over time the society will gradually become even more nihilistic, and social decay will become all the more rapid.
You don't know much about history do you.

Old 07-23-2012, 07:45 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,390,223 times
Quote:
Can you explain just what makes "harming the tradition" of marriage a bad thing?

As for respect of marriage, gay marriage only makes it more respectable, because homosexuals are less likely to divorce than heterosexuals. They're more likely to make it work, hence they are actually making the concept look better than heterosexuals are.

Quote:
For some. But it would seem you're wanting others (young people who are gay) to not aspire to get married... So who's really guilty of harming our society in that light?

Quote:
The romantic notion of bringing home the bacon to wife and child is what inspires many young men (or women) to try and make a go of life.
Okay, first, you have no proof of that. Second, does this mean you also have a problem with women working outside the home, with or without the man staying home with the child perhaps? After all, this goes against that "romantic notion" as well.

Quote:
When marriage becomes corrupted by allowing for a free-for-all , then this striving gradually diminishes.
For the millionth time, prove it. And I should think that the more people who can actually get married later in life = the more people who will strive to do so.

Quote:
Over time the society will gradually become even more nihilistic, and social decay will become all the more rapid.
This you have no proof or evidence of. But you've been presented with tons of evidence that allowing gays to marry and raise children will be better for society.

...and you haven't countered any of it, especially not with other evidence.

Old 07-23-2012, 10:00 AM

22,632 posts, read 14,945,990 times
I am so amused by the silly and bogus arguments that Marriage Equality for gay people will lead to multi-spouse marriage (polygamy and polyandry) or people marrying animals of the four legged variety.

Marriage Equality is a fact in many countries around the world ... Spain ... Belgium ... Argentina ... the Netherlands ... South Africa ... Norway ... Canada ... Portugal ... Sweden ... etc. ... and also places like Mexico's Distrito Federal ... and recognized in places like Israel. PLEASE NAME ONE OF THESE COUNTRIES THAT RECOGNIZE MULTI-SPOUSE OR ANIMAL MARRIAGES.

I bet you can't name one.

Old 07-23-2012, 10:41 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,390,223 times
I really don't know which countries around the world recognize polygamy/polyandry. Perhaps some of them do, but I also doubt that any of these people are going to meet your challenge. Failing to take up a challenge involving research is sort of a motif for them...

Old 07-23-2012, 11:19 AM

10,942 posts, read 10,256,164 times
Quote:
How?? How can a "tradition" be harmed? A tradition already exists and what has been cannot be harmed. And, besides, there is nothing wrong with creating new "traditions."

Please be specific in your answer as to how two people who love each other getting married harms the tradition.

As far as it harming the "respect" of marriage, the only ones who will no longer "respect" marriage are intolerant bigots like yourself.

Quote:
With a 50% failure rate among heterosexual couples, maybe young people should be looking for other goals to strive for. LOL

Quote:
*Sigh*

I doubt that many young people getting ready to enter into a marriage think this anymore. I know my own son, who got married two years ago, never said he was marrying his long time girlfriend so he could "bring home the bacon" (they both have very good jobs). Maybe at one time in our history, but I have never heard anybody say they are getting married so they "can bring home the bacon." Especially when so many households consist of two income families.

Besides, even if that is one reason why people marry, why can't a same sex couple experience those same so-called "romantic" notions? I'll bet the "notion" of raising a child together IS one reason why same sex couples want to get married - they, too, want to create a loving family by having a child (or children) either through IVF, surrogacy, or adoption.

You need to watch the t.v. show "Modern Family." There is a same sex couple on the show who adopt a child. I realize it's just a t.v. show, but the depiction of this family is pretty accurate; they go through the same struggles that heterosexual couples do - differences of opinions about discipline, etc. But, the bottom line is that they BOTH love their little girl and want only to raise her in a loving family.

Quote:

Your opinions only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
Anyway, I think it would be an unequal match because your dog is probably a lot smarter.
LOL

(Still can't rep you.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies