Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 10:59 AM

1,354 posts, read 4,572,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
self defense is a right,driving a car is a privilage.There is a distinct difference between a right and a privilage.A privilage can be revoked at whim.A license makes it a privilage.

Licenses can be used to make increase on fees,define conditions,all that is a roundabout way to ban,by making criteria hard or impossible to afford or meet requirments.Most people are not out to ban cars,but there is a segment of the population who would ban firearms and this would be their easy ticket to doing so.They didn't just ban them out right,they just made it next to impossible to qualify...same end result.

I laugh when politicians use heart tugging BS and use the terms "reasonable" and "it's for the children".OHHH....go against any policy that's for "the children" and you are smeered into a heartless SOB.

Let me say truth about these 2 expressions "reasonable",as in really it's reasonable for use to consolidate power over citizens.

"it's for the children"...well we know it's a great political trump card,just like whipping out a race card,go against it and you look like a cold heated person and again really it's about gaining power over citizens.

the terms "reasonable" and "it's for the children" were used alot during the 90's,I see that the Dems and H Clinton are back to using the`same 'ol tactics.

Here's an idea,lets do something that's for the Constitution and liberty..........
I agree with your first paragraph. Your second paragraph made me go hmmmm-I didn't think about it like that.

After that you lost me - because now you're bringing democrats and Clintons into the issue when my comments were merely MY opinion and not that of a particular party because quite frankly at this point in my life, I think all elected officials and politicians are full of sh*t.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2007, 11:09 AM

13,562 posts, read 21,328,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayannaaaliyah View Post
I agree with your first paragraph. Your second paragraph made me go hmmmm-I didn't think about it like that.

After that you lost me - because now you're bringing democrats and Clintons into the issue when my comments were merely MY opinion and not that of a particular party because quite frankly at this point in my life, I think all elected officials and politicians are full of sh*t.
true true,Dems are not the only political party politicians who promote bans and gun legislation,there are certainly a fair share of Repubs (like Guliani) who do so also.

But percentage wise the Dem party politicians do cater toward bans and restrictions,specially the Clintons and top Dem leaders,which is why I focused my comments towards them.

If a Dem gets elected president specially H Clinton AND ALSO specially if Congress is controlled by the Dems I have no doubt that a onlsaught of firearm bans and restrictions will be legislated and watch for the terms "reasonable" and "it's for the children" when they do so,because they already used that playbook in the 90's.

Old 09-30-2007, 02:32 PM

915 posts, read 3,172,900 times
Did I mention in anyway to take the gun away?

I am sorry if I provoke anyone. I do not against gun ownership. Hell you can own as much arsenal as you want. What I am suggesting is won't it be better someone has better understanding of guns any kind not just hand guns prior owning a gun? and keep check on the guns in the market..when it went

Old 09-30-2007, 02:34 PM

915 posts, read 3,172,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayannaaaliyah View Post
IMO, I dont' think the poster was against ownership of guns I am a gun owner and I believe in the right to bear arms, especially with all these sicko/idiots who have them. With that being said, there are some who purchase guns, legally, however they don't and have never had proper gun training (i.e. those parents whose children get ahold of the guns and there's an accidental shooting). It should be mandatory that a safety course be required, if nothing else, to ensure that the individual is familiar with gun safety (especially if they live in a home with children). No it's not 100% full proof that he/she will be a responsible gun owner but neither is anything else 100% full proof.

On the other hand, requiring gun owners to bring their weapons in for safety check to ensure that they are not selling them illegally, can also prove to ward out those individuals who may quite honestly be purchasing guns and then selling them on the streets. Will this stop it 100% - no, but it sure might weed out a good percentage of the bad apples. What abouts those gun owners who have several guns at home, but one has been stolen by a teenager or a friend - he/she doesn't realize it's missing because he/she doesn't do a regular inventory of his weapons. Having to bring them in may just save a life?

I don't know, I don't think there is any full-proof way to stop the madness and I definitely want to be allowed the right to bear arms, but if the requirement was imposed, I wouldn't be affected because I have nothing to worry about - all my weapons are accounted for
Thanks for clarification

Old 09-30-2007, 02:37 PM

18,700 posts, read 41,920,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myselfdotcom View Post
Did I mention in anyway to take the gun away?

I am sorry if I provoke anyone. I do not against gun ownership. Hell you can own as much arsenal as you want. What I am suggesting is won't it be better someone has better understanding of guns any kind not just hand guns prior owning a gun? and keep check on the guns in the market..when it went
Sure, it would be nice to know something about guns prior to owning them and most people are very responsible and sign up for classes, hunter safety, personal trainers, etc. but those are only the people that are law abiding. However, that's not a problem in the US so why fix it? The criminals and gang members, learn all about guns from their brothers.

Keep a check on guns in the market? Are you saying registration and tracking? What I own, what I've sold, what I've purchased, is absolutely nobody's business but mine.

Why should it make any difference to anybody else, what I have. If I commit a crime, by all means, check my guns. But if no crime is apparent, stay the hell away.

You want to set up an inspection of my firearms annually like you would a car?

Don't give me the crock that nobody's trying to take away my firearms.

Last edited by ElkHunter; 09-30-2007 at 02:45 PM..

Old 09-30-2007, 03:13 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,397,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torrey View Post
The last thing this country needs is to give MORE control to the US Government. The right to keep and bear arms is meant for several reasons. One of those reasons is to keep our own Government in check. The next several reasons are to Protect ourselves and family, to protect our nation from all enemies, foreign and domestic (that means enemies already on US soil), for hunting and general enjoyment.
Good luck when your shotgun is outpowered by AK-47s and Nuclear Weapons.

And why are you helping criminals get away with crime by not tagging bullets and weapons? Are you a criminal yourself?

Old 09-30-2007, 04:23 PM

54,477 posts, read 33,786,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myselfdotcom View Post
Should we treat gun any kind of guns -handguns or rifles or shotguns with an ID like we do it like car inspection?

Every year or two, the owner of the gun must bring in their guns for safety inspection and make sure they still own the gun without selling it illegally?
That way, we should kind of control the flow of the guns in market.

2nd of all, currently all the handguns owner must go through a basic gun training. Why not we must enforced everyone that like to own a gun(any type) to go through gun training, gun safety, gun maintainance?
That's only going to create more government and will not do anything to stop criminals from having guns, because laws only affect decent law-abiding citizens, not criminals. If you want to put a big dent in the fight against crime, hit the criminals where it counts and go after the black market gun dealers, who break all laws by selling guns to criminals.

On the gun training, make it an option and have classes for gun owners to teach them the basics of firearm safety and maintenance. I also know most public shooting ranges do offer such classes. All states do also require people who want to obtain CCWs, to take a course in firearms, they teach good common sense rules on how to handle firearms in self-defense situations.

Old 09-30-2007, 04:30 PM

20,241 posts, read 19,805,952 times
What's the point of checking anything when only the law abiding will comply? Other than possibly creating more govt. jobs, this will accomplish zip.

Last edited by doc1; 09-30-2007 at 04:39 PM..

Old 09-30-2007, 07:38 PM

1,394 posts, read 2,765,044 times
NO! And we don't need car inspetions either....Just another hidden tax for the states...

Old 09-30-2007, 08:44 PM

13,562 posts, read 21,328,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texanborn View Post
NO! And we don't need car inspetions either....Just another hidden tax for the states...
Which is a good point,here in Florida Jeb Bush did something rare,and that is he dismantled the car inspection program because studies found it did next to nothing to curb polution,I should clarify he ended emission inspections.Maintenance inspections here also ended years ago.

Jeb Bush actually was a better governor than his brother is as president.It's rare that a government program is ended,usually they want to keep it as a cash cow no matter how effective it is.

Canada has spent huge money on firearm licenses and from what I have read it has been a waste of time and money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies