Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 09:18 AM

5,787 posts, read 4,715,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post

Listen, I don't have time to deal with you changing your arguments every few pages. Obama stated pretty clearly that he wanted to raise taxes on the wealthy, and he wanted to do it once we were no longer in a recession. That's what happened.

My position hasn't changed a single IOTA.

Obama said in 2009 that raising taxes on the wealthy wouldn't improve the economy.

I stand by that statement and for once...he spoke the truth!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2012, 09:21 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,822,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jt800 View Post
Bush tax cuts boosted federal revenue

According to the Treasury Department, individual and corporate income tax receipts were up 40 percent in the three years following the Bush tax cuts. And (bonus) the rich paid an even higher percentage of the total tax burden than they had at any time in at least the previous 40 years. This was news to theNew York Times, whose astonished editorial board could only describe the gains as a “surprise windfall.”
The never-ending parroting of the same old crap. I might as well save some time.

Now, when was the last time the country saw a lower federal revenue over 3-4 year period?

Old 07-10-2012, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
Tax shortfall. That means they didn't generate as much tax revenue as their legally-required balanced budget had anticipated.
You can call it a tax shortfall or a projected budget deficit, but it's all the same thing!!!

US State Deficits

Old 07-10-2012, 09:23 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
Quote:
My position hasn't changed a single IOTA.

Obama said in 2009 that raising taxes on the wealthy wouldn't improve the economy.

I stand by that statement and for once...he spoke the truth!
hilarious! blatant denial.

Old 07-10-2012, 09:24 AM

1,432 posts, read 1,092,091 times
Your right, because raising taxes won't help the economy. One would actaully have to believe the GOvt could do a better job than the free mkt.

A few simple observations -

Many liberals are jealous of the fact that those with high incomes, get to keep a large portion of their income, and live life as they please. They see it more as a matter of fairness (although it is never defined) to take from this group to give to someone else who does without, mind you we can't have inequality....
Better for all to go without, or have just a little than some have more than others.

If you look at the proposed dollars gained for the Govt, 70 billion per year by raising taxes on the high income bracket group, what actually would those dollars support? No answers, we hear handwaving arguments about helping with debt (not any impact here), putting more people back to work (see how that worked with a much larger stimulus)..but nothing concrete. And of course you don't hear about the implications of the potential 300 billion per years (4x greater) in potential revenue in the under 250K.

So, the real question is, why should one group pay for teh collectives debt...simply because they have more money is unacceptible from an ethical perspective...

What I can't stand is when leaders try to divide one group against another. We are all Americans, and if one group is taxed less by the Govt., than all of us should, if one group pays than all of us should....it is un American to think otherwise.

Why not do something meaningful like allow repatriation of trillion + dollars overseas for US businesses at a nominal rate of 5-10%. That would bring in Govt revenue and as a caveat that x% of dollars brought back must be used for hiring? Geez, the GOvt would actaully make money, and so would businesses, and it would not cost the tax payer. Guess that would create jobs, but not pander to the base...so that won't happen...

Old 07-10-2012, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
The never-ending parroting of the same old crap. I might as well save some time.

Now, when was the last time the country saw a lower federal revenue over 3-4 year period?

I'm really sorry that you cannot admit to yourself that after the Bush Tax Cuts (for ALL taxpayers) resulted in RECORD TAX REVENUES....that doesn't make it untrue.

Old 07-10-2012, 09:27 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,822,592 times
Quote:
I'm really sorry that you cannot admit to yourself that after the Bush Tax Cuts (for ALL taxpayers) resulted in RECORD TAX REVENUES....that doesn't make it untrue.
Since I hate denial, I would hate to live in the world you do. I doubt you had the guts to even click on the link and read through my old post, much less have the ability to comprehend the message. Prove me wrong by answering this:

Why was federal tax revenue in 2005 comparable to that in 1999?

Old 07-10-2012, 09:29 AM

Were revenues at an all-time high in 2007? Strictly speaking, yes.

According to the Urban Institute-Brookings Institution Tax Policy Center, total federal tax receipts hit $2.57 trillion in 2007, before declining in 2008 and 2009, when the current recession was under way. (Tax revenues almost always sink during a recession.) The 2007 level was the highest recorded since 1934, when statistics were first collected.

Old 07-10-2012, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucsLose View Post
You dont think the economy is still in a recession?
i think it's an arguable point. some people (like your typical politician) would stick to the metric of "consecutive quarters of declining GDP" in determining a recession. i definitely give obama the benefit of the doubt that this was what he was referring to, since this is what hacks from both parties have managed to agree constitutes a recession.

now, do I personally define the phrase that way? No. But i'm in the minority on that.

Quote:
Some even argue that we have bigger trouble right around the corner that will plague the economy even more.
i think so too, which is why higher taxes on wealth are needed... to reduce both income inequality and deficit spending.

Quote:
And why is it not important to ask, just what the hell is higher taxes on a few going to accomplish?
more tax revenue over time. more income equality, which leads to greater social mobility.

Quote:
And hell, with all the uber rich hollywood liberal jerks making so much off the poor/middle class.....why the hell dont they just donate more of their paychecks to the Government.
Why would anyone donate their paycheck to the government? You seem new to this concept of "taxation." It's not something anyone wants to pay. It's something that we all must pay to keep the government functioning and providing services. How much other people pay should be important to everyone in America.

Old 07-10-2012, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
The recession hasn't ended as quickly as Obama thought it would. This December we will be at the 5-year mark. I think its long enough at this point to call it a depression, though the media will never admit that we are in a depression.
In the most technical sense, the recession has already ended.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies