Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2012, 02:45 PM

28,896 posts, read 54,045,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
(Mine in teal)

Baloney.

When I built my business, I was the first there and the last to leave. I was there on every Saturday and many Sundays, too. I never asked someone to work late where I wasn't there working with him or her.

My salary was not much more than my best-paid employee. Now I got a dividend check at the end of the year based on the year-end profitability, but the large majority of those profits went right back into the company.

I handled more things than any of my employees, from the production to the finances to dealing with clients to making sales calls.

And it was two years before I had a one-week vacation. Five years before I had a vacation without fielding 2-3 calls a day from the office.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2012, 02:45 PM

14,293 posts, read 9,659,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Because;

- Rich people work harder

- Rich people reply to phone calls faster

- Rich people answer/reply emails faster

- Rich people tend to excercise more to stay healthier and spend less money on health care since they know that if they don't live healthy it will cost them more money.

- Rich people eat healthier to stay healthier to save cost.

- Rich people waste less money on late fees, and other fees that cost them money. Pay bills on time.

- Rich people tend to compare prices before buying items to save money.

Poor people overall don't do what is written above.

If poor people would try to do the same than they will end up with more money!
might i add:

Just replace the word "rich" with successful, and add a few more lines, and I'm right there with you. No matter what line of work you are in, if one of your co-workers does the below, they will rise above their peers:

1) is always on time to work

2) always does the best job they know how to

3) asks questions so they know exactly what either the boss or the customer wants

4) takes responsibility for their actions, and strives to rise above their mistakes

5) is always keeping abreast of changes and new advancements with their job and strives to improve

If anyone does these things, they will rise above their peers, even if their peers are rich.

Too many people just do enough to get by, or work just hard enough to not get fired, and if they do this as a poor person, they will always be poor.

Last edited by OICU812; 07-10-2012 at 02:56 PM..

Old 07-10-2012, 02:56 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,562,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
Is this your opinion or do you have a cite?
Many did inherit, but many are first generation.

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortu...28/78020/index

"Through the years the list of the world's billionaires has grown, from 98 individuals and families on our first list in 1987 to 233 individuals and families last year. Frankly, the club was getting less exclusive."

"GREAT WEALTH always seems more legitimate, however, when it is the result of hard work. Nearly half the fortunes on our list are first generation,"

Old 07-10-2012, 02:58 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,562,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
The very wealthy do not have traditional jobs. There is a major disconnect between "working people" and the very wealthy.
It depends on where you define wealthy. According to the current administration's definition, your point isn't accurate for most. As for the very wealthy, that's not where they started. Most work very long hours to get where they are, and most continue to do so until they retire because that's how they function.

Old 07-10-2012, 03:03 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,927,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyngawf View Post
How do you have any concept of the life of the super wealthy? Are you one of them? How is it you feel you can identify with the rich and what they do every day? People that defend the poor say I you can't identify with them unless you have been one. How do you claim to know what the rich are all about if you have never been one?
I don't identify with the very wealthy or the very poor. I am in the top 1%, but by no means very wealthy. However, I do know a couple of people very well who are very wealthy...billions. Their life is so much different than the life that most of us understand or can even comprehend.

Old 07-10-2012, 03:10 PM

29,198 posts, read 22,263,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Because;

- Rich people work harder

- Rich people reply to phone calls faster

- Rich people answer/reply emails faster

- Rich people tend to excercise more to stay healthier and spend less money on health care since they know that if they don't live healthy it will cost them more money.

- Rich people eat healthier to stay healthier to save cost.

- Rich people waste less money on late fees, and other fees that cost them money. Pay bills on time.

- Rich people tend to compare prices before buying items to save money.

Poor people overall don't do what is written above.

If poor people would try to do the same than they will end up with more money!
This is all BS.
The rich are rich because they treasure money as an entity to itself. Possessing money is always more important to them than anything that money will buy. The making of money and the keeping of money is what makes them the happiest.

I've known a lot of self-made wealthy business people. They are always hustlers when they are young and poorer, and are more likely to stiff anyone or any other business if they can. Once they gain some success, they most always hire someone to take care of the details like email and phone calls, and are no more or less prone to living a healthy lifestyle than any of us.

You are especially wrong about the very rich's spending habits. They are always the biggest pikers when it comes to buying the most common needs, while at the same time spending extravagant amounts on the optional stuff. And a lot of them who are ultra-wealthy really don't know how or where to spend their money. A lot of them become druggies or alcoholics, and a lot come to depend on their managers and others. Few pay their help well.

Old money has a general disdain for the middle class, and new money most often despises the roots they came from.

Old 07-10-2012, 03:11 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,927,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Again, what you know about the wealthy would fit on the head of a pin. The people I know who are really wealthy work long, hard hours.
Personal attacks only hurt your argument, and unless you are God I don't think you know very much about me. You are not God are you? I think we may be tripping over defining wealthy. Certainly wealth and great wealth are relative terms. The people that I know that are really wealthy, don't work at all. All three have charities, but someone else runs them. One is the owner of a very large corporation, but does not do the day to day business of the corporation. She is the only shareholder of her father's corporation.

Many people in the top 1% do work very hard at professional occupations, but the very wealthy have no need to work, although I am sure that some do.

Old 07-10-2012, 03:19 PM

3,494 posts, read 4,663,141 times
Even so, op, you can't say that a person who happens to do all that is deserving of being rich. Also, you can't say those who are unable or unwilling to do those things aren't deserving of the same amount of resources as anyone else.

In other words, why should my ability to get money (and by extension; resources) be a function of my ability to "answer a phone fast"?

I don't disagree with your point, necessarily, but you come across as though you think this is "the way it should be"...which I don't think is true.

If you arbitrary emphasize certain skills as the root of richness, naturally and rightly so, skills that happen to be in your favor, then those who happen to not have those skills, but others, are likely to do the same. For example, the ability to "put a cap in your ass, and take your ish.."

You see where I'm going with this?

Old 07-10-2012, 03:20 PM

5,522 posts, read 10,180,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redvelvet709 View Post
I am certain that stat is incorrect, but let's say it is correct.. that's 4% who did. Therefore, it can be done with drive, will power and dedication.

Actually it is correct, there was a multigenerational study released just today.

70% of all people born in poverty fail to even make it to the middle income quintile. Only 4% will ever make it to the highest income quintile.

In the USA, where you are born continues to be the biggest predictor of where you will be as an adult.

Old 07-10-2012, 03:28 PM

5,522 posts, read 10,180,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
these articles would contradict that statement

Rags To Riches: 10 Self-Made CEOs Who Started With Nothing (PHOTOS)

25 Visionaries Who Created Empires From Virtually Nothing | Business Pundit (starting with Warren Buffet, of course).

From Poverty To Power: Celebrities Who Started With Nothing (I didn't read the whole article, I wonder if Dolly Parton was included).

Just google it for more....

20yrisnBranson

First thing, celebrities, especially musicians and athletes, can not be included. They have special talents that cannot be replicated, often no matter how hard one works at it.

Second thing, those lists are just a fraction of people in the 1%. There are millions more members of that club. Cherry picking a few cases does not negate the big picture.

http://www.pewstates.org/research/reports/pursuing-the-american-dream-85899403228

There is NOT unlimited room at the table. For every 4 people who make it from poverty to the top income quintile, 96 wont, and over 70 of them wont even make it to the middle income quintile.

That is ACTUAL fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies