Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2012, 07:42 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
No we dont, income inequality is the BIGGEST issue facing the country today. Sweeping it under the rug, pretending its a non issue, or outright holding those who acknowledge it in contempt, are delusional, self serving, or both.
Because after all this time of offshoring, all we have left in the US is basically service type jobs which don't pay much.

Walmart is the largest employer in the US. What does that tell you about our society ?

Walmart of all companies and industries.

Not any automaker, not any high tech company, not any "skills" type of company.

And you can blame the "consumer" who wanted cheap prices which fueled the offshoring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2012, 07:47 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,198,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Because after all this time of offshoring, all we have left in the US is basically service type jobs which don't pay much.

Walmart is the largest employer in the US. What does that tell you about our society ?

And you can blame the "consumer" who wanted cheap prices which fueled the offshoring.

Um, no, you can blame profiteering companies, who didnt "drop prices" when they offshored, they just boosted corporate profits.

Old 07-11-2012, 09:46 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:

Blame the consumer? The consumer buys whatever is available. If you need shoes, you buy a pair of shoes. Now, who wants to pay more? Not me! But I don't recall any huge clamor for lower prices. They just happened. And of course, consumers buy more when the price per item is lower.

Old 07-11-2012, 02:06 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,592,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaimuki View Post
It's quite clear to me the OP was intended to start a fight over two classes of people: the rich, the poor. This is really starting to get childish. Don't we have better things to do.
Exactly.

OP calls Obama a "divider" but doesnt want to talk about Romney and his international investments and Swiss portfolio.

Romney wants everyone except the 1% kicked to the streets.

Those of us on this board have seen the OPs tactics for the past few years.
She is the divider,lol.

Old 07-11-2012, 02:16 PM

798 posts, read 1,034,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
Exactly.

OP calls Obama a "divider" but doesnt want to talk about Romney and his international investments and Swiss portfolio.

Romney wants everyone except the 1% kicked to the streets.

Those of us on this board have seen the OPs tactics for the past few years.
She is the divider,lol.
Obama is not the divider. Obama is the main subject among the divide.

The dividers are Congress, Political Parties, and the Voters of America.

Old 07-11-2012, 02:48 PM

170 posts, read 129,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
The words come to me because this POTUS is using them over and over and to me he is the biggest divider....I expected him to bring the country closer but instead he did everything the opposite, now we have class warfare started by him...

All I wanted to try to bring across is that people who are rich which according to Obama is people who make over $250K, which to me is not rich but making a good living.....POTUS uses these words and I believe that people who don't have as much can easily do things to make a better life...does that mean they will immediately become rich, no but you have to start some where.

As a realtor you know which kind of people reply fast and who are hardly ever replying...usually the people with more money will reply faster...people who will not show up for appointments are overal the people with less money...
It's not him that's diving the country. Its the people who led our nation into recession and then made millions. It's the people who were thoughtless towards their fellow man and sought to make a buck literally any way possible.

Actually, the worst clients that I have had when I worked insurance were the extremely wealthy. They would not reply back in a timely manner with paper work and then demand that their policy be in force by a certain date. I would kindly explain to them that in order to do so we need certain things to be filled out and that by law I could not fill certain things out. Of course not every wealthy client or person is like that.

It's really stupid to make a blanket statement that poor people don't respond back on time. REALLY stupid.

Old 07-11-2012, 03:00 PM

170 posts, read 129,239 times
Quote:

Not the consumer, the "job creators" are the ones who shipped the factories off-shore. The average new car in the 1950s cost $1500. That is $12,000 in 2010 dollars. Cars were made domestically back then, and the average purchase price for a new car is around 28k. With that said cars do feature more technological features and thus are more mechanically complex. If consumers were able to pay prices back then that were reasonable and CEOs were not gauging the consumers and labor and that shareholders cared about the tiniest percentages as they do now, then it's probably not the consumers that are driving manufacturing offshore...or labor. Management is driving manufacturing offshore to create more profits.

Old 07-11-2012, 03:30 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,204,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
wow, OP makes a few salient points.

Everyone should aspire to be like Mitt, who is surely going to heaven . What a role model for our kids.

Mitt Romney is a man who became rich by causing financial pain to families. His company, Bain Capital, destroyed companies and cost thousands of people their jobs so a few rich people could get richer. Mitt Romney could care less about the middle class in America as long as his bank account gets fatter.
Mitt doesn’t care about this man and he doesn’t care about you. If you aren’t rich, you don’t count as a person to Mitt Romney.
Even Newt Gingrich, says Mitt Romney is a liar. That’s pretty bad.

Greedy Republicans
Do you know anything about Bain that wasn't given to you in an Obama campaign commercial? With all due respect, this is one of the most ignorant posts I have seen in a long, long time. What would you rather have happen? 2,000 people be laid off, or a company employing 20,000 people go out of business? Companies such as Bain create more jobs in the end of the day, but obviously you want to focus on the 2,000 jobs lost, not the 18,000 jobs saved.

Here is an idea, get in touch with someone who works for a company such as Bain and ask them what they do day to day. You might be surprised at how it is nothing like how Obama and co. paint it.

Old 07-11-2012, 03:43 PM

1,808 posts, read 4,038,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Do you know anything about Bain that wasn't given to you in an Obama campaign commercial? With all due respect, this is one of the most ignorant posts I have seen in a long, long time. What would you rather have happen? 2,000 people be laid off, or a company employing 20,000 people go out of business? Companies such as Bain create more jobs in the end of the day, but obviously you want to focus on the 2,000 jobs lost, not the 18,000 jobs saved.

Here is an idea, get in touch with someone who works for a company such as Bain and ask them what they do day to day. You might be surprised at how it is nothing like how Obama and co. paint it.
Here is an idea. Look up the difference between venture capitalism and vulture capitalism and let me know what you think Bain falls under. I will be waiting for a response.

Old 07-11-2012, 04:18 PM

3,398 posts, read 5,105,330 times
An example of vulture capitalism is Solyndra This involves giving massive amounts of tax payer money to a dying business in an attempt to save jobs. But, nothing changes, it dies anyway, people lose their jobs and the whole thing costs the tax payers.

Venture capitalism is a way of investing. As with any investment there are risks. They take risks by buying failing businesses with private money and salvaging what they can for a profit. If they can save part of something some jobs are saved. Other times it is better to just close it down and sell off whatever assets there are. In business there are gains and losses every day. Businesses fail. They will be businesses that fail with or without venture capitalism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies