U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2012, 05:32 PM

1,635 posts, read 1,475,111 times

Advertisements

Some on the California board said they were.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2012, 05:34 PM

26,270 posts, read 17,438,298 times
huh?

Old 07-10-2012, 05:37 PM

13,779 posts, read 8,823,637 times
In every thread on this issue we have a bunch of conservatives saying how we need to eliminate these programs but then when pressed, they admit to recieving Social Security and Medicare. Their logic is that they paid into the system all their lives and they are entitled to it. They just want to eliminate it for everyone else. So by conserviative standards, NO these programs are not welfare. They are entitlements, earned by the recipient by paying into it for their working lives.

Old 07-10-2012, 05:43 PM

86,067 posts, read 78,612,499 times
SS is like an annuity that you paid for. You gave the governnent money and they said you would have an umbrella when you got old. When you die no one gets your money (if single).

What about people that work 40 years and then drop dead and never even collected ?

SS and medicare are taken from your taxes for all your working years.
How can that possibly be compared to welfare ?

There's a difference between entitlements and an entitlement mentality with the latter thinking they should get something without having contributed anything.

Old 07-10-2012, 05:50 PM

14,372 posts, read 8,972,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
In every thread on this issue we have a bunch of conservatives saying how we need to eliminate these programs but then when pressed, they admit to recieving Social Security and Medicare. Their logic is that they paid into the system all their lives and they are entitled to it. They just want to eliminate it for everyone else. So by conserviative standards, NO these programs are not welfare. They are entitlements, earned by the recipient by paying into it for their working lives.

NO, we say it needs to be modified so it'll survive. All you see is "eliminate", and that's your problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post

What about people that work 40 years and then drop dead and never even collected ?

SS and medicare are taken from your taxes for all your working years.
How can that possibly be compared to welfare ?
My mom worked for 45 years and paid over 300K into SS. She passed at 73 only getting 1/2 of that back. Since she wasn;t married, the FEDs keep all of it. Not even a death benefit to the family.

Old 07-10-2012, 05:50 PM

1,698 posts, read 1,670,048 times
No.

Next inane question, please.

Old 07-10-2012, 06:00 PM

13,779 posts, read 8,823,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
NO, we say it needs to be modified so it'll survive. All you see is "eliminate", and that's your problem.

My mom worked for 45 years and paid over 300K into SS. She passed at 73 only getting 1/2 of that back. Since she wasn;t married, the FEDs keep all of it. Not even a death benefit to the family.

some say modified and I agree with that and it should be a bipartisan political effort by congress to tweek the SS system like was done in the 60s and 80s. Medicare needs major reform. But if you pull up some threads on this subject you will find numerous posts by various hard liners who want to dismantle medicare entirely and stop the current Social Security System and have individuals save their own money.

Old 07-10-2012, 06:07 PM

11,431 posts, read 17,696,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric Blue View Post
Some on the California board said they were.
I would think that a conservative would make that argument, not a liberal. As a fiscal conservative/social liberal, I would argue that Social security IS welfare because it is outright socialization of wages that are confiscated from workers and given to those that are "less fortunate" and those with more dependents (a group that is conferred "favored status" by government). They receive much more benefit than single wage earners ever could. You could also say that it is a welfare entitlement because it is never guaranteed to anyone, not a true "insurance". You could die before the age of entitlement (currently 62 at the youngest age) and get squat.

Old 07-10-2012, 06:16 PM

11,431 posts, read 17,696,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post

I'm sorry for your mom's experience. This is exactly my fate I'm afraid. I wouldn't mind if they just gave me all of the $$ that was stolen from me with nominal interest. They are robbing single people blind and giving it to a bunch of poor people and immigrants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies