Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2012, 05:21 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,003,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I got one job offer after college - it was in Boston. I applied everywhere from companies anywhere from Atlanta to San Francisco to the McDonald's down the street from my parents' house. I frittered away my savings getting to job interviews in Charleston, SC, Memphis, and Charlotte. In the end, only a job in Boston came through. So, should I have gone on the dole? Or moved to a high cost of living and hope nothing devastating happened to screw with my finances? I played the latter, and did fine for the 4 months before I got cancer.

Now, most people don't have something so devastating happen. But also most young people have at least some student loans (I did not). Almost all of my classmates ended up in Boston, NYC, Chicago, LA, or San Francisco - some of the most expensive real estate markets in the country. That was not for lack of trying in lower cost markets - the expensive cities are where the jobs are.

So, are you OK subsidizing our turning down jobs in high cost of living areas or are you going to keep complaining about initiatives to provide lower cost housing in these areas?
Yeah I believe your job search nonsense. If you want a job there are plenty to be found. Appears you weren't looking hard enough or you thought because you had a degree you deserve some six figure job outta the gate. Don't work that way. You are really going to tell me the only places in the country hiring are in Boston, NYC, Chicago or LA? No that's where you wanted to go. You go there the cost of living is higher. Common sense stuff. Apparently you didn't take a common sense class in college.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2012, 05:22 PM

385 posts, read 358,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I got one job offer after college - it was in Boston. I applied everywhere from companies anywhere from Atlanta to San Francisco to the McDonald's down the street from my parents' house. I frittered away my savings getting to job interviews in Charleston, SC, Memphis, and Charlotte. In the end, only a job in Boston came through. So, should I have gone on the dole? Or moved to a high cost of living and hope nothing devastating happened to screw with my finances? I played the latter, and did fine for the 4 months before I got cancer.

Now, most people don't have something so devastating happen. But also most young people have at least some student loans (I did not). Almost all of my classmates ended up in Boston, NYC, Chicago, LA, or San Francisco - some of the most expensive real estate markets in the country. That was not for lack of trying in lower cost markets - the expensive cities are where the jobs are.

So, are you OK subsidizing our turning down jobs in high cost of living areas or are you going to keep complaining about initiatives to provide lower cost housing in these areas?
there should be no subsidizing in a free market economy, unfortunately usa is becoming if not already a centrally planned economy. So much for land of free and home of brave.

Sudsidizing ALWAYS screws up the economy, it throws money where it shouldn't be. It's the govt deciding where money should be spent, rather than free people who will spend it efficiently, while the govt will not.

Old 07-11-2012, 05:31 PM

15,861 posts, read 21,438,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Yeah I believe your job search nonsense. If you want a job there are plenty to be found. Appears you weren't looking hard enough or you thought because you had a degree you deserve some six figure job outta the gate. Don't work that way. You are really going to tell me the only places in the country hiring are in Boston, NYC, Chicago or LA? No that's where you wanted to go. You go there the cost of living is higher. Common sense stuff. Apparently you didn't take a common sense class in college.
When is the last time you job hunted?

I MOVED ACROSS THE COUNTRY for $35,000 a year. According to the various COL calculators, my starting pay was equivalent of $26,000 in Atlanta. Oh yes, I really wanted that 6 figure salary right out the gate.

And let me tell you, I really wanted to move to Memphis. Not. I didn't even want to move back to Atlanta, but I thought the COL would be lower. Unfortunately, the jobs were not there. The job was in Boston.

I also didn't work hard enough to prevent my cancer, so in reality I chose to pay for 6 months of chemo. Right? That's how it works in your world, after all.

The point of the matter is, there are low income people in major cities. There are people starting off their careers in major cities because that's where the bulk of the opportunities are. It's funny to me that you complain that I must have wanted a 6 figure salary, but have spent a whole thread complaining about initiatives to support investment in teeny tiny apartments that would allow for affordable living for those of us who ARE starting from the bottom. We have to live somewhere, and as more well established people have to uproot from their homes to MOVE WHERE THE JOBS ARE (ie. major cities) or are foreclosed on, the rental market is getting tighter and tighter.

Old 07-11-2012, 05:44 PM

"There are people starting off their careers in major cities because that's where the bulk of the opportunities are."

So you wanted to be in the city you chose. Deal with it and stop crying. Live in your jail cell. I don't really care. If that is how you want to live because you think that is where the opportunities are have at it. The cost of your jail cell is a house payment for some in the real world. But they aren't in the "big city" and hip. lol

Old 07-11-2012, 05:46 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,204,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
So let me get this straight.

These people pay huge amounts of money for toilet bowls to live in, yet spend no time there because they're out partying all the time.

Am I right so far?

How much is that partying costing them? Wouldn't they be better off spending that money on a bigger apartment?
Who would live in a place that looks like s**t? Small does not equate to crappy. Personally? I make a six figure salary and would be more than happy to live in a 300 sqft place. My backyard is the city. I am only home to sleep because I actually live my life instead of hanging out at home all of the time. Why the hell would I ever spend money on a place to live?

Old 07-11-2012, 05:47 PM

15,861 posts, read 21,438,888 times
Quote:
"There are people starting off their careers in major cities because that's where the bulk of the opportunities are."

So you wanted to be in the city you chose. Deal with it and stop crying. Live in your jail cell. I don't really care. If that is how you want to live because you think that is where the opportunities are have at it. The cost of your jail cell is a house payment for some in the real world. But they aren't in the "big city" and hip. lol
So then why do you continue to complain about those who are simply trying to do what you yourself have suggested - sucking it up, going where the jobs are, and making sacrifices in order to succeed?

If you were unemployed and searching for jobs nationally, would you turn down a job in NYC when you don't know when your next opportunity will come around?

Old 07-11-2012, 05:56 PM

Hell yes I would because it costs too damn much to live there to begin with. Actually I wouldn't be looking for jobs nationally.

Old 07-11-2012, 06:13 PM

3,501 posts, read 3,134,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
You're going to have trouble explaining that bit of nonsense.

Bloomie was a democrat

Then he became a republican.

Now he's independent.

So let's go over your theory of partisanship. Humor me.
What part of my remarks don't you understand? Conservatives are losing their minds about him limiting the size of their sodas, ferchrissakes. But when he gives them more choices in matters like housing? The same people also lose their minds.

There's no partisanship involved in that bizarro contradiction, I'm sure (/sarcasm)

Old 07-11-2012, 06:22 PM

Quote:

I hope you never have the cojones to complain about elitist attitudes from those big city folks, since you've shown quite an acumen for elitism yourself.

BTW, are you saying that big cities aren't part of the real world?

Last edited by quigboto; 07-11-2012 at 07:34 PM..

Old 07-11-2012, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Hell yes I would because it costs too damn much to live there to begin with.
So, you would agree that making the cost of living more reasonable makes sense, which is what these small, affordable apartments are all about.

Hooray for logic!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies