Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 02:29 PM

3,417 posts, read 3,072,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
See that's why folks don't take complaints like yours seriously. You spew non. Sense with the intent to stifle debate. I pointed out you were wrong about voter ID laws and how charges of racism could be construed as racist, and you come back with this. You didn't even have a half hearted attempt to defend you position, you went straight with this. I think this is a terrific example of what this thread is about. Well done!
I actually posted links to give examples of why accusations occur, but you simply chose to ignore them. my guess is, you will read them, and dismiss them as not being racist, which will be your opinion, much like my opinion is the voter ID laws are racially motivated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2012, 02:30 PM

3,417 posts, read 3,072,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Why quote me when you don't respond to any of the questions I posed? Nice sidestep, amigo. Why didn't you answer the question???
I answered your question, you just didnt like it.

Old 07-11-2012, 02:32 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,358,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
And any time a person starts a thread, or makes a point about defending racism or using premise of false racism, I realize how overly defensive some people feel the need to be about it.
Every time a lefty posts a statement that is virtually impossible to deceipher, I suspect marijuana use. lol.

Old 07-11-2012, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
I answered your question, you just didnt like it.

So I take it the answer is that yes, your accusations of racism are predicated on whether the accused aligns with you politically. You would accuse a right-winger when you think the opportunity is there, but not, say, a Harry Reid over his 'light skinned' comment?

Just looking for a little clarity here.

Old 07-11-2012, 02:36 PM

798 posts, read 1,034,432 times
Quote:
Why quote me when you don't respond to any of the questions I posed? Nice sidestep, amigo. Why didn't you answer the question???
I'll answer the question for you. The issue is not with describing people based on one's skin color. Again, that is not the definition of racism. The problem is that some people will describe a minority in a way that is condescending, such as:

"slaves to the Democrats."
"black people vote Democrat to get freebies."
"get off the Democrat plantation."

The above descriptions are insulting, and refer to a period of time when blacks were slaves in order to create a metaphor to the current time. This is usually done by certain conservatives, who then play the victim when someone calls them out on it. It is the manner in which you say it. You don't have to be politically correct, but you can't insult somebody while being blunt. Again, I don't believe many people know the true definition of "racist" but oh well.

Old 07-11-2012, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Every time a lefty posts a statement that is virtually impossible to deceipher, I suspect marijuana use. lol.
The comment is actually pretty simple to understand. He is saying that people are getting defensive when others call them racist. Didn't think that needed simplifying but there you go. When you call people racist for calling you racist, you are being defensive. I'm not racist, you're racist is a defensive argument.

Old 07-11-2012, 02:39 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,750,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
I actually posted links to give examples of why accusations occur, but you simply chose to ignore them. my guess is, you will read them, and dismiss them as not being racist, which will be your opinion, much like my opinion is the voter ID laws are racially motivated.
I didn't ignore them but I do not think they are emblamatic of Republicans any more than Jesse Jackson's characterization of NYC as Hymie town is emblematic of anti semitism by African Americans. You claim voter ID laws are racist yet fail to point out why you believe whites are superior to AA in their ability to comply with the law. You describe what you believe is the motivation.

Old 07-11-2012, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaySwelly View Post
I'll answer the question for you. The issue is not with describing people based on one's skin color. Again, that is not the definition of racism. The problem is that some people will describe a minority in a way that is condescending, such as:

"slaves to the Democrats."
"black people vote Democrat to get freebies."
"get off the Democrat plantation."

The above descriptions are insulting, and refer to a period of time when blacks were slaves in order to create a metaphor to the current time. This is usually done by certain conservatives, who then play the victim when someone calls them out on it. It is the manner in which you say it. You don't have to be politically correct, but you can't insult somebody while being blunt. Again, I don't believe many people know the true definition of "racist" but oh well.

Often times we hear black conservatives such as Allen West and Clarence Thomas called 'Uncle Toms.' Is this not a description that is 'insulting' and 'refer to a period of time when blacks were slaves?' What is your opinion on this kind of invective coming from the left?

Old 07-11-2012, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Often times we hear black conservatives such as Allen West and Clarence Thomas called 'Uncle Toms.' Is this not a description that is 'insulting' and 'refer to a period of time when blacks were slaves?' What is your opinion on this kind of invective coming from the left?
It's not from the left. It's left-leaning black people. They are the only ones that use this term. I'm black but I don't use it and I don't think it should be used. However, it might be warranted. When West and Thomas speak, they are condescending concerning black people. Their wording can be seen as disrespectful. Saying stuff like "I escaped the Democratic plantation" or "I'm a modern day Harriet Tubman" suggests that blacks voting Democrat are slaves. But remember blacks in the past were enslaved by force. Black people are voting Democrat by choice. The difference between them and Rev. Sharpton is that Sharpton does not disrespect blacks in lower classes.

The difference lies in who is doing the name-calling. A black person calling another black man an Uncle Tom is not racist. Allen West calling black Democrats "slaves" is not racist. Racism implies hatred, and that's not what is being done here. Whites calling blacks "slaves to the Democrats" isn't technically racist but probably shouldn't be done. It's not appropriate, but since it's not hatred, I can't say it's racist either.

Old 07-11-2012, 03:12 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,219,329 times
One word answers the Op.
Absolutely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies