Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 11:23 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,669,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
My keyboard doesn't represent the USA in a world venue.

My keyboard doesn't represent the USA in a world venue with a HUGE CORPORATE ADVERTISING LOGO on it. That REEKS of corporate blackmail and control and shouldn't have a place in the Olympics..

However, maybe it's very representative of the United States of Corporations, the Repug dream....
This post could be the biggest FAIL post I've ever seen. That's your excuse? I will certainly give you credit for dredging the far reaches of your cranium to come up with something this humorous and silly. Good job!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2012, 11:25 AM

17,795 posts, read 13,692,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
The economic realities are that big government has made it unprofitable and very difficult to manufacture in the USA compared to other countries with fewer regulations.
They can pay people 10 cents an hour and work them 80 hours a week in those other countries.

Since workers have no real value to the modern corporate world the idea that these companies would stay in America if it wasn't for "big government" is a joke..

Old 07-13-2012, 11:27 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,781,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
For those who want to put all these Americans back to work making olympic cloths... Do you all realize how little that type of work pays in the states? I imagine it's also not exactly easy to find the right people with the right skillset for this work either. Jobs like these have been leaving the country for decades. As they become more scarce, the skills tend to fade away. With no jobs available, why bother learning how to make cloths like the Olympic uniforms? And why bother learning when the job goes for a few bucks above minimum wage???

So it is completely understandable WHY we cannot make our own Olympic uniforms anywhere. If anything, it's sad, scary and pathetic how dependent we have become as a nation.
Are you serious? There are plenty of American textile companies in the US.

America Clothing factories in the USA

The point is, the committe should have thought about the fact that there are options within the US when there are companies all over the US that would have welcomed the honor of being able to make the clothes.

I think you don't realize how much is made in the US. Here is a list of websites where you can find most anything you want.

Made in America Resource Guide: Where to Find American Companies? - ABC News

What appears to be a problem is that Americans aren't willing or able to pay the higher price. The benefits of buying goods made in America is that they are produced based on US standards, creates revenue and money stays within the economy. I've seen segments on talk shows where goods made in America are being promoted. I think more awareness is needed for people to stop and think and look - look at the label, or take the time and go online where you can find anything you want. Seeing these segments made me think and look further as to what America has to offer and having educated myself I'm willing to spend the extra.

We've been "trained" to accept that everything comes from outside, in particular China. We have read about the toxic goods that come into the country. Counterfeit drugs such as heparin, which caused almost 100 deaths in the US. Toxic drywall (is it in your home?). Recently is was toxic dog treats made in China that caused the death of hundreds of dogs.

Old 07-13-2012, 11:29 AM

4,078 posts, read 5,606,903 times
Congress could do something. Too bad they are a "Do Nothing Congress".

Old 07-13-2012, 11:33 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,300,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
The economic realities are that big government has made it unprofitable and very difficult to manufacture in the USA compared to other countries with fewer regulations.

The economic realities are that unless American workers are willing to work for $2 an hour you can kiss those manufacturing jobs good-bye forever. There is no amount of regulation reduction the make up for the huge discrepancy in labor cost here in the United States versus countries like Vietnam, Malaysia, China, Mexico and other low-wage countries.

Also the many of those regulations make workplaces, safer, healthier, and consistent with the nations values of equal rights and equal opportunity for all Americans. So of course you as a conservative would object to such things.

Old 07-13-2012, 01:43 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,150,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
You are exactly right, and frankly, I will happily buy foreign made clothes rather than buy union made clothes. Unions are the bane of society.

Wonderful anti-American sentiment...the hatred you have for your fellow Americans and the love and extreme loyalty you have for other countires is mind boggling....but I bet ya stand for the National Anthem....like any traitor would....to hide the hate...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
This post could be the biggest FAIL post I've ever seen. That's your excuse? I will certainly give you credit for dredging the far reaches of your cranium to come up with something this humorous and silly. Good job!
And this post was just plum full of facts and meaningful thoughts

Try really hard to actually make an intelligent statement without hurting yourself

Old 07-13-2012, 01:52 PM

4,300 posts, read 4,408,773 times
The Olympic team wouldn't have been able to afford these if they were made the USA. The military is the only organization that can make a beret work. They look like mimes.

Old 07-13-2012, 01:58 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,930,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
The economic realities are that unless American workers are willing to work for $2 an hour you can kiss those manufacturing jobs good-bye forever. There is no amount of regulation reduction the make up for the huge discrepancy in labor cost here in the United States versus countries like Vietnam, Malaysia, China, Mexico and other low-wage countries.

Also the many of those regulations make workplaces, safer, healthier, and consistent with the nations values of equal rights and equal opportunity for all Americans. So of course you as a conservative would object to such things.
You just cannot make a post without sneaking in a personal attack can you? So much for any credibility.

I have no problem with safer and healthier workplaces. American workers in manufacturing sectors will never get their jobs returned to these shores unless they are willing to:

a) educate the American consumer and get them to pay more
b) work for less (be it wages or pensions/benefits)
c) vote out politicians who support the international trade treaties which give preference to developing nations over the USA

Wake up and smell the coffee. You simply are not facing reality if you think the entire word is going to raise the standards of pay/safety to meet that of the US manufacturing workplace. The methods of collectivisation in the Marxist labor movement have always been that of parity which lowers the bar, not raises it. More $$ for the union bosses in Big Labor and Big Government and less for the average middle class American.

You want a piece of ownership then work for companies which offer either stock options or are "employee owned". Otherwise, sink that paycheck into shares instead of toys and TVs.

Old 07-13-2012, 03:22 PM

21,132 posts, read 19,707,707 times
Shouldn't they be wearing the same uniform as the Chinese? After all, they own us.

Old 07-13-2012, 03:53 PM

19,840 posts, read 12,099,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Ralph Lauren who had his GIANT logo embroidered on OUR Olympic uniforms, gets his clothes(his wealth) from sweatshops....great advertising for the US....

he person who is responsible for these should be deported as a traitor...
Too lenient for such a crime against country...off with his head!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies