Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2012, 02:36 PM

3,382 posts, read 4,080,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaySwelly View Post
Actually that's not necessarily the case. Al Sharpton actually does a lot of good for the black community and promotes applying for jobs and better life qualities among blacks. The media makes Sharpton seem like a race baiter but he truly isn't. And the problem isn't growing. If anything the situation is improving as more blacks attend college, become educated, and understand how to manage finances, raise a family, establish a career etc.

What Bill Cosby said is true. But let's face it, no matter what race you are, nobody likes taking the blame. Black families that are interested in moving up in the world have these kinds of conversations at dinner.
oh wow, sharpton does a lot of good for the black community? who are you trying to fool? sharpton does nothing but create more issues. He is probably even worse then jackson.

Old 07-12-2012, 02:51 PM

798 posts, read 1,034,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
oh wow, sharpton does a lot of good for the black community? who are you trying to fool? sharpton does nothing but create more issues. He is probably even worse then jackson.
I'll respectfully disagree with you and leave it at that.

What I will say is that I saw you and HappyTexan debating over who deserves the blame for the behavior of certain young blacks. I blame the parents 100%. If you let your kid end up like that, it is your fault. You can grow up in an environment that is filled with terrible things and end up being a true businessman. Case and point: Emmitt Smith. The teacher isn't allowed to reprimand the student at all, and parents take their immature kid's side over that of a tenured teacher. Let them watch whatever they want on TV. Don't check out their friends to see what kind of things they are up to. No curfew. See, parents want to be their kids' friends, but end up being their kids' worst enemies.

As far as race goes, libs may race-bait, but cons fall for it every time. If you know they are race-baiting, why respond. They are race-baiting, which means they mean to incite a response out of you in order for you to say something that can be construed as disrespectful. Besides, the cons aren't exactly respectful of a minority's pride in the first place, so to me, neither party deserves the minority vote. The Dems are less obvious about it so they get the minorities in the end.

Again to the OP, I know what you are trying to do, and I agree. But posting in a forum like this only generates malicious arguing. If you wanted to concentrate on crime in the black community, you should have posted this on a black forum. If you wanted to concentrate on crime in Chicago, then race should have never been brought up. Most people here seem to be concerned with bringing violent crime down. In that case, why don't we just talk about ways to curtail criminal behavior and/or detain criminals, not the race of the criminals in question?

Old 07-12-2012, 02:58 PM

Quote:
I'll respectfully disagree with you and leave it at that.

What I will say is that I saw you and HappyTexan debating over who deserves the blame for the behavior of certain young blacks. I blame the parents 100%. If you let your kid end up like that, it is your fault. You can grow up in an environment that is filled with terrible things and end up being a true businessman. Case and point: Emmitt Smith. The teacher isn't allowed to reprimand the student at all, and parents take their immature kid's side over that of a tenured teacher. Let them watch whatever they want on TV. Don't check out their friends to see what kind of things they are up to. No curfew. See, parents want to be their kids' friends, but end up being their kids' worst enemies.

As far as race goes, libs may race-bait, but cons fall for it every time. If you know they are race-baiting, why respond. They are race-baiting, which means they mean to incite a response out of you in order for you to say something that can be construed as disrespectful. Besides, the cons aren't exactly respectful of a minority's pride in the first place, so to me, neither party deserves the minority vote. The Dems are less obvious about it so they get the minorities in the end.

Again to the OP, I know what you are trying to do, and I agree. But posting in a forum like this only generates malicious arguing. If you wanted to concentrate on crime in the black community, you should have posted this on a black forum. If you wanted to concentrate on crime in Chicago, then race should have never been brought up. Most people here seem to be concerned with bringing violent crime down. In that case, why don't we just talk about ways to curtail criminal behavior and/or detain criminals, not the race of the criminals in question?
you can take 2 kids that grow up in the same household, raised the same way, and yet they end up completely different. this is fact. And Emmitt Smith the "projects" where he grew up are actually pretty decent, and he had a fairly decent childhood.

Old 07-12-2012, 03:12 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,648,279 times
Quote:
you can take 2 kids that grow up in the same household, raised the same way, and yet they end up completely different. this is fact. And Emmitt Smith the "projects" where he grew up are actually pretty decent, and he had a fairly decent childhood.
Yes, Smith had two parents and a middle-class upbringing, and he had a financial head start on life because he was an NFL player.

Old 07-12-2012, 03:18 PM

798 posts, read 1,034,432 times
Quote:
True. But if the parents disciplined the child correctly and the child turned out to be a bad apple, the blame still lies on the parent. And in most cases, no two children are raised the same way. The 1st child is almost always treated differently than any other child, and changes are made with each one regarding period in the child's life.

And if you don't want to use Emmitt, there's John H. Johnson, creator of Ebony magazine.

Old 07-12-2012, 03:40 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,126,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Given the nature of hatred and prejudice, there would have been another group who would have been scapegoated. Without blacks there probably would have been no "white" Americans, just European nationalities who hated each other in the New World just like they did in the Old.

I take it you're unaware of the Five Points and Gangs of New York, and totally unaware of the 19th century US. Since we're talking about Chicago here, you're aware that Chicago in 1900 had the highest violent crime <a class="inlineAdmedialink" href="#">rate</a> of any city in the world (twice as high as New York and four times as high as London) and the black population of Chicago back then was very small.
Great post.

Old 07-12-2012, 03:43 PM

Quote:
True. But if the parents disciplined the child correctly and the child turned out to be a bad apple, the blame still lies on the parent. And in most cases, no two children are raised the same way. The 1st child is almost always treated differently than any other child, and changes are made with each one regarding period in the child's life.

And if you don't want to use Emmitt, there's John H. Johnson, creator of Ebony magazine.
I don't need to use anyone, I can use my wife. If you know Chicago at all, she grew up in the Roseland neighborhood. Her father went to prison when she was 13 and her mother was left raising 5 kids making barely over minimum wage. She is now the majority stock holder of the telecom and data corporation we run. She did not let society dictate to her how she was to end up. My sister in law was the same way. she is an executive for a large publishing firm. But 2 of their siblings didnt turn out the same.

Old 07-12-2012, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Yes, Smith had two parents and a middle-class upbringing, and he had a financial head start on life because he was an NFL player.
and he has always cared about giving back to his community. If you go to the highschool he graduated from, the foot ball field is remarkable, and Smith donated most of the money for it.

Old 07-12-2012, 03:46 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,126,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim6624 View Post
Don't dress like a thug and maybe you won't be profiled.

I never hear clean-cut, professional Blacks crying about profiling.
Me and my roommate. My best friend. My dad.

That's 4 off the top of my head.

I'm a business owner, my dad's a business owner, my roommate is a senior consultant, and my best friend is a very kind, respectable guy.

Four outstanding citizens that have been victims of racial profiling.

Old 07-12-2012, 03:49 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Me and my roommate. My best friend. My dad.

That's 4 off the top of my head.

I'm a business owner, my dad's a business owner, my roommate is a senior consultant, and my best friend is a very kind, respectable guy.

Four outstanding citizens that have been victims of racial profiling.
Sorry to hear that. But what causes that profile to be created to begin with ?
LE's don't just sit there and make up profiles. They use crime statistics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies