U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 07:01 AM

18,626 posts, read 18,487,887 times

Advertisements

Majority Black city that fails to educate its young people adequetely, so logical conclusion sue the school district?

As if simply throwing more money at the problem will fix anything. Oh well I guess something has to be done.
Quote:

The ACLU class-action lawsuit, to be filed Thursday, says hundreds of students in the Highland Park School District are functionally illiterate.

“None of those adults charged with the care of these children . . . have done their jobs,” said Kary L. Moss, executive director of the ACLU of Michigan. “The Highland Park School District is among the lowest-performing districts in the nation, graduating class after class of children who are not literate. Our lawsuit . . . says that if education is to mean anything, it means that children have a right to learn to read.”
The complaint, to be filed in state court in Wayne County, is based on a 1993 state law that says if public school students are not proficient in reading, as determined by tests given in grades 4 and 7, they must be provided “special assistance” to bring them to grade level within a year.
Sample of students' writing here:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/r/2010...%20Samples.pdf

Quote:
One student in the Highland Park district, a 14-year-old boy named Quentin, just finished seventh grade. Quentin, whose mother asked that his last name be withheld, reads at a first-grade level, according to an expert hired by the ACLU.
When asked to compose a letter to Snyder to describe his school, Quentin misspelled his own name, writing, “My name is Quemtin . . . and you can make the school gooder by geting people that will do the jod that is pay for get a football tame for the kinds mybe a baksball tamoe get a other jamtacher for the school get a lot of tacher.”
Rate this post positively

Old 07-12-2012, 07:05 AM

11,531 posts, read 9,846,871 times
Many if not most in the right wing conclude that most of the blame falls on teachers and schools.

Do you agree with them or not???????????

Crickets..

Old 07-12-2012, 07:10 AM

69,549 posts, read 52,277,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
Many if not most in the right wing conclude that most of the blame falls on teachers and schools.

Crickets..
I think most of them start with the parents first....but all that does is set off another pointless rounds of finger pointing and cries of racism so I think *duh* pretty much everyone acknowledges it's first and foremost the parents and move on to other possible problems with the scenario.

P.S. The vast majority of troubled schools like this are in areas with a negligible number of conservatives. Thus I find it funny that the ones most concerned are generally not living in those areas and also funny that the libs in the area are afraid to tackle the root problem lest they offend anyone.

Old 07-12-2012, 07:11 AM

14,085 posts, read 26,860,369 times
The student listed is in the 7th grade and cannot hardly read or write. Though it's also his parents' job to help educate him, it's the school system's job not to pass him onto the next grade if he can't read or write. He's now in the 7th grade and writes at an elementary school grade level. What's wrong with this picture?

Old 07-12-2012, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I think most of them start with the parents first....but all that does is set off another pointless rounds of finger pointing and cries of racism so I think *duh* pretty much everyone acknowledges it's first and foremost the parents and move on to other possible problems with the scenario.
Really, I rarely if ever see a thread on here or hear a pundit blame parents for poor academic performance. Care to show me a few???

Old 07-12-2012, 07:18 AM

14,295 posts, read 9,238,345 times
Quote:

Crickets..
Of course their teachers were not doing their jobs, if they kept passing illiterate students on to the next grade.

Their parents probably just assumed their kids were getting an education. I have to wonder, because it seems like these parents never read books with their children, and apparently never helped them with their homework.

Old 07-12-2012, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Of course their teachers were not doing their jobs, if they kept passing illiterate students on to the next grade.

Their parents probably just assumed their kids were getting an education. I have to wonder, because it seems like these parents never read books with their children, and apparently never helped them with their homework.
the OP probably disagrees with you, he is mocking the ACLU who had this to say

Quote:
“None of those adults charged with the care of these children . . . have done their jobs,” said Kary L. Moss, executive director of the ACLU of Michigan

Old 07-12-2012, 07:27 AM

18,626 posts, read 18,487,887 times
Quote:

Crickets..
I'm not certain if that's true but I definitely don't think it's solely or even mostly the teachers' fault. Liberals have removed discipline from the school so it's a challenge getting these kids to sit still and learn.

Still based on the article it appears some fault lies with the teachers as they appear to simply be warehousing the kids.

Old 07-12-2012, 07:37 AM

14,295 posts, read 9,238,345 times
Quote:
the OP probably disagrees with you, he is mocking the ACLU who had this to say
"None" as in not the teachers, and not the parents.

It makes a person wonder what kind of circumstances exist, and what pressures are being placed on teachers and staff, that would cause them to advance illiterate children to the next grade.

Old 07-12-2012, 07:40 AM

23,424 posts, read 17,374,663 times
Quote:

Crickets..
Yes, the obstacles that block improvements to the public education system are the unions and the lack of reforms addressing tenure.

Eliminate the unions and reform the tenure system, and also get take the pseudo-federal government out of the equation and you'll see massive improvement.

Blaming...

Mircea
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.