Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 11:43 AM

1,738 posts, read 2,077,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
If you really care about the well-being of children, your own, or others then you owe it to yourself to learn the truth about pedophiles, molesters, and other perverts. The truth is that 80% of all sexual acts directed at children are perpetrated by a family member, relative, or close friend of the family.

While most folk are making a fuss over Sandusky your own uncle Harvey, grandpa Smitty, aunt Mary, cousin Fred, sister Sue, friendly guy who is always there to help out is abusing your children. That is not to say that abuse occurs in all families but that when abuse does occur there is an 80% probability that it was committed my a close relative or friend.
Thank you!!!
ITA
and to add, if it's not a family member, it's probably a close trusted friend, babysitter, etc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2012, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
Enter Republican, exit all reasonable discussion. Woody Allen is still married to the person he was accused of abusing despite being hammered by the media for years. R Kelly had sex with an underage but willing girl, but he was also hammered by the media and his career was stunted.
Wow! yet lots and lots of common guys and gals (without money) spend decades even lifetimes on the registry, and under supervision for the exact same thing

Old 07-12-2012, 11:52 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,477,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M_Indie_08 View Post
Typical of a person who has joined the bandwagon to demonize someone (in case someone innocent) while failing to look at their own backyard.

It's been adequately determined he was anything but an innocent bystander. He actully took a very active part in stifling the investigation and/or any repercussions towards himself or the Penn State ~ guilty as hell!

Of course, you don't recognize other equally destrutive forms of child abuse, or other who have done the same as Sandusky because the media wants you to focus on this one instance because of Paternos iconic status

Oh yes I did with a couple of off topic references but I guess you didn't bother to read them!

Shame on you for focusing on one case of child abuse while millions of others are abused and society refuse to even acknowlege it, but rather glorifies it

Shame on you for elevating a damn football coach above the status he deserves as someone covering up child abuse to protect his image!

Like I said, selective outrage.....Brusan, you practice it
See my answer to your first accusation above!

Yep. This thread is about Sandusky, Joe Pap and Penn State or did I misread the title? The outrage expressed is naturally directed to that end.

You want to go off on ALL abuse of children; start another thread titled as such and I'll be more than happy to contribute my share.

Old 07-12-2012, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Typical of a person who has joined the bandwagon to demonize someone (in case someone innocent) while failing to look at their own backyard.

Of course, you don't recognize other equally destrutive forms of child abuse, or other who have done the same as Sandusky because the media wants you to focus on this one instance because of Paternos iconic status

Shame on you for focusing on one case of child abuse while millions of others are abused and society refuse to even acknowlege it, but rather glorifies it

Like I said, selective outrage.....Brusan, you practice it
What's more, a lot of people here support the PS victims getting windfalls of cash from settlements...why? because they happened to have molested by someone with a "name" and access to a school with cash. the avg sex abuse victim, is lucky to get quality therapy...
What's wrong with capping settlements at a reasonable amount (enough for long time therapy for THESE victims) and extra monies going to a general fund for abuse victims and programs to aid prevention of such abuse?

Old 07-12-2012, 11:59 AM

3,345 posts, read 3,073,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
See my answer to your first accusation above!

Yep. This thread is about Sandusky, Joe Pap and Penn State or did I misread the title? The outrage expressed is naturally directed to that end.

You want to go off on ALL abuse of children; start another thread titled as such and I'll be more than happy to contribute my share.
What I am saying is that the media has played all of the idiots..... yes, it is selective outrage

Paterno DID report it..... and thought it was done because nobody had come forward at that point

It is easy to convict and villify someone AFTER they are dead and cannot defend themselves

Old 07-12-2012, 12:07 PM

Quote:
What I am saying is that the media has played all of the idiots..... yes, it is selective outrage

Paterno DID report it..... and thought it was done because nobody had come forward at that point

It is easy to convict and villify someone AFTER they are dead and cannot defend themselves

Yep he reported it and when they went "holy crap keep this under your hat" he agreed and shut the hell up! When later administration types suggested they go public, take the hit and move on HE then engaged in a very active campaign of stifling them and coddling Sandusky with getting him retired and out of the lime light which only allowed Sandusky to continue using University grounds to carry on his sickness.

All this in the hopes that it would just go away and leave his career and legacy intact. Paterno's guiltier by far then you are making him out to be. Read the damn Freeh report bud before making any more idiotic posts in defence of this failed man.

Last edited by BruSan; 07-12-2012 at 12:40 PM..

Old 07-12-2012, 12:54 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
I don't see why you'd have to destroy the entire athletics program for the actions of a few very, very evil people. You'd be screwing over a whole lot of hardworking students.

Anyway, I laugh at everybody who defended Paterno like he was just a poor saintly old man caught up in a nasty little kerfuffle about pedophilia. Horse hockey, he was complicit in covering this thing up. Every single person who did NOTHING despite KNOWING what was going on deserves everything that happens to 'em from now till death.
Well, to use a sports metaphor, "that's the way the ball bounces". That's what happened at Illinois with their basketball slush fund; destroyed the basketball program for a long time, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
Enter Republican, exit all reasonable discussion. Woody Allen is still married to the person he was accused of abusing despite being hammered by the media for years. R Kelly had sex with an underage but willing girl, but he was also hammered by the media and his career was stunted.

"Selectively choosing to destroy" Joe Paterno who actively covered-up the life-destroying abuses of a staffer? Shame on the media... they also had unkind things to say about Jeffrey Dahmer. Only an A-hole would still see Paterno as heroic.
I'm sorry, there is no excuse for what Woody Allen did, either.

Quote:
This is a good point..... as always, there is this sad selective outrage by the *******s out there

Lets get outraged about adultery too since, I don't know, 1000x more families and kids are destroyed by this child abuse.... lets also get outraged by the way kids are left in cars while mommy is shoe shopping...... on a 90 degree day with the windows rolled up

I know, these are not old school icons like Paterno is.... the kind that the Libs want to do away with so the new icon in their all powerful government

Selective outrage is the tool of todays left
Off topic. "Adultery" is not a crime when it is consensual.

Quote:
Are you outraged over adultery?

If not, then you condone child abuse..... how about the way the media always coddles their own heroes like R Kelly and others?

I agree with you that Sandusky should rot but Paterno has been unfairly targeted specifically because he is an icon..... the ultimate responsibility lies with the U president and Paterno has been made out to be as bad as Sandusky when he did nothing wrong...... it is also convenient for the criminal media that he died and can't defent himself now
Paterno was told he was God so often he believed it. It's not like he had the stature of the women's gymnastics coach. He ruled up there in "Nirvana in the Mountains".

Quote:
Originally Posted by faeryedark View Post
Thank you!!!
ITA
and to add, if it's not a family member, it's probably a close trusted friend, babysitter, etc
Like Sandusky.

Old 07-12-2012, 01:14 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,580,303 times
I'm outraged when anyone abuses a child. I'm outraged if people have the opportunity to do something about it and allow it to continue - for 14 years! I'm further outraged if said person is by law a mandated reporter. Even further outrage comes into play when the reason for the cover-up is bad publicity versus some less powerful people staying quiet out of fear. It becomes worse when the person is the symbol of strength and integrity. This story is a tragedy, and like many tragedies, hubris served as the tragic flaw. The brainwashing in the case seems to have been applied to the people that minimize this is any way.

Yes, this story got more attention than it would from someone without notoriety. In response, I'll just quote the NCAA by-laws.

19.01.2 Exemplary Conduct. Individuals employed by or associated with member institutions for the administration,
the conduct or the coaching of intercollegiate athletics are, in the final analysis, teachers of young
people. Their responsibility is an affirmative one, and they must do more than avoid improper conduct or questionable
acts. Their own moral values must be so certain and positive that those younger and more pliable will be
influenced by a fine example. Much more is expected of them than of the less critically placed citizen.

Old 07-12-2012, 01:25 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,214,540 times
Why does Sanduskys guilt remove guilt from associated people?

It doesn't.

Many were wrong here and this report just confirm what most of us who have an understanding of State College knew when the initial story broke

That in 1998, many people in the organization knew of the investigation - up to and including the most influential person in the town, Joe Paterno

They tried to protect their image and treat a friend with compassion and in a delicate manner while removing themselves from the situation - despite a 40+ year assocation with the university & Paterno it was time for Sandusky to step into the shadows

In 2001 when the next allegation came up, everyone knew that it was bad - they knew it would be unfavorable for them once it was revealed that there was a similiar allegation that was known to them in 1998 .... they still could have probably saved some face and taken the appropriate actions to put a stop to the abuse and to save face

However, they let the abuse fester for another decade - they continued to enable Sandusky and put their first their own reputations, second the reputation of the football program and third the reputation of the university above the safety of young children ....... so they treated a criminal act as an administrative issue and swept it away the best they could

So while they did not perform the actual molestation - they failed to take action that any reasonable person would take to put an end to it

They served themselves before they served their community. They failed to act in the interest of the children.

They deserve to have their images tarnished.

They deserve any criminal prosecution that may come their way.

They deserve any civil suits that may follow.

I will not condemn the whole for the actions of the few - however, the few who chose actions that led to the systematic rape of young children need to be held accountable

Old 07-12-2012, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
I'm outraged when anyone abuses a child. I'm outraged if people have the opportunity to do something about it and allow it to continue - for 14 years! I'm further outraged if said person is by law a mandated reporter. Even further outrage comes into play when the reason for the cover-up is bad publicity versus some less powerful people staying quiet out of fear. It becomes worse when the person is the symbol of strength and integrity. This story is a tragedy, and like many tragedies, hubris served as the tragic flaw. The brainwashing in the case seems to have been applied to the people that minimize this is any way.

Yes, this story got more attention than it would from someone without notoriety. In response, I'll just quote the NCAA by-laws.

19.01.2 Exemplary Conduct. Individuals employed by or associated with member institutions for the administration,
the conduct or the coaching of intercollegiate athletics are, in the final analysis, teachers of young
people. Their responsibility is an affirmative one, and they must do more than avoid improper conduct or questionable
acts. Their own moral values must be so certain and positive that those younger and more pliable will be
influenced by a fine example. Much more is expected of them than of the less critically placed citizen.

Well that just about says it all and now we will wait to see how seriously they take that part of their own mission statement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies