Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 04:27 AM

3,160 posts, read 4,365,078 times

Advertisements

Its amazing how disgusting this whole thing has turned out to be. Paterno's lucky hes dead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2012, 04:49 AM

16,214 posts, read 11,325,556 times
The most damning evidence I've read to date was in the Philadelphia Inquirer a couple of days ago; inappropriate behavior by athletes has been a problem at many universities, but by some perverse turn, in Happy Valley the cover-up seems to have institutionalized itself. This is very hard to take for someone who started his affiliation with Penn State only a year after Paterno took the reins.

Probe into Penn State Athletics May Go Far Beyond Sandusky Scandal

The fraternitiy to which I belong had one of the better "social rooms" off campus at that time, and we paid some of the bills by renting it out -- football teams were a steady customer, and it's not until you meet them in that situation that you recognize that, no matter how hard the media tries to dispell it, players live under a diferent set of personal circumstances, Career considerations led me to move further away from Happy Valley in 1994, so I have little knowledge of how much stronger the "insulation" might have grown since that day, but it's no secret that the influence of alumni upon the University varied in a direct manner with relation to financial support. When the University re-named the program I'd taken for a donor I'd never heard of, that was the last straw.

Regrettably, in light of these latest embarrasments, one group that owes it to us all to speak out is Paterno's family; JoePa married fairly late; his widow is over ten years his junior, but still settled several years before the sexual revolution really took root; two of his sons are, respectively, a lawyer and an assistant coach, who played as a walk-on at the height of the program's success. I find it very hard to believe that young men with that much education, street-knowledge, and exposure to the workings of power could not have been aware of the pitfalls of Sandusky's rogue behavior in the Culture of Blame which had evolved by that time.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 07-13-2012 at 05:35 AM..

Old 07-13-2012, 05:14 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,749,701 times
Joe and co. should have had the balls to hang Sandusky in 98, but to avoid what would have been a short term scandal, they opted to ignore and their decision has branded PSU for a long time to come and will always be thought of when ever the name PSU is mentioned. Very sad for those who had no knowledge or involvement.

May your wretched soul burn in hell Joe, for what you did to the victims and PSU. You could have been a hero, but for the sake of greed opted not to!

Old 07-13-2012, 05:30 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
I dont get why many people were privy to the knowledge that Sandusky was a big q ee r who like raping young boys and nobody said anything about it?Maybe i'm not getting all the evidence but if i were in Paterno's capacity Sanduski would have been fired at the first knowledge of his perversion.

Old 07-13-2012, 05:56 AM

1,637 posts, read 1,880,558 times
It's quite a shame that Paterno isn't alive to see all of this. Although I suspect this case coming to light may have accelerated his demise. The guilt may have sucked all the life out of him, if he even had any .

Old 07-13-2012, 10:55 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,749,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyjohnny38 View Post
It's quite a shame that Paterno isn't alive to see all of this. Although I suspect this case coming to light may have accelerated his demise. The guilt may have sucked all the life out of him, if he even had any .
His punishment in hell, is to watch this play over and over for eternity.

Old 07-13-2012, 11:15 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,102,524 times
I can't believe that people allowed this to go on for so long. With each passing day I become more and more ashamed of the human race. Nobody has any honor or sense of right & wrong anymore, it's all about themselves, their career, and getting more money ... even if it means overlooking criminal acts and protecting a criminal or even outright participating in criminal acts.

Old 07-24-2012, 01:41 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,490,492 times
I found it interesting that the NCAA didn't wait long to investigate on its own before accepting the independent investigation report ... which Penn St. signed-off on. I'm still thinking about the penalties doled-out yesterday and I'm not certain I think they're strong enough.

Old 07-24-2012, 07:31 PM

415 posts, read 615,640 times
This whole thing is disgusting. Even worse today were the Yahoo articles about whiny Penn State students and alumni who think it is unfair that their beloved Nittany Lions have been punished. I can't help wonder what is in the water near Penn State, that these people would dare defend the actions of a pedophile and those who hid his nasty behaviors. I have lost any respect I had for anyone who attended or will attend Penn State. To support the actions of people who hid a pedophile and allowed that pedophile to roam free on that campus is truly repugnant.

I feel that the sanctions against the college were not enough, given the attitude of the students, faculty and alumni. The football team should be shut down forever, as far as I am concerned.

Had no one really known what was going on, I would feel differently. But it would seem that many people up the food chain at PSU were very aware of what was going on, and chose to hide the incident. And now, even with all the d***ing evidence out there, the students, faculty, and alumni continue to feel that nothing was wrong and they continue to worship their football team.

Old 07-24-2012, 08:20 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,879,874 times
The fact is football is more important than a few dumb kids taking it up the ass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies