Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2012, 10:30 PM

3,448 posts, read 3,132,726 times

Advertisements

I watched the above clip of the nice dogs...they seem nice and I know dogs love to try and suggest they have a job to do protecting...thats why I think they may be good for a farm where aggressive animals may be on the loose..

Last edited by stargazzer; 07-21-2012 at 10:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2012, 09:01 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,937,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazzer View Post
I watched the above clip of the nice dogs...they seem nice and I know dogs love to try and suggest they have a job to do protecting...thats why I think they may be good for a farm where aggressive animals may be on the loose..
On a farm........... I think your post tells it all.........l you just don't like dogs. It's not your place or anyone else to tell others what kind of dog to have or where dogs can be raised. The best thing to do is educate yourself that it's people who don't spend time with their dogs and never give enough training that makes the dog personality and makes a dog aggressive or fearful.

Training and spending time with ones dog is what makes a dog a good dog. I don't think dogs grow up thinking they'll be mean to humans, it's usually the other way around.............

The only fear is man's fear of never understanding the canine.............

Old 07-22-2012, 10:35 AM

378 posts, read 704,939 times
Nope. Pits should not be banned. If you do your research and not just get your information from the biased media, you may understand that just like any dog -- if an owner doesn't train them, or teaches the dog (any dog) to be aggressive, they will be aggressive. Any dog can bite, from a teacup yorkie to a bull mastiff, greyhound and yes, pit bull - a good owner knows that and tries to keep the dog away from those situations, but knows the limit of the dog. A bad owner encourages aggressive this behavior.

The numbers are definitely skewed against pit bulls when it comes to bites...even the CDC report references that. There are many animals that are mistaken for pits - especially if the alleged bit is never found.

Pet Pitbull - Find the Pit Bull

If someone is bit by a dog that isn't caught, and this person says it was a pit, that's a mark against the pit, even if it happened to be one of the dogs in the above link. Even I, who has lived with a pit before, can mistake another lookalike dog for a pit.

More owner training and owner background checking should be done before anyone can purchase a pit, but I do realize that's a tall order with all the backyard breeders around that sell these pups for $100.

Banning, imo, doesn't help the majority of pits that have never, and probably will never, harm another human or animal because a minority - or a dog mistaken for one has.

Old 07-22-2012, 11:29 AM

12,770 posts, read 11,564,791 times
Why aren't these zeolots that fear these dogs addressing the real problem, which is breeding. Why not do mandatory spay and neuter, with permits or licensing for the amstaff's. Maryland passed an ordinance that calls these dogs "inherently dangerous", which means apt. owner, shelters, and rescuers, could be held responsible is something bad happens. That's spreading the responsibility, rather than holding the owners responsible, spread the wealth, spread the liability, spread the blame - it's all wrong. These kind of blanket laws do much more harm to people and animals. It's also very costly for shelters, enforcement, the court systems.
If you look at pitbulls for sale in Maryland, there are loads of ads for puppies. Why label them and continue to have people breeding them in staggering numbers. It doesn't make sense. Stop the breeding. Most of us that love these dogs, would support that, because we want to stop the abuse and negligence too.
You would still have the mixes, but you would stop the majority of indiscriminate breeders just out to make a buck.

Old 07-22-2012, 12:12 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,822,831 times
I don't they should be banned. Instead we need to destroy the specific pit bulls who kill people. There never should be a debate, if a pit bull kills it get's killed period. Putting it to sleep is too humane. These dogs caused much terror, pain, and suffering to their victims and they should feel the same exact sensations in their final moments of life.

Old 07-22-2012, 12:18 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,564,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
I don't they should be banned. Instead we need to destroy the specific pit bulls who kill people. There never should be a debate, if a pit bull kills it get's killed period. Putting it to sleep is too humane. These dogs caused much terror, pain, and suffering to their victims and they should feel the same exact sensations in their final moments of life.
You want to enact violence on a dog. Violence begets violence, we need less of that in the world, not more. Bottom line, it's a people problem and you want to contribute to it.

Old 07-22-2012, 12:24 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,822,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
You want to enact violence on a dog. Violence begets violence, we need less of that in the world, not more. Bottom line, it's a people problem and you want to contribute to it.
Not on random dogs, only on killer dogs.

Old 07-22-2012, 12:25 PM

9,138 posts, read 5,803,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepchic View Post
The numbers are definitely skewed against pit bulls when it comes to bites...even the CDC report references that. There are many animals that are mistaken for pits - especially if the alleged bit is never found.

Pet Pitbull - Find the Pit Bull

If someone is bit by a dog that isn't caught, and this person says it was a pit, that's a mark against the pit, even if it happened to be one of the dogs in the above link. Even I, who has lived with a pit before, can mistake another lookalike dog for a pit.

I bet most people who favor banning them would think all 25 dogs pictured are pits.

Old 07-22-2012, 12:35 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,212,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
Why aren't these zeolots that fear these dogs addressing the real problem, which is breeding. Why not do mandatory spay and neuter, with permits or licensing for the amstaff's. Maryland passed an ordinance that calls these dogs "inherently dangerous", which means apt. owner, shelters, and rescuers, could be held responsible is something bad happens. That's spreading the responsibility, rather than holding the owners responsible, spread the wealth, spread the liability, spread the blame - it's all wrong. These kind of blanket laws do much more harm to people and animals. It's also very costly for shelters, enforcement, the court systems.
If you look at pitbulls for sale in Maryland, there are loads of ads for puppies. Why label them and continue to have people breeding them in staggering numbers. It doesn't make sense. Stop the breeding. Most of us that love these dogs, would support that, because we want to stop the abuse and negligence too.
You would still have the mixes, but you would stop the majority of indiscriminate breeders just out to make a buck.
An apartment owner can always just ban pets. Rescuers and shelters have a duty to make sure the dogs they take in are secured, so they'd be liable for a dog bite if they were negligent regardless of whether it was a pit bull or not. I think the law is fine and addresses the problem. If you want to get a pit bull, then you assume the risk of liability.

At any rate, I've met some very nice pit bulls with good owners. However, the numbers speak for themselves. There are bad pet owners everywhere that own all kinds of dogs. I find it hard to believe that the reason why pit bulls attack with more frequency is because owners of pit bulls are SO much worse than owners of other dogs. Some breeds have known dangerous propensities. Pit bulls are one of them.

Old 07-22-2012, 12:39 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,212,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
It's not quite the same when you have a dog. Dogs just act instinctively. They're animals. They aren't capable of knowing what is right and wrong. Some dogs just have more dangerous propensities than others, and those dogs who kill or severely injure people need to be put down but no reason not to do it humanely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies