Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2012, 01:37 PM

3,448 posts, read 3,131,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
He will test people's strangers when in the yard, if he feels someone is a threat he keeps them in their car until we get outside, if he knows someone has been here and we've okayed them no problem. We've even had people who just are not afraid of dog's try to approach him, when it's not your yard not a good thing to enter property that's not yours. When out in public he doesn't do this.

This dog wouldn't touch a child, he loves kids they can crawl all over him, we limit what children are allowed some don't play nice. So far old people like his looks, we haven't had many complaints other than his scary face.

He never gets to think he's the Alpha my son is............and he's learned when I'm with him I'm the Alpha, it's called training.

Violent undertones

Well this sounds like you know what your doing...my neighbors daughter who brings two over every month or so has one of them who thinks he's the Alpha of the world. And she says after I tried to offer the dog a cookie at first meeting and he wanted to take my head off regardless( and I like dogs) oh....um...are you afraid of dogs..? What an idiot...thats the problem idiots are being produced in an idiot world ...

so...your dog I see understands that he can be appreciated as a protector....thats the problem as I see it
if going for a walk and some kid gets away from the group or whatever and does the wrong thing, even with your dog on a leash and you sitting there looking the other way....that strange kid is not family and may startle the dog....these things happen and Pit bulls are known to freak out very quickly...

so as soon as the dog understands he's muscle...I think thats a problem...the understanding relationship is then pet based but...with a job to do....it sounds like this is very clear in your above discussing.

So either a special licence should be required for dangerous neighborhoods or these dogs should be on a farm...away from casual goings on in a typical busy setting....they are purchased for protective reasons....so the incentive if thats the case should and by right require an authenticity report. A specific license qualifying the living environment as in fact one which requires consideration for a protect-dog...this seems like perfect common sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2012, 01:42 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,561,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
I bet most people who favor banning them would think all 25 dogs pictured are pits.
even I got it wrong. Who ever heard of a ca de bou? They are related to presa's. Looks like the banners may as well just ban all relatives of the bulldog, including pugs, french bull terrier, boxers, english bulldogs, American Bulldogs, on n on.

"Lily is the love of my life when it comes to animals! She has stood beside me and made me laugh through thick and thin! She has saved my life when someone tried to break into my house. She has drowned not only me but all of my friends in kisses. I have had countless people tell me that she has singlehandedly changed their viewpoints on Pit Bulls. With her friendly smile, wagging tail, and warm eyes, who could not fall in love with her? Lily loves to show off her belly and will never be the one to turn down a good belly rub. She is eager to please which has made her easily trainable. Cesar Millan's books have helped us to enrich both of our lives and become a healthy "pack." It is sad to me that so many people have such a poor understanding of this amazing breed. I had two elderly ladies petting Lily and going on about how adorable she was. When they asked what kind of dog she was, they immediately backed away, faces grimacing, as they muttered under their breath. These people will never have the opportunity to understand loyalty at its fullest and a heart that seemingly beats only for you."

I've had this same experience numerous times. This country has an education problem, yet information has never been so readily available.
American Pit Bull Terrier, Pit Bulls, Pitbulls

Old 07-22-2012, 02:05 PM

2,022 posts, read 1,737,314 times
A customer told me one of the funniest pit bull stories. He was walking his Boxer in a park in Anaheim when he noticed a young man approaching with an unleashed pit bull. Sensing trouble, he moved with his Boxer toward a maintenance shed. When the pit bull noticed them, he started to run towards the Boxer. Our friend, who is a large and muscular man, was able to pickup his own dog and throw him up on the roof of the maintenance shed, then climbed on the roof himself, holding his own dog tight.
The pit bull got to the shed, barked and snarled, all the while trying to get the Boxer and our friend. Someone in the park called the police and within minutes a squad car with sirens and lights on appeared. The officers told the pit bull owner to leash his dog and get out from the park. The punk said his dog is too excited and he is afraid to get near the animal. The officers told him if he can't control his own dog they will have to call animal control and the pit will be destroyed.
So the punk somehow gets the leash on his own dog. As soon as the leash was on, the pit bull attacked his owner and mauled him badly.

Old 07-22-2012, 02:05 PM

This site lists the fatalities of 2011 as 31, 22 from reportedly pitbulls. The stories are interesting in that for most, there was fair warning. Loose dogs, chained dogs, people going onto their neighbors property alone, a 3 year old alone in a backyard with rottweillers. What really strikes me is so many unknowns. If they kill the dog, they should be able to tell us what the breed was and whether is was neutered or not.

2011 U.S. Dog Bite Fatalities - Dog Bite Statistics - DogsBite.org

Keep in mind that roughly 30,000 die from cars, hundreds of thousands from poisonings, drowning, prescription drugs, the flu. So as emotional as this issue is, try to keep some perspective.

Old 07-22-2012, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Gordon View Post
A customer told me one of the funniest pit bull stories. He was walking his Boxer in a park in Anaheim when he noticed a young man approaching with an unleashed pit bull. Sensing trouble, he moved with his Boxer toward a maintenance shed. When the pit bull noticed them, he started to run towards the Boxer. Our friend, who is a large and muscular man, was able to pickup his own dog and throw him up on the roof of the maintenance shed, then climbed on the roof himself, holding his own dog tight.
The pit bull got to the shed, barked and snarled, all the while trying to get the Boxer and our friend. Someone in the park called the police and within minutes a squad car with sirens and lights on appeared. The officers told the pit bull owner to leash his dog and get out from the park. The punk said his dog is too excited and he is afraid to get near the animal. The officers told him if he can't control his own dog they will have to call animal control and the pit will be destroyed.
So the punk somehow gets the leash on his own dog. As soon as the leash was on, the pit bull attacked his owner and mauled him badly.
I don't think that's very funny. I am a big proponent of leash laws. Again, an irresponsible owners was the problem. My neighbor sends his little 10 year old out walking with their pitbull. The dog is 7 months old now, and stronger than she is. People are stupid!

Old 07-22-2012, 02:18 PM

3,448 posts, read 3,131,703 times
31 deaths.....22 from pit bulls..?

What other perspective could be understood, with what is so obvious?

Who cares about anything other then this above statistic. All other data is logically tossed out. Plain and simple.

Old 07-22-2012, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazzer View Post
31 deaths.....22 from pit bulls..?

What other perspective could be understood, with what is so obvious?

Who cares about anything other then this above statistic. All other data is logically tossed out. Plain and simple.
Parents kill many more children, perhaps we should ban mothers.

From the Associated Press (I bolded the best parts):
…“But mothers kill their children in this country much more often than most people would realize by simply reading the headlines; by conservative estimates it happens every few days, at least 100 times a year. Experts say more mothers than fathers kill their children under 5 years of age. And some say our reluctance as a society to believe mothers would be capable of killing their offspring is hindering our ability to recognize warning signs, intervene and prevent more tragedies….”
“How common is filicide, or killing one’s child, among mothers? Finding accurate records is nearly impossible, experts say. One problem is classification: The legal disposition of these cases varies enormously. Also, many cases doubtless go unreported or undetected, such as very young mothers who kill their newborns by smothering them or drowning them in a toilet after hiding the entire pregnancy.”
“I’d say a mother kills a child in this country once every three days, and that’s a low estimate,” says Cheryl Meyer, co-author of “Mothers Who Kill Their Children.”
http://blogs.ajc.com/momania/2011/04...ng-their-kids/

Old 07-22-2012, 03:38 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,875,858 times
Do some of you simply not understand that the term "pit bull" is used irresponsibly by the media, and that these "dog fatality reports" are nearly always gleaned from media reports?

Twenty years ago it was German Shepherds and Rottweilers and Dobermans who were bearing the brunt of "dog angst" in our country's media. Are you telling me that suddenly all these breeds have been subdued genetically and become precious little angels, and "pit bulls" have morphed into a killer breed? Or could it be that our media sources are often inaccurate and know that if they say "pit bull," the story gets more attention?

By the way, I used to own a beautiful American Bulldog. She weighed nearly 100 pounds and was a purebred American Bulldog - nearly as big as a Great Dane. I can't tell you HOW MANY PEOPLE thought she was a pit bull. Nearly everywhere I took her, people called her that. My neighbors thought we had brought home a huge pit bull, and were very concerned about her, to the point of not allowing their grandkids to play outside because the "pit bull next door" might get out and kill them.

It took two or three times of me taking her over to their house for me to convince them that she wasn't a pit bull, and that she wasn't going to kill their grandbabies. In fact, I even had to print off some articles about pit bulls and American Bulldogs and I highlighted the differences, before I think they believed me. It was insane - but not surprising.

She would have never hurt a flea, let alone a child.

Old 07-22-2012, 03:47 PM

beatufiul Kathryn. You made me do it, these are my kids.

Old 07-22-2012, 03:55 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,342,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazzer View Post
So either a special licence should be required for dangerous neighborhoods or these dogs should be on a farm...away from casual goings on in a typical busy setting....they are purchased for protective reasons....so the incentive if thats the case should and by right require an authenticity report. A specific license qualifying the living environment as in fact one which requires consideration for a protect-dog...this seems like perfect common sense.
The thing is pit bulls would be a HORRIBLE farm dog and the worst attack/protection dog on Earth. They simply aren't bred like that. Some breeds, especially livestock guardian dogs, can be outside dogs forever and never have interactions with their people inside the house. Pit bulls aren't like that. Once bull baiting and dog fighting became officially illegal, they were bred mainly for one purpose: to be family dogs. Sure you had some being bred for illegal baiting and dog fighting, but the pit bull, like other bull baiting breeds "forced into retirement" like English bulldogs were bred as companion dogs. These are not good guard dogs (anyone who thinks so doesn't know the breed or are basing their assumption of a few select dogs whose temperament don't align with the breed standard) and they make even worse attack dogs (a lot of pits would fail Schutzhund). I've never heard of anyone who knew what they were doing buying a pit for protection-we're talking a breed bred for generations to be extremely docile towards people, even when in pain. Schnauzers make better attack dogs than pits! Lord knows there's no shortage of GSDs bred and trained for attack. A well bred, well socialized Amstaff, Staffy, or ABPT isn't aloof enough to be a guard dog and are too people friendly to do more than bark excitedly when strangers come on your property. Our pit Bella could never be an outside or farm dog because she would cry and whine and beg to be let back in so she could sleep under the desk/by your feet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies