Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 12:08 PM

990 posts, read 938,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFi View Post
How many of these people bitten by pit-bulls were home intruders, and why should we be concerned that they are being bit?

Well, my girlfriend is in the "kill all pits" camp because her little brother (not so little anymore, he's a Junior in college and outweighs me by 40 pounds now) was attacked by a Pit when we was just 1.5 years old. He has a massive scar on his face to this day and it caused his life to be very difficult growing up because being disfigured doesn't make one popular on the playground.

My dog was also almost attacked by a pit who broke through the wooden fencing at his house and came out onto the street to eat my little 20 pound dog. Thankfully I'm strong and quick so I was able to snatch my dog away from the pit and was able to hold him off until the owner came running from his house to stop the psychotic beast.

That being said, I still think that Pits should be allowed, but maybe there should just be a licensing to become an owner of one. Make it an easy class that simply just proves a commitment to being a good owner. Take away people's Pits if they don't have that license and punish people financially and legally if they allow their Pit to attack someone else or another animal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2012, 12:22 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,752,379 times
No breed should be banned but all dog owners should be held responsible for any damage done by their dog. I suggest pit bull owners be required to carry liability insurance.

Old 10-15-2012, 12:29 PM

2,137 posts, read 1,901,187 times
My perspective comes from my sister's two 'rescue' (kind of hate that term) pit bulls, one was touchy and the other downright mean initially but after adjusting to life with my sister and her husband they tamed down and can be around strangers and even go to the dog park without any problems. Anyone tries to break in to the house however and i'm sure they would be ripped to a shred, as evidenced by the grisly remains of squirrels my sister sometimes finds around the house.
I guess the bottom line is, despite possessing killer instinct and a body designed to be an ultra-efficient killing machine, having known them I can't imagine denying them as members of my sister's family. They shouldn't be born guilty. Ban them from a private dog park, sure, ban them from your private camp ground, but a person's home is his own domain and he is allowed to keep what he will there, even if its a 'weapon' in mammal form.

Old 10-15-2012, 04:31 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,435,269 times
If you ban all pit bulls, are you also the owners, who don't give a damn about the breed, except to make money off of them!

That is some onwers, not the ones, who have good intentions.

I know some pits that are the most loving dogs around, protective, but not to the point of being overbearing and mean, just protecting the owners and the children.

I love the show Pit Bulls's and Parole's shows a different point of view on the breed.

I know standard size poodles that have almost killed two people i know, shold they also, or the irresponsible onwers.

My brother was recently attacked by a pit bull, infact in the past 3 weeks. He also had surgery on his back, and was recovering at the time, he was knocked down, and his dog being attacked. There were two pit bulls across the Street, kitty corner to his home. He was walking his dog and exercising his back, when all of a sudden the two pit's raced across where he was, knocked him down, and went for his dog. He kicked like hell, but having a hurt back, took some time to get up.

He most definitely could have sued, but felt the owners were at fault, and did not want to see the pit bulls put down, they have never been in trouble before. He said the damn women owner, had a problem, she told him he should not have been walking his dog, if her dogs were not on the leash. We have tempers, will not lie, his italian temper got the best of him, and he called the cops.

Her dogs now have got to be on a leash, one warning or next time something as this happens, that is it for her. Other neighbors, say she just does not seem to care, about her dogs roaming the neighboorhood, without a leash. Sometimes irresponsible pet owners are the blame of their dogs actions.

Have a pet, no matter the breed, keep the damn dog, behind the gate, and if walking the dog, on a leash please.

To many owners of pets, should never be, a pet owner. I know some of them.

Last edited by california-jewel; 10-15-2012 at 04:42 PM..

Old 10-15-2012, 06:40 PM

9,137 posts, read 5,798,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
As much as I love animals I believe that all dangerous dogs should be humanely euthanized.

Who gets to decide which ones are dangerous, you?
I have a twenty pound dog that'll bite you if you enter his house.

Old 10-16-2012, 12:01 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,435,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
It's the owners --- all dog fighting should be banned and anyone participating in dog fighting needs to spend his life in prison. And those who do not control their animals need to face prison time if their animals kill.

Also unneutered animals should be banned except for those licensed to breed and can prove they are responsible breeders.

I agree with you. Most problems with pets, or even pit bulls, are usually at the hand of a owner, sorry but there are way too many irresponsible pet owners out there. Who should not have children, or pets.

We can pick on any breed, i know many little dogs who are more agressive and vicious, then the big ones, and will go after your ankles.

I know as i stated earlier many friends who have lovable playful, caring pit bulls as pets. I still say, treat your pet the way you wish to be treated with respect.

Dogs as pets should not be tied up, if your going to tie your pet up why even have one. And i know some very mean pet owners, going to be mean, your pet will in turn be mean, poor animals get treated with abuse, and still find time in their hearts to love.

Sorry but too many pet owners, should not be pet owners, I have had Rott's German Shepards, you name it never once have i had a mean vicious dog. Protective yes, territorial about it's home yes, but not vicious.

Too many unprofessional bredders out there.

Old 10-16-2012, 12:17 AM

15,523 posts, read 10,489,155 times
3-month-old baby fatally mauled by family pitbull - New York Daily News

Chalk up another death.

Old 10-16-2012, 06:01 AM

1,015 posts, read 2,422,975 times
Seems the owner knew that the dog was "too aggressive" yet did nothing......when your stupid everyone suffers.

Maybe they should ban "dangerous" breeds, at least then the US won't ruin anymore working dogs.

Old 10-16-2012, 09:16 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,244,458 times
Some of the sweetest, best behaved, loyal dogs I know are Pit Bulls. It's all in the training.

Old 10-16-2012, 09:42 AM

3,448 posts, read 3,130,994 times
I thought this pit bull thing was well put to rest. If a dog, any dog lets say a red setter was promoted as an aggressive fighter and very good at biting and attacking, guess what..?

dumb aggressive people will buy the dog.

so as soon as a dog gets a reputation for being a tough guy...the math will show a huge percentage of aggressive people buying and owning the dog...IOW...bully's relate with bully dogs.

Therefore and including the stats...22 out of 31 murders by pit bulls...there are only two options.

1) Ban human bullies or
2) Ban bullie dogs, whether they are bullies or not, because a dog will act like the owner

Sorry big guy.... arf arf arf.....22 murders out of 31 for dogs....ArF...aR.......ARF......this filing cabinet says

EXTINCT ( Arf a..Arf..a........a)

This does not even discuss the natural addicting drug the pittbull develops making him addicted to getting very angry, the new research. Opinion and I don't really care about this because they will be outlawed over time. The wheels are in motion and unless those percentages can change by bringing people back to life or something forget it. Society is what it is and will go forward always trying to reject all forms of violence.

Last edited by stargazzer; 10-16-2012 at 09:56 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies