Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 10:53 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,417,223 times

Advertisements

End ALL refundable tax credits.

For low wage earners a simple flat tax with no return filing requirement. If they need welfare, run them through the welfare programs.

Payroll tax to cover single pay. About 10% should cover it.

Remove all excise taxes, actual and embedded, and implement a small national sales tax. Allow people to choose what they want to fund. The rate should fluctuate and tie to the deficit. When there is no deficit, no tax. Voters would have a real incentive to elect the "no tax" crowd.

Simplify corporate tax returns. My business return was hundreds of pages. Reconciling an M1 and other schedules between book and tax is a time consuming process that doesn't add value to a business. Gross sales less certain deductions x some low statutory rate would generate as much revenue much easier.

I reserve the right to change my mind next week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2012, 11:11 AM

45,230 posts, read 26,437,203 times
cut spending and the size government before tinkering with tax schemes.
I dont want more efficient ways to feed the monster.

Old 07-14-2012, 11:18 AM

4,120 posts, read 6,608,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
cut spending and the size government before tinkering with tax schemes.
I dont want more efficient ways to feed the monster.
the debate isn't about the "monster" my point is the game is rigged and we need to redo the tax code in order to grow the economy.

What I want to do is encourage manufacturing and small businesses. Reduce the tax code and balance the budget...

Old 07-14-2012, 11:22 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,459,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
No country in the world has a flat tax, it would be a non starter politically as 60% of us would see an immediate tax increase. The democrats control the Senate and would shoot it down.
The Democrats control the Senate right now. Not permanently. Regardless, who controls what is irrelevant to this thread because we are discussing what we think should happen - not about what could or could not pass (either right now or in the future).

60% of us would not see an immediate tax increase under my plan. Irishvanguard didn't name a specific rate in his/her post, but the rate of 20% that I proposed would actually result in most people in the middle class/upper middle class/lower end of upper class - and even some lower-income people without children - seeing a significant decrease. Some lower-income/lower middle class people who are paying little to no income taxes right now (or are actually getting back more money than they pay) would see an increase, but some upper class people who live off of investments would see an increase as well.

Quote:
What I proposed is a way to encourage manufacturing in the U.S which provides they type of jobs we want here while having the businesses that provide them the services they need to make up the slack.
Except government picking winners and losers rarely works well. And, while manufacturing jobs are good, we shouldn't necessarily want them any more than any other type of job.

Quote:
Also cutting taxes to small businesses so they can grow and become the engines of tomorrow...
My plan would likely result in more cuts for small businesses than your plan calls for.

Old 07-14-2012, 11:30 AM

25 posts, read 13,476 times
There should not be any taxes on capital gains and there should also not be any estate taxes. I am tired of paying while others pay nothing. The wealthy in this country pay for everything.

Old 07-14-2012, 03:15 PM

4,272 posts, read 3,787,515 times
The tax code could be simplified down to a 3 by 5 index card and Congress will complicate it by favoring political supporters with tax credits and punishing political opponents with tax debits. Between simplifying the code and keeping Congress from adjusting it, I'm afraid the easier accomplishment is simplifying the code.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies