Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 09:34 AM

77,923 posts, read 60,091,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needaplace View Post
why have gas prices gone up 10 cents? In the last week gas prices shot up 10 cents, there werent any hurricanes that I heard about, what is the excuse this week for the stockholders/traders/oilpigs of why gas has gone up?
You did not provide enough information to come to an intelligent, rational conclusion.

Please provide that information at first opportunity.

I'd prefer not to make random guesses but for now my theory is that there may be a lot of lead in the water in that area and they are being surcharged some sort of environmental clean up fee. You probably grew up in the area so any insights you may be able to provide would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2007, 10:18 AM

1,394 posts, read 2,765,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
You did not provide enough information to come to an intelligent, rational conclusion.

I'd prefer not to make random guesses but for now my theory is that there may be a lot of lead in the water in that area and they are being surcharged some sort of environmental clean up fee. You probably grew up in the area so any insights you may be able to provide would be greatly appreciated.
He is not giving out information, he was asking a question because he doesn't have the information so he was or is hoping that someone can give him the information that his question was in reference to.

Old 10-13-2007, 10:20 AM

659 posts, read 1,372,172 times
Quote:
Ok, so moving on.....since oil consumption (demand) has increased in China and the US....what would we suspect would happen to oil/gas prices?

What would happen to say a rancher that owned an oil well that broke even at $30 a barrel....when oil went to $60 a barrel?
Mathguy, whether or not in theory we can extract oil from a well by throwing more money at it as in your example, there comes a point where either no oil remains or the cost in energy (not Dollars) is too high and it becomes a loss to extract it. This is what most people fear.

This URL links to a site that has a lot to say.

http://www.oilcrashmovie.com/media/t...sch_report.pdf

And this one has a laymans view of the problem.

http://www.oilcrashmovie.com/media/T...rn%20World.pdf

Your view would be much appreciated.

Old 10-13-2007, 11:59 AM

211 posts, read 984,385 times
Quote:

so the excuse this week is there is lead in the water, therefore gas prices go up 10 cents to clean it? 10 cents equals probably an extra 700 million dollars, they are gonna spend all that 700 million dollars to clean it up?

Old 10-13-2007, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needaplace View Post
so the excuse this week is there is lead in the water, therefore gas prices go up 10 cents to clean it? 10 cents equals probably an extra 700 million dollars, they are gonna spend all that 700 million dollars to clean it up?
ROFLMAO.....no not at all I was just making up something (a joke actually) out of thin air without anything to support it at all. I didn't want to feel left out.

Your entire point was just a vent anyway....you provided no context, no state information, no price history, nothing.

Since gas prices only go up where you live and are now up another 10 cents I will guess that you are paying about $12.32 a gallon which does seem a little high.

Facts or go elsewhere please....re-read the initial posts in the thread and stop wasting our time.

Old 10-13-2007, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by famenity View Post
Mathguy, whether or not in theory we can extract oil from a well by throwing more money at it as in your example, there comes a point where either no oil remains or the cost in energy (not Dollars) is too high and it becomes a loss to extract it. This is what most people fear.

This URL links to a site that has a lot to say.

And this one has a laymans view of the problem.

http://www.oilcrashmovie.com/media/T...rn%20World.pdf

Your view would be much appreciated.
I'm afraid that wasn't my point at all.

Please answer my first question about supply and demand. You accepted the supply\demand model when Carter was president I'd like to hear a logical explanation as to why you do or do not believe that oil demand is increasing prices over the past 8 years. You have ran from \ dodged this point for a long time and I'm beginning to see that as a sign of concession.

The second question is much simpler. A rancher has an oil well that he drills on his property. Given the cost of the supplies, operation etc. oil needs to be $30 a barrel for him to break even. What happens when oil goes to $60 a barrel?

Remember though, supply and demand could be increasing prices AND the oil companies COULD be gouging IN ADDITION....but no one here seems to have done any of this digging prior to arriving at thier conclusions.

Old 10-13-2007, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanborn View Post
He is not giving out information, he was asking a question because he doesn't have the information so he was or is hoping that someone can give him the information that his question was in reference to.
No. He had come to a conclusion about the increase. He was asking for what EXCUSE would be used. This implies that the increase was unneeded etc. which would require a lot of information to determine.

I am asking for the information he used to arrive at his conculsion.

Are you clear on this now?

Old 10-13-2007, 05:33 PM

659 posts, read 1,372,172 times
Quote:
I'm afraid that wasn't my point at all.

Please answer my first question about supply and demand. You accepted the supply\demand model when Carter was president I'd like to hear a logical explanation as to why you do or do not believe that oil demand is increasing prices over the past 8 years. You have ran from \ dodged this point for a long time and I'm beginning to see that as a sign of concession.

The second question is much simpler. A rancher has an oil well that he drills on his property. Given the cost of the supplies, operation etc. oil needs to be $30 a barrel for him to break even. What happens when oil goes to $60 a barrel?

Remember though, supply and demand could be increasing prices AND the oil companies COULD be gouging IN ADDITION....but no one here seems to have done any of this digging prior to arriving at thier conclusions.
Taking your first point, I'm not sure what your point is(why you do or do not believe that oil demand is increasing prices over the past 8 years.)
Do you mean why are prices lagging behind demand?

Your second question I did answer, clearly when prices go up the search for more difficult oil reserves can continue, but as I indicated the cost of collection in energy terms can be too great.

I'm not sure what 'gouging' is but feel it must be akin to overstating reserves or understating them. This question is answered on the rather long Hirsch report pasted again below.

Willing to explore these issues but I could have got the wrong end of your question, best wishes.

Old 10-13-2007, 06:02 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,167,491 times
Quote:
Gas prices have fallen quite a bit lately....and so has the rhetoric flying around.

What happened to the promises of "taking the oil companies profits"?

Does it just turn out that a lot of the stink that was raised was just politics as usual?

Please, a rational discussion....and feel free to use facts....no "Bush stinks" or "Hillary is a Commie" type junk cluttering up the thread.
Simple: What happened is all those who promised to do something about the evil oil corporations got elected. Now they are happy to receive the bribes err uhmmm I mean giftes from those evil corporations.
The truth is it was a topic the public was upset about. It was an easy platform to run on and it worked. These politicians were elected and now theu no longer feel or have the insentive to actually follow through on their promises. ^ months before the next election it will all begin again and the good people will buy into the rhetoric and reelect these same do nothing politicians. Americans fear change. Americans in general vote party line no matter how bad the candidate is. We have actually started voting for the guy thats less bad rather than the most qualified. Why? Because they are all falling short of what we would expect.

Old 10-13-2007, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Simple: What happened is all those who promised to do something about the evil oil corporations got elected. Now they are happy to receive the bribes err uhmmm I mean giftes from those evil corporations.
The truth is it was a topic the public was upset about. It was an easy platform to run on and it worked. These politicians were elected and now theu no longer feel or have the insentive to actually follow through on their promises. ^ months before the next election it will all begin again and the good people will buy into the rhetoric and reelect these same do nothing politicians. Americans fear change. Americans in general vote party line no matter how bad the candidate is. We have actually started voting for the guy thats less bad rather than the most qualified. Why? Because they are all falling short of what we would expect.
Ok, well that is one scenario that fits the question. Could you briefly describe to me what the oil companies are doing wrong that lead to the conclusion that something needs to be done about them but that bribery is stopping it. Something like thier rate of return, profit margins etc? Something I could show to someone with a finance degree that they wouldn't laugh at me over?

You must have seen something conclusive like this in your arriving at your conclusion. (Or are you just going on faith on this one?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies