Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 07:56 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,338,905 times

Advertisements

Liberals have attacked marriage for decades now. However research is confirming that raising children in single parent homes creates severe inequalities.

NYT: Two Classes in America, Divide

Quote:
“It is the privileged Americans who are marrying, and marrying helps them stay privileged,” said Andrew Cherlin, a sociologist at Johns Hopkins University.
About 41 percent of births in the United States occur outside marriage, up sharply from 17 percent three decades ago. But equally sharp are the educational divides, according to an analysis by Child Trends, a Washington research group. Less than 10 percent of the births to college-educated women occur outside marriage, while for women with high school degrees or less the figure is nearly 60 percent.
Long concentrated among minorities, motherhood outside marriage now varies by class about as much as it does by race. It is growing fastest in the lower reaches of the white middle class — among women like Ms. Schairer who have some postsecondary schooling but no four-year degree.

Last edited by EdwardA; 07-15-2012 at 08:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2012, 08:04 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,074,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Liberals have attacked marriage for decades now. However research is confirming that raising children in single parent homes creates severe inequalities.

Please list the dates of these "attacks' and what of what they consisted.

Seems Republicans are against some Americans having the right TO marry and provide two parents for children.

I am a Liberal ...I am married......

Old 07-15-2012, 08:08 AM

36,915 posts, read 18,773,250 times
Quote:

I'm a leaping, screaming, tree-hugging liberal who will have been married 35 years next month. WHat in the hell are you talking about "attacked marriage"?

If you mean "promoted human rights" in the affair of gay marriage, you're damned right I do, and will continue to work for it until all the bigots have been beaten back into their holes and any two consenting adults can marry freely.

Working single parents are one of the reasons I am strongly in favor of single-payer UHC and will gladly pay more taxes to see it happen.

Any more questions?

Old 07-15-2012, 08:10 AM

24,606 posts, read 55,788,565 times
Plenty, probably even most, get married. I mean freaking gay people are so up in arms about wanting to get married. Marriage seems more in vogue than it was 20 years ago if you ask me. If you ask me TOO MANY people are getting married. Hollywood stars are doing more to make a joke out of marriage than gay people.

Old 07-15-2012, 08:22 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,338,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Please list the dates of these "attacks' and what of what they consisted.

Seems Republicans are against some Americans having the right TO marry and provide two parents for children.

I am a Liberal ...I am married......
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
I'm a leaping, screaming, tree-hugging liberal who will have been married 35 years next month. WHat in the hell are you talking about "attacked marriage"?

If you mean "promoted human rights" in the affair of gay marriage, you're damned right I do, and will continue to work for it until all the bigots have been beaten back into their holes and any two consenting adults can marry freely.

Working single parents are one of the reasons I am strongly in favor of single-payer UHC and will gladly pay more taxes to see it happen.

Any more questions?

How quickly they forgot.

Criticism of marriage - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Feminism
According to Gerstel and Sarkisian, domestic violence, isolation, and housework increase for women.[6]
Some feminists seek the end of formal marriage: "The institution of marriage is the chief vehicle for the perpetuation of the oppression of women; it is through the role of wife that the subjugation of women is maintained."[7]
Individuals such as Sheila Cronan claim that "[f]reedom for women cannot be won without the abolition of marriage"[8] and point to historical, legal and social inequalities of wedding, family life and divorce.
Marriage as an institution developed from rape as a practice.—Andrea Dworkin

Old 07-15-2012, 08:58 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,074,871 times
According to Gerstel and Sarkisian, domestic violence, isolation, and housework increase for women.[6]

That's true for some marriages...are you for violence against women and treating them as slaves???

"""Some feminists seek the end of formal marriage:""""

SOME...SOME...not ALL ..SOME ...care to give NUMBERS???? SOME are all for marriage...so it's at least a draw!

"" "The institution of marriage is the chief vehicle for the perpetuation of the oppression of women; it is through the role of wife that the subjugation of women is maintained."[7]
Individuals such as Sheila Cronan claim that "[f]reedom for women cannot be won without the abolition of marriage"[8] and point to historical, legal and social inequalities of wedding, family life and divorce.
Marriage as an institution developed from rape as a practice.—Andrea Dworkin

The quotes above are all people's OPINIONS which they have a right to....ONLY Republicans want to pass laws controlling marriage!!!

Old 07-15-2012, 09:07 AM

24,869 posts, read 24,294,338 times
There are just to many variables, and it seems to me they make wild assumptions in their findings.

To say "children are being born at higher rates to unmarried parents " is one thing. We all can see that data is true .

However to then generalize to say "they are worse off socioeconomically " is a gross generalization.

For one, minorities have a higher rate of this. We see that from the data. But minorities have had much lower socioeconomic stability when marriage rates were higher. That's largely because they have no money. Marriage doesn't mean more money. Ask married folks.

I'm the product of a single parent home. Both my parents were involved in my life, but were divorced before I was 1. I have a upper misleading class income, I have two kids that are great, straight a styludent with the one in school.

But I'm not married, but we live together and have for 10 years.

I don't need a fake religious title to justify my life, my kids, or the way I live my life.

Most of the kids that they are talking about are poor minorities. Their deck was stacked against them anyway, just reality. The marriage or lack of that for their parents has less to do with their outcome.

Old 07-15-2012, 09:16 AM

76,871 posts, read 47,198,677 times
Quote:

What do you mean by "attack marriage"? Practically all liberals I know are married.

Old 07-15-2012, 09:29 AM

9,848 posts, read 8,250,861 times
Ann Coulter On Single Mothers: The Statistics From Guilty | Right Wing News

More about single motherhood above.
The book author spoken of in this article is VERY polarizing, but to her credit she does back up what she says in her books by referencing ALL HER SOURCES.

So the article highlights this threads points and if someone wants to look up this article or go to a library and borrow the book you can get all the references and information you could ever want.

Old 07-15-2012, 09:37 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,446,034 times
Quote:

Well yes of course -- because when your goal is to build a very government dependent, very helpless class of people who will turn to big government for all their wants and needs, what better than single women with children?

Remember --- the liberals don't believe that it takes two parents or even one competent parent to raise a child, it takes a village. They don't mean a real village either, which would be a small community of relatives and friends and neighors, they mean government. Having a father that cares about the children and provides for them gets in the way of having the government do everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies