Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 07:34 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,335,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
I agree with the above post!!!!!

Too bad the feckless Romney does not stand a chance. H***ein gets swept back into office easily......his glassy-eyed followers are hypnotized by Dear Leader.
Then you are just as deluded as the OP...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2012, 08:03 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,987,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
It's bad enough the Fed's easy money policy, which has done nothing to reduce unemployment, has rendered interest on savings to next to nothing. Now Obama is going to tax another source of income very important to millions of seniors, dividends.

So are Obama and the Dems anti-elderly?

Read more here: New Study: Dividend Tax Hike Will Hurt Millions of Americans At All Income Levels, Particularly Seniors and Retirees - PR Newswire - The Sacramento Bee

Do you know what the average sum Americans including seniors have in their retirement investments? It's less than $20,000 and guess how much is in securities for most Americans its ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. You could set the tax rates on dividend income to 99% and most American seniors would pay ABSOLUTELY NOTHING becuase zero times any finite number is still zero! There are not millions of seniors who wil find their income pinched a little but the seniors riding around on their power chairs at the clubs or gold greens of Palm Springs, Scottsdale, Palm Beach or Hilton Head! Power Chairs paid for by the working SCHNOOKS of America.

Old 07-15-2012, 08:16 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
Do you know what the average sum Americans including seniors have in their retirement investments? It's less than $20,000 and guess how much is in securities for most Americans its ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. You could set the tax rates on dividend income to 99% and most American seniors would pay ABSOLUTELY NOTHING becuase zero times any finite number is still zero! There are not millions of seniors who wil find their income pinched a little but the seniors riding around on their power chairs at the clubs or gold greens of Palm Springs, Scottsdale, Palm Beach or Hilton Head! Power Chairs paid for by the working SCHNOOKS of America.
Where are your stats to back up that most Americans have no securities ?

My stats show 54% of Americans "invest" in the stock market. 54%, way more than NONE, wouldn't you say ?
http://www.gallup.com/poll/147206/st...west-1999.aspx
Eighty-seven percent of upper-income Americans -- those making $75,000 or more annually -- own stocks, as do 83% of postgraduates and 73% of college graduates. Sixty-four percent of Republicans hold stocks, compared with half of Democrats and independents. Men are more likely than women to be stock owners. Those aged 50 to 64 are the most likely of any age group to say they have money invested in the stock market.

Old 07-15-2012, 08:20 PM

7,498 posts, read 5,745,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddwayne View Post
It's a Bush tax cut that expires (Jobs and Growth Tax Relief Reconciliation Act of 2003). It has been renewed twice - the last time in 2010. It will likely get renewed again. Obama has already called for an extension of the Bush tax cuts on those making under $250,000. That would cover most seniors so, no, Obama is not anti-elderly.
You don't get it do you.. Income taxes and tax you pay on dividends are two seperate beasts.

Old 07-15-2012, 09:07 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,825,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute
Obama is very much against anyone who has worked hard and prospered.

Obama is a Communist in the same mold as Hugo Chavez, his core philosophy is Marxist.
Indeed.... NOTHING G00D ABOUT HIM!

Old 07-16-2012, 03:37 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,409,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
My son is only 21, in school and works 30 hours a week.
He has a brokerage account and has 5 stocks in his growing portfolio.
And last year he did take advantage of tax laws called "loss carryover".

Education is KEY if you want to get ahead in the world. Too many people think Wall Street is only for millionaire and "yacht owners".
At that age I had turned $2000 into a $20,000 investment of course I blew it on a car and a move to NYC but hey it's life. Your son is well on his way, you must be proud.

Old 07-16-2012, 03:44 AM

49 posts, read 38,203 times
Not really supportive of this particular tax increase assuming it DOES hurt those that don't have as much money as the wealthy.

Old 07-16-2012, 03:46 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,213,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
There goes another attack on the poor by a Republican. She probably does not own a yaht either. If she was only wealthy she could take advantage of all these fine tax advantages. It is her fault she decided not to become wealthy.
So there goes another attack on the middle class by a democrat. I am not republican. That said is it my fault that some people either do not invest in their future or can't? Why should I pay more taxes than others? I am not rich. I was putting money into retirement when I was poor by the way. That would be because I dont trust the gov to do the right thing. And yes I will call out people for being too short sighted to invest in an IRA of some form. Money for computers and the internet? Money to put away. Money for smokes and booze? Money to put away. Lets face facts even $10.00 a week is better than nothing and over a life time it is something. Start the habit young and stick to it.

Old 07-16-2012, 04:00 AM

49 posts, read 38,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
So there goes another attack on the middle class by a democrat. I am not republican. That said is it my fault that some people either do not invest in their future or can't? Why should I pay more taxes than others? I am not rich. I was putting money into retirement when I was poor by the way. That would be because I dont trust the gov to do the right thing. And yes I will call out people for being too short sighted to invest in an IRA of some form. Money for computers and the internet? Money to put away. Money for smokes and booze? Money to put away. Lets face facts even $10.00 a week is better than nothing and over a life time it is something. Start the habit young and stick to it.
Obama attacking the middle class? I thought he was trying to fatten them up by attacking the rich instead?

Old 07-16-2012, 05:46 AM

29,795 posts, read 24,880,628 times
This is going to hurt everyone who relies on the stock market. Then again, everyone know this was going to happen. We knew the country had to make moves towards balancing the budget. No way around it, and we weren't going to like it. Very bad timing though. Hope the O man has another gig lined up for next year...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies