Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 12:46 AM

37,048 posts, read 41,993,490 times

Advertisements

Well guys, it wasn't that long ago taht the only way to make it in life was to marry well, and it was a noble goal. Don't act all surprised.

Why the hell do you think woman started gussying themselves up for you? Because it's FUN?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2012, 12:54 AM

2,490 posts, read 2,532,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2colo View Post
This has been a tradition of many women going back decades and decades. They go to college only to meet a guy who will become rich, if he is isn't already, just so they can live a life of comfort and ease. While I would like to say that the UGA student who wrote the article is a bonehead, old fashioned, and just a plain silly fool, who am I to judge? If this is the lifestyle she wants to lead and there is some man who wants a wife who will bake in high heels, pearls, and designer dresses every night, so be it. I am sure her husband will tire of her antics at some point and cheat on her, but she will keep smiling, baking, screaming at the nanny who will be taking care of her children 24/7, and swiping his credit cards while trying to look the other way.
That's a part of the reason divorce rates are where they are. Girls get it in with the man who might be the best provider and it's essentially a loveless marriage. Sure it's all great for a couple months, maybe even a couple years, but eventually one of them or both start cheating to fill that hole or one or both get to where they can't stand each other. In the end everybody ends up hurt, but I think the south's idea is to turn the cheek and say "Well at least the gays can't hitch on our watch"

Old 07-18-2012, 12:54 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,452,665 times

There is nothing new here, women have been vying for the "best catch" since the dawn of man. Its what we do...even of some refuse to admit it!

Old 07-18-2012, 12:57 AM

37,048 posts, read 41,993,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattee01 View Post
That's a part of the reason divorce rates are where they are. Girls get it in with the man who might be the best provider and it's essentially a loveless marriage. Sure it's all great for a couple months, maybe even a couple years, but eventually one of them or both start cheating to fill that hole or one or both get to where they can't stand each other. In the end everybody ends up hurt, but I think the south's idea is to turn the cheek and say "Well at least the gays can't hitch on our watch"
Actually it's when people started marrying "for love" that the divorce became common. Probably because love isn't really something you can count on to last a lifetime.

Old 07-18-2012, 01:02 AM

35,095 posts, read 50,995,383 times
As usual I think the guy who falls for this nonsense is the moron and she is nothing but a hooker who got married.

Old 07-18-2012, 01:04 AM

21,417 posts, read 8,627,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frugality View Post
sounds like a tongue in cheek article
Ding ding ding ding ding ding ding! We have a winner. The article was meant as satire, as the author herself explains:

Writer of 'How to find that perfect husband in college' reveals true nature of column - The Red and Black : Opinion: amber estes, how to find that perfect husband in college, mrs degree,

Old 07-18-2012, 01:07 AM

35,095 posts, read 50,995,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
There is nothing new here, women have been vying for the "best catch" since the dawn of man. Its what we do...even of some refuse to admit it!
It is NOT what WE do. Might be what you do but I married Sneakers because I love him and he is the best guy for me. I also respect and trust him and he is my best friend. I should add that he was bankrupt when I met him so the only thing he had to offer was him and that is all I wanted then and still want now. He isn't bankrupt any longer either. Hard work, perseverance and patience has paid off in a big way.

Old 07-18-2012, 01:11 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,452,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
It is NOT what WE do. Might be what you do but I married Sneakers because I love him and he is the best guy for me. I also respect and trust him and he is my best friend. I should add that he was bankrupt when I met him so the only thing he had to offer was him and that is all I wanted then and still want now. He isn't bankrupt any longer either. Hard work, perseverance and patience has paid off in a big way.
Plase calm down...then your guy was the "best catch" specifically for you. However, MOST of us want men who appear to be (or have the potential to be) good providers.

And please do not come back at me with some of the feminist stuff, I am speaking of women in general.

Old 07-18-2012, 02:30 AM

2,110 posts, read 2,585,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Plase calm down...then your guy was the "best catch" specifically for you. However, MOST of us want men who appear to be (or have the potential to be) good providers.

And please do not come back at me with some of the feminist stuff, I am speaking of women in general.
I would never teach my daughter, if I had one, too do exactly what these women are doing, but I understand the general idea. Let's face it, if very good looking women are going after the highest achievers and go getters in life, it will give men more motivation to improve. I am not only talking in monetary terms as well, but to some women that may be their thing and hey that is them. I give these women credit because they seem to understand men more than in the ones in another article that was posted talking about the lack of eligible men.

The women being talked about in this article seem to better understand male-female relations better. We, as men, are not as impressed with women's salary's when it comes to selecting a mate as women think. Only men who plan too mooch see that as the most impressive thing.

With that being said, I do not care why other people getting married.

Last edited by Beliciano; 07-18-2012 at 02:39 AM..

Old 04-13-2013, 06:50 PM

9,005 posts, read 13,769,137 times
I see nothing wrong with it.
Its not prostitution at all. Some people need to go back and learn the definition.

Besides,in the past women married men because they were great providers,and they didn't have these divorce rates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies