Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 01:57 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,673,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
What's embarrassing is that many 26 year olds can no longer hope to get a job that offers health insurance benefits. Have you not noticed the job market for recent college grads?
Exactly. I never would've guessed that my kids wouldn't have the same opportunities I had, but it seems to be true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2012, 02:01 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnydee View Post
Exactly. I never would've guessed that my kids wouldn't have the same opportunities I had, but it seems to be true.
Same here. At 21 I was out on my own and had extra money and it was all cash as I had no credit cards or anything. And this was entry level work as well. I went to college later on.

Not so today, not by a long shot.

Old 07-15-2012, 02:14 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times
And when they hit age 26, many of them STILL will choose not to insure themselves. Rather, they will decide that it's cheaper to pay Obama's Tax Penalty. So what are we actually gaining from a subset of people who are insured until age 26 and not necessarily so afterwards? Absolutely nothing from my vantage point.

Old 07-15-2012, 02:54 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvmycountry View Post
Quick story. A 24 yr old just left the hospital after being in an MVA drunk. I remember him because I had to be trach him and I had assured the family it wouldn't be like that forever. They just down to the ER and gave us all big thanks and pizza!!

Ok, now I don't want to pull heart strings all day making decisions based on emotions. That 24 yr old was lucky, to be alive first, and that he was covered by parents, because the bill was atrocious.

Now, what happens say when another 24yr gets hit in car accident. This person's parents have no insurance. The 24yr old is going to college. Of course we will take care of that patient just like the one in the story above. NEVER will we compromise any human beings life with no insurance. So the student now has a bill of hunreds of thousands. The hospital has people who's job it is to get the 24yr old medicare or medicaid.

I do see a lot of posters here who don't want to pay for that patients medical bills and the other side that says obamacare will help with that.
Do keep in mind we taxpayers do pay for Medicare / Medical.

So, if you were in charge what would you do for this patients bill?
A big part of the problem is that the bill would be hundreds of thousands of dollars. Both area hospitals here are expanding at incredible rates. New wings with marble floors and cut stone walls. Fancy fountains out front and a player piano in the waiting room.

All absolutely needless. They will spend millions in research and care trying to get grandma to live past 90. I'm amazed at how nobody actually discusses how to bring down costs. The only real discussion is how to provide more money to pay for it all.

Old 07-15-2012, 02:57 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
And when they hit age 26, many of them STILL will choose not to insure themselves. Rather, they will decide that it's cheaper to pay Obama's Tax Penalty. So what are we actually gaining from a subset of people who are insured until age 26 and not necessarily so afterwards? Absolutely nothing from my vantage point.
When I was 26, I finally landed a job that offered insurance. It wasn't the best but before that I was working two jobs, neither that offered insurance. If I was still in that position, I would not have been able to afford insurance nor the tax penalty.

The facts are there will be millions just like that and they are not going to be faced with either option so really, nothing will have changed. We will still be paying for those that are covered under Obamacare just as we are now without any insurance.

Old 07-15-2012, 03:01 PM

884 posts, read 716,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
A big part of the problem is that the bill would be hundreds of thousands of dollars. Both area hospitals here are expanding at incredible rates. New wings with marble floors and cut stone walls. Fancy fountains out front and a player piano in the waiting room.

All absolutely needless. They will spend millions in research and care trying to get grandma to live past 90. I'm amazed at how nobody actually discusses how to bring down costs. The only real discussion is how to provide more money to pay for it all.
As far as costs go, I am very proactive on preventative care. Finding a disease process early could not only save lifes but cut costs.

Old 07-15-2012, 03:02 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,005,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Not in the least. Who is going to know ? You go to the doctor and present your insurance card.
Not every young person is making 6 figure salaries. Salaries have not kept up with everything else.
Rent-utilities-food are the main bills. If you have a job that can barely cut it then that's one less deduction to your money.

And that is one part of Obamacare that didn't get pushed onto taxpayers. Parents foot that bill.
Would you have rather that Obamacare subsidized their premiums with your money instead ?
Don't worry when it takes full effect the parents can dump em on the government so we can all pay for it.

Old 07-15-2012, 03:04 PM

1,698 posts, read 1,822,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
At least they'll be paying a penalty, which will at least offset the costs if they do get sick. Generally young people are healthy, so it will probably help quite a bit.

I'm 27, and I would rather pay for insurance, even if it cost more per year.

Old 07-15-2012, 03:15 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,005,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvmycountry View Post
As far as costs go, I am very proactive on preventative care. Finding a disease process early could not only save lifes but cut costs.
The problem is many don't listen to their doctors now so all the preventative stuff isn't really going to do much IMO. What does my doctor tell me everytime I go? Eat healthy, don't drink or smoke and exercise. They tell everybody that and not many listen. It really is that simple. Then you have folks who won't listen and show up to have a leg cut off for diabetes then come back a year later and have the other one removed and on and on. Healthcare insurance won't prevent fools from doing what fools do.

Old 07-15-2012, 03:19 PM

770 posts, read 1,177,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Let make sure what I'm reading.

Student has cancer, has to take full course load while undergoing treatment for cancer so that she can maintain insurance but that being carried on your parents health insurance at 26 is sadder?

If, and I say if, I read that correctly, you have one strange scale of what is sad and what isn't.
I'm pretty sure zimar was being sarcastic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies