Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 05:04 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
The opportunity to get it is there, but it is not free and you pay for it from what I know.
Yes, the parents pay for it, or get charged for it anyway. The parent certainly has the option of asking his kid to chip in the money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric Blue View Post
I personally think it is sad. Have a hard time believing this would be considered ok 25 years ago.
25 years ago a lot of young adults just went without ins. I was shocked when I met my DH and he didn't have any.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
Families should be the first line of help when it comes to the economy. Not uncle sam.
My kids having helluva time finding a job. Get and associate, then they want BA, then a Masters. For my kid at 22 it is 180 a month,, full coverage. Cheap to keep her healthy and happy while she tries to get herself out on her own.
In Hawaii, 84% of people 35 and below still live with their parents. Economy sucks.
Uncle Sam is not paying for this, the parents and their employers are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2012, 05:09 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:
Isn't that kind of embarrassing for a 26 year old adult to be on their parents plan?
Is it not sad that even Republicans think it is ok?
It's embarassing as a nation that 26 is the new 18 -- childhood and dependency on the parents is being pushed to older and older ages.

And right when the parents should start seeing their own costs of health plans drop, they're pressured to keep paying the higher premiums for their "children".

Oh -- and the traditional age to be finished with college is age 22.

Old 07-15-2012, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
I don't think it's ok. It's not much different than having their parents pay for their auto insurance.

Get the heck out of the house and grow up, kids!
It's truly amazing how much things have changed. At one time, you were supposed to be an adult by age 18. Or at least by age 21.

When my dad was 25, he was already married, buying his first house, saving money to start his own business and was providing for 3 kids already -- and paying for his own insurance.

I wasn't quite as good but college was over by age 22 and I'd already had 5 years of work experience under my belt by then.

Next thing they'll be pushing the age adulthood begins up another 5 years. Then parents will be expected to keep little Johnny on their health plan until he's 31.

Old 07-15-2012, 05:17 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,300,771 times
Quote:
Isn't that kind of embarrassing for a 26 year old adult to be on their parents plan?
Is it not sad that even Republicans think it is ok?
It's a another indication of the delayed maturity and independence of the "Failure To Launch" generation. Their parents are just as responsible not raising them to be independent adults and the kids, so if they are willing to take this responsibility on then let them, it's their choice.

Old 07-15-2012, 05:24 PM

221 posts, read 282,909 times
I actually do not care. Just seems like another thing a person can complain about that is both A. none of their business and B. doesn't affect them. Whining about what other people are doing is an American pass-the-time.

Old 07-15-2012, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
It's embarassing as a nation that 26 is the new 18 -- childhood and dependency on the parents is being pushed to older and older ages.

And right when the parents should start seeing their own costs of health plans drop, they're pressured to keep paying the higher premiums for their "children".

You don't know everyone's circumstances. People are in grad school until their mid-late 20s. That's where my daughter is right now. When she was working, she had her own ins. Now she's on our policy for another year.

What a joke that "the parents should start seeing their own costs of health plans drop" as they get into their later 50s/60s. Those are years of high use of health care. At most places of employment, there is no difference in premium due to employee's age. In the individual health care market, one would expect the ins. to be higher as the owner gets older.

Old 07-15-2012, 05:32 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,461,121 times
Quote:

Well, I have to disagree with you a bit on that. It's only an embarrassment if one one completely ignores the fact that living with parents till the mid 20's to early 30's is the norm around the rest of the world.

American's are learning real fast what the rest of the world lives like now that they have to actually compete with the rest of the world. Things aren't going to get any better either. By the time there are 10 billion or so people on the planet every middle-class will have about the same standard of living and if you want to know what that standard of living will be like just reference the 2nd law of thermodynamics.
Quote:
Courtesy of C.P. Snow
  1. You cannot win (that is, you cannot get something for nothing, because matter and energy are conserved).
  2. You cannot break even (you cannot return to the same energy state, because there is always an increase in disorder; entropy always increases).
  3. You cannot get out of the game (because absolute zero is unattainable).

Old 07-15-2012, 05:33 PM

1,635 posts, read 1,593,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudegubmintworker View Post
I actually do not care. Just seems like another thing a person can complain about that is both A. none of their business and B. doesn't affect them. Whining about what other people are doing is an American pass-the-time.
It's a bad sign for our future. 26 year olds can be considered kids.

Old 07-15-2012, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
You don't know everyone's circumstances. People are in grad school until their mid-late 20s. That's where my daughter is right now. When she was working, she had her own ins. Now she's on our policy for another year.

What a joke that "the parents should start seeing their own costs of health plans drop" as they get into their later 50s/60s. Those are years of high use of health care. At most places of employment, there is no difference in premium due to employee's age. In the individual health care market, one would expect the ins. to be higher as the owner gets older.
The parents' costs should drop when they aren't having to cover baby children. There can be a significant difference when paying for self/spouse/children or self/children and self/spouse or self.

And yes keeping children in school until their mid-30's is not going to be a good trend. At some point they're going to have to grow up and start working for their living and if they're well into their 30's before they take their first job, they will not adjust too well.

Old 07-15-2012, 07:14 PM

Quote:
The parents' costs should drop when they aren't having to cover baby children. There can be a significant difference when paying for self/spouse/children or self/children and self/spouse or self.

And yes keeping children in school until their mid-30's is not going to be a good trend. At some point they're going to have to grow up and start working for their living and if they're well into their 30's before they take their first job, they will not adjust too well.
The parents' cost drops if they drop the kids. However, their own costs will rise if they have that fabulous individual ins. all the RW salivates over.

Thanks for the parenting advice, and go fly a kite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies