Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 08:59 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,987,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
The parents' costs should drop when they aren't having to cover baby children. There can be a significant difference when paying for self/spouse/children or self/children and self/spouse or self.

And yes keeping children in school until their mid-30's is not going to be a good trend. At some point they're going to have to grow up and start working for their living and if they're well into their 30's before they take their first job, they will not adjust too well.

I was a university student until I was 29 to become a physicist capable of doing original science. Before I got a job doing physics I was 31 . America has maybe fewer than 50,000 people like me and we are the the people who will draft the technology of tommorow along with several hundreds thousand Americans in other sciences and engineering professionals. In physics you asctually don't get into a career position where you actaully can have an opinion in our R&D establishment until you reach age 40.
You are free to have ideas and opinions but you learn to keep you dam mouth shut. Now the fate of many younger Americans is by the time they are able to start a career they are going to have to be live in care givers to their partents who will die with out their help and can't afford to be thrust on the care of institutions. So it may not be so odd for a 40 or 50 something to like with Mom and Dad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2012, 09:01 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Not at all. Many kids coming right out of college do not land jobs with good insurance plans right off the bat. My cousin got sick when she was 23 (out of school, no insurance), she was in the hospital and wound up with bills in excess of $40,000 (this was prior to the healthcare bill).

If this was in place at that time, it would have been covered by her parents insurance, but since it wasn't you have a 23/24 year old with upwards of $40-$50k in medical debt
Have you talked with her lately? I wonder how much of that bill was waived by the providers after a year or so? This is a pretty common practice.

Old 07-15-2012, 10:24 PM

22,180 posts, read 19,449,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Have you talked with her lately? I wonder how much of that bill was waived by the providers after a year or so? This is a pretty common practice.
Yes, and it wasn't waived.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies