Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 10:09 AM

1,767 posts, read 2,347,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade52 View Post

The whole goal of the corporatists is to keep the masses at each others' throats over silly "social issues" while they continue to accumualte all the resources for themselves. And as this forum illustrates, it's working.

TPTB do foster controversial issues as a type of "bread and circuses" to keep the masses occupied.
The big problem is, when the fabric of society becomes stretched and distorted, it begins to disintegrate.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2012, 03:41 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,175,159 times
We have become a nation of non-producers. Too many people don't care to work or earn their rewards in life.

Old 07-17-2012, 04:35 PM

8,035 posts, read 10,624,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankums View Post
Yeah, exactly why he was put up for the job, considering Nixon/Ford.

Similiarities today? Hero worshipping the actors from -R & -D, Inc. must count for something?
This is true. We were looking for an honest man.

Old 07-17-2012, 05:09 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,437,081 times
Well other nations such as Brazil, China, India, etc at the moment cannot afford for America to collapse but I'm sure they don't want to continue lending/buying our debt. If we fail, the world fails, but those nations (China, Brazil, etc) seem to have little hope in us and they are becoming less dependent on us and actually building their own consumers in their nations. America has moved in the wrong direction, we've become more dependent on others while over-consuming because we believe it's needed.

I'll tell you a little story about the over-consumption in America, here in the DC metro, where I'm currently located, you can see someone making roughly $60k a year and struggle. You know why they struggle, one reason is because DC is already expensive but the other is feeling the need to impress others way too much. Ive seen someone with a early 2000's Honda, decide to upgrade to some Infiniti because they felt the need to. Nothing was wrong with the first car, and living in the DC metro you really don't even need a vehicle but she felt the need to buy a new one. This same person has four of five North Faces, spends freely at Wholes Food, and anything that seems over-consumption wise. Now I'm not saying I'm tight with my cash, but I know not to over-consumer and I believe that's what Americans need to work on.

What America (the federal govt) needs to work on is limiting its spending, the govt really try too hard to please everyone. Here's a example, welfare, the govt keeps increasing the amount of cash and how many recipients receive benefits knowing its unaffordable. I'd send the recipients letters stating the obvious to many of us, that America must reduce its debt and your benefits will be reduced. Hell these recipients cannot complain about having their benefits reduced, it's either that or not recieve any benefits at all in the near future if debt isn't reduced.

Another thing the nation needs to work on is upgrading infrastructure in public/private partnerships instead of wasting cash. I read that Amtrak is planning to increase the speeds along the BosWash corridor within 2050 but then you have a private company also planning on building a line in the BosWash corridor that will have the same exact stations as Amtrak. To me, that just doesn't make sense, I say either the company raises capital for Amtrak or either Amtrak invests capital in the company because both services will not be needed and one will become the underdog and eventually have to file for bankruptcy. So that's what I mean when I say private/public partnerships.

The military must be reduced at least in foreign nations. We have no business policing the world now for we're broke, we can protect our interest from afar but not be that nations military.

Reduce Corporate Taxes! plain in simple, I don't approve of tax breaks so instead of tax breaks reduce corporate tax (especially on manafacturing)

We need to eliminate long-politics. What I mean by that is, finding a way to reduce debt, or how long it will be until we leave Afghanistan should not be a discussion that takes years. I don't like the thought of debt continuing to mount for 10 more years just because things cannot be agreed on or because that's how long it takes to plan, if action isn't taken right away then we'll collapse within those 10 years.

If no one wants to approve of a healthcare tax then at least approve of a tax I'd call "US Treasury Repurchase Tax", which means exactly what it says. This tax would be strictly for paying back debt, not funding wars, not funding education, not funding a mission to the moon.

There's plenty more that will need to be done for America to get back on track, but that's just some of my proposals or thoughts on things.

Edit:
Come to think of it, America probably will never collapse fully but I do expect a massive slowdown on things.

Old 07-17-2012, 05:21 PM

490 posts, read 650,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Turn off the TV and go outside. America has problems but it is still a great place. So far this year I've driven from San Francisco to Philadelphia and all seems well. The Motels were full of travelers in many cases and the crowd at Hersheypark was heavy. America hasn't collapsed just because we elected a non white president
Amen. That's calling it like it is. Sorry, but people need to calm down. Geez.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Old 07-17-2012, 06:03 PM

4,204 posts, read 4,685,867 times
When they work, corporate profits ensure that they are given low salary so that they work and plunge in debt at the same time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by totsuka View Post
We have become a nation of non-producers. Too many people don't care to work or earn their rewards in life.

Old 07-17-2012, 07:04 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,940,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by totsuka View Post
Do you just type anything that comes to mind without knowing what you are writing about?

American has highly productive workers, as the chart shows:

Old 07-19-2012, 01:23 AM

409 posts, read 956,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1x7x View Post
With all the talk on the news of immigration, Hispanics becoming the majority, California bankrupt, no jobs, economic collapse, 1 in 2 Americans poor, Obama, etc, how do you see the U.S. in the future?

I heard... there has been such an invasion from third world countries that all the wonderful things that L.A. has to offer have either been destroyed or are virtually impossible to get to. Many areas of L.A. have become mini-countries, you can't even read the signs on the buildings.

The truth is we are living in a dying nation that is falling apart. And it's already too late.

How do you see America in 20-50 years?
How do I see America in say 50 years considering the burgeoning Hispanic population and immigration?

A more integrated society. Its not some grand social experiment or kumbaya moment but generally a result of repeated exposure to other cultures. If you stick around you usually build a tolerance and see people more as individuals.

The below link provides a clue...
One of every 10 straight married couples in the U.S. is interracial | Mail Online

The OP about an invasion from third world countries inevitable links a discussion of immigration to race. If most immigration was from Europe I dont think it would weigh on peoples mind as much. And, its understandable because people are comfortable with what they perceive as familiar and with whom they feel a shared connection of values, social mannerisms,appearances, etc (I could be wrong but its just my opinion). I think in 50 years race/immigration will not matter much and people will look back at these times and wonder what the hand wringing and anguish by some was all about. Probably the way many today look back 50 years in the past and wonder why all the turmoil regarding race.

The American economy will depend much on the global economy as it increasingly depends on the prosperity of other nations today.

IMHO the prolonged misery caused by the slow economic recovery is a direct consequence of the breakdown of the political system and polarization of society. A government paralyzed by partisanship and bickering. A democracy is not the most efficient or expedient form of government when it comes to making critical decisions and by definition requires participation and consensus to function properly. All or nothing approaches dont work.

America does not have to suffer a diminished standard of living. But there needs to be an understanding that playing the worlds policeman is too costly, Billions in nation building for areas of the world that dont seem to have a tradition in rising above sectarian differences or age old customs is wasteful, and all sectors of government including social safety nets, the military,etc require careful scrutiny and budgeting.

Old 07-22-2012, 11:08 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,187,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montanamom View Post
This is true. We were looking for an honest man.
You'll need a lot of lamp oil...

Old 07-23-2012, 05:42 AM

48 posts, read 72,904 times
Possibly not collapse but will soon be nearing the status of a third world country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies