Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2012, 05:39 PM

2,546 posts, read 2,464,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by valerie d View Post
I would refer you back to post 1258 and ask you to read through it slowly. Public workers create nothing,nthey are overpaid, over benefitted and underworked. At least one half the public workers should be paired and dismissed.m
Given that I quoted you on that post, I would hope it would be assumed that I had read it. I did. Then, upon your reference, I went back to it.

In my response, I was trying to suggest that the value of private enterprise is overstated, as the argument leaves out the value to society of the public enterprise. Also, I was trying to get the conversation away from the idea that private enterprise does not pay to use public goods, which is an idea that is brought up every time someone points out that private enterprise uses public goods.

Your idea that "Public workers create nothing" is at the heart of my argument, because it shows a disdain for what public enterprise has done for society. If the achievements of public enterprise suddenly disappeared, that would include roads, power generation and transmission equipment, water purification and distribution facilities, and on and on.

I am not saying, and I made this clear last time, that government efforts are perfect. I am saying that government efforts and achievements should not be lightly discounted, as if they are meaningless to society.

Old 07-22-2012, 05:40 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,201,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel12 View Post
Listening to what you say I can't imagine why did Obama go to private harvard and now is sending his kids to a private school? Maybe he doesn't read C-D?
Yeah, we all know how cheap a ivy league education is..

Old 07-22-2012, 05:50 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,177,911 times
Everyone has access to public education, roads in front of their home, where they work, fire/police, etc...but not everyone is involved with their own business. Why is that Obama? Only a select few people have the drive, determination, brains to make a business work which seems to fly in the face of Obama/Liberal logic that successful business down own their success to their own efforts, but owe their success to government.

Old 07-22-2012, 06:33 PM

812 posts, read 595,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkeconomist View Post
Given that I quoted you on that post, I would hope it would be assumed that I had read it. I did. Then, upon your reference, I went back to it.

In my response, I was trying to suggest that the value of private enterprise is overstated, as the argument leaves out the value to society of the public enterprise. Also, I was trying to get the conversation away from the idea that private enterprise does not pay to use public goods, which is an idea that is brought up every time someone points out that private enterprise uses public goods.

Your idea that "Public workers create nothing" is at the heart of my argument, because it shows a disdain for what public enterprise has done for society. If the achievements of public enterprise suddenly disappeared, that would include roads, power generation and transmission equipment, water purification and distribution facilities, and on and on.

I am not saying, and I made this clear last time, that government efforts are perfect. I am saying that government efforts and achievements should not be lightly discounted, as if they are meaningless to society.
I think you have a disconnect with what happens on the occasions which you suggest public creates something, I.e. they contract private enterprise for that production. Since WPA, when did you ever hear of government workers building roads, they don't. Occasionally I can drive down my street or area streets and find 5 public workers standing and watching one guy operate a shovel. I just saw that less than a month ago positively telling the truth and I have made such observations all my considerable life.

Whereas water purification and the like may employ some directly employed workers, guess what, they were trained by the private enterprise that built the purification system in the first place. Your argument is totally bogus. There is nothing the government does that private for profit could not do better and cheaper. Why do people have such a disconnect about the fact that yes private enterprise uses publicly managed facilities such as roads, the argument is bogus because the very same taxes they paid from the earnings of their enterprise paid for thos roads and paid the private contractors that built them.

Old 07-22-2012, 06:40 PM

2,546 posts, read 2,464,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valerie d View Post
I think you have a disconnect with what happens on the occasions which you suggest public creates something, I.e. they contract private enterprise for that production. Since WPA, when did you ever hear of government workers building roads, they don't. Occasionally I can drive down my street or area streets and find 5 public workers standing and watching one guy operate a shovel. I just saw that less than a month ago positively telling the truth and I have made such observations all my considerable life.

Whereas water purification and the like may employ some directly employed workers, guess what, they were trained by the private enterprise that built the purification system in the first place. Your argument is totally bogus. There is nothing the government does that private for profit could not do better and cheaper. Why do people have such a disconnect about the fact that yes private enterprise uses publicly managed facilities such as roads, the argument is bogus because the very same taxes they paid from the earnings of their enterprise paid for thos roads and paid the private contractors that built them.
Then the obvious question is would you prefer to live in a world without government, where private enterprise handles everything? And is it your position that this world would be better?

Old 07-22-2012, 07:17 PM

812 posts, read 595,204 times
I be live the obvious role of government is security. A strong well supplied military an a strong well supplied police force. I suppose in this modern age some regulatory infrastructure is needed but very limited. I believe the entire public school system should be dismantled in favor of private run schools. I believe academia is so engrained and such a force that it is unfairly saddling our children with educational mortgages greater than the home mortgages of our generation with irrational influences that have left skilled trades bankrupt and liberal educated unemployable dummies in their stead. That would be my starting place. The first move I would make is two year conscription upon graduation or dropping out of a structured school. A choice between a civilian oriented rigorous full time apprenticeship to gain a skill at minimum or little better wage with the influence on assisting to improve the country or military service. Such a system would make men out of the kind of losers we find in the inner city drug centers. That would be my starting place. That would be my function for a government.

Old 07-22-2012, 07:27 PM

2,920 posts, read 2,797,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
Oh, so you don't care about quality you just want cheap. Wonder why Obama didn't follow this logic...

Old 07-22-2012, 07:31 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times
Default Did the State make you great?

I don't think that the state has made any businessmen great, no matter how some people think. The Romans were building roads, bridges, and water ways over 2000 years ago and they did it with government money. It seems that Obama doesn't know about that he seems to only know about modern governments building infrastructure. Maybe the Romans did tax wealthy people much heavier than we do but they still built all that infrastructure with government money.

We don’t credit the Swiss postal service with the Special Theory of Relativity because it transmitted Einstein’s manuscript to the Annalen der Physik. Everyone drives the roads, goes to school, uses the mails. So did Steve Jobs. Yet only he created the Mac and the iPad.

Charles Krauthammer: Did the state make you great? - The Washington Post

Old 07-22-2012, 07:38 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,201,923 times
Quote:
Oh, so you don't care about quality you just want cheap. Wonder why Obama didn't follow this logic...
You haven't establish any of the ivy league PRIVATE school provide a better education. Best I can tell they're average at best.

Old 07-22-2012, 07:39 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,464,356 times
Quote:
Listening to what you say I can't imagine why did Obama go to private harvard and now is sending his kids to a private school? Maybe he doesn't read C-D?
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
Quote:
Mr. Obama said he had “undoubtedly benefited from affirmative action” in his own academic career, and he praised the intellectual heft and wide-ranging views of his diverse staff.

“The success of the program speaks for itself,” he said of the law review’s affirmative action policy in a letter published in the school’s student newspaper.
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/03/us...pagewanted=all

For the record...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies