Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2012, 08:00 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,995,916 times

Advertisements

It's not "Government" money...it's the PEOPLE'S money......let's make that distinction! WE pay for our infrastructure! So, yes....anything that has been built, was with the PEOPLE'S money. The government has no money, but what they take from us.

Old 07-22-2012, 08:03 PM

2,546 posts, read 2,464,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valerie d View Post
I be live the obvious role of government is security. A strong well supplied military an a strong well supplied police force. I suppose in this modern age some regulatory infrastructure is needed but very limited. I believe the entire public school system should be dismantled in favor of private run schools. I believe academia is so engrained and such a force that it is unfairly saddling our children with educational mortgages greater than the home mortgages of our generation with irrational influences that have left skilled trades bankrupt and liberal educated unemployable dummies in their stead. That would be my starting place. The first move I would make is two year conscription upon graduation or dropping out of a structured school. A choice between a civilian oriented rigorous full time apprenticeship to gain a skill at minimum or little better wage with the influence on assisting to improve the country or military service. Such a system would make men out of the kind of losers we find in the inner city drug centers. That would be my starting place. That would be my function for a government.
Well, we're at an impasse. I believe that government has a purpose, the yin to private enterprise's yang, the combination of which benefits all of society. You take a strongly contrasting stance. This result would fit in the "middle ground" thread, because we clearly have no middle ground to meet on.

Old 07-22-2012, 08:12 PM

3,045 posts, read 3,193,246 times
It's sort of a stupid question given that the people who run the government are elected by the people. Notice how every first world country has a strong government. Also notice how places like Somalia have a pathetically tiny GDP to go along with the lack of a central leadership.

It's sort of funny how some people on this forum live solely off of government money and then come on here talking about how bad government is.

Quote:
It's not "Government" money...it's the PEOPLE'S money......let's make that distinction! WE pay for our infrastructure! So, yes....anything that has been built, was with the PEOPLE'S money. The government has no money, but what they take from us.
Government of the people, for the people, by the people. That's not a new concept. What's your point exactly?

Old 07-22-2012, 08:16 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
Lol, not at all. But theyre hoping all the billionaires billions will turn the tide with Joe six pack more likely middle class ppl are going to be disgusted with the wingnuts huge waste of wealth to try and buy this election.
Yeah, we all know Obama isnt planning to raise and spend a lot of money this election, just like in 2008, he barely raised a dime.

Old 07-22-2012, 08:25 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,005,733 times
I don't think Reagan would agree with Obama and his communist views and his apparent disgust for business. I don't think Obama loves the country like old Reagan did either. Not in the least.

Remarks at the National Conference of the National Federation of Independent Business - 6/22/83 - YouTube!

Old 07-22-2012, 08:27 PM

2,930 posts, read 2,224,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noexcuseforignorance View Post
It's sort of a stupid question given that the people who run the government are elected by the people. Notice how every first world country has a strong government. Also notice how places like Somalia have a pathetically tiny GDP to go along with the lack of a central leadership.

It's sort of funny how some people on this forum live solely off of government money and then come on here talking about how bad government is.

Government of the people, for the people, by the people. That's not a new concept. What's your point exactly?
You must live in "Babble-on"!!

Who on this forum lives "soley off of government money",...and how would you profess to have that knowledge? Engage brain before engaging mouth.

Our fearless leader just said that no one built a business, that a teacher, or a government entity built the infrastructure that CAUSED a business to succeed. Obama never mentioned the fact that a large percentage of start-up businesses fail,....so maybe we should blame that failure on some teacher or a government for lack of support and adequate infrastructure.

For our president to discount the ingenuity of the entrpreneur is just ignorant.

Old 07-22-2012, 08:32 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
Yes it did
Ca has been very good to me

Old 07-22-2012, 08:34 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,290,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
Yes it did
Ca has been very good to me
You consider yourself "great"????

Old 07-22-2012, 08:50 PM

2,920 posts, read 2,797,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
You haven't establish any of the ivy league PRIVATE school provide a better education. Best I can tell they're average at best.
I don't see why your opinion be valuable here. Why don't you ask your idol Obama why he went to Columbia and then Harvard

Old 07-22-2012, 09:13 PM

15,863 posts, read 21,441,250 times
I consider myself great. I survived cancer at 23. The state put forth the VAST majority of research money into finding an effective treatment for my cancer and creating ways to manage the side effects. My state (Massachusetts) offers a safety net for people with serious illness who were uninsurable (as I was deemed prior to getting a job with insurance 4 months before my diagnosis). Friends make me great - and many of my friends wouldn't be here if not for MassHealth (including a 29 year old recent science masters program grad who could not get insurance due to a preexisting condition, got on MassHealth, and had her doctor find a lump that was found to be stage III and require a double mastectomy and 8 months of chemo before her 30th birthday).

The state funded my public school where I learned to speak Spanish almost to fluency and French to a functional level. Through my high school advanced placement and IB courses, I learned to effectively speak and write about my point of view. These skills have all helped me to speak at local high schools and colleges about young adult cancer/illness since no one told me what to look for or I might have realized just how sick I was for the 4 years I was walking around with cancer growing inside of me. In particular, speaking to local 1st and 2nd gen immigrant populations while punctuating what I say with Spanish colloquialisms for effect is very rewarding as these groups are already at risk for late diagnosis.

Yes, I had parents who insisted that learning did not end when I left my school campus and that in turn helped me to earn more than 6 figures of scholarship money to a private college, including money to study abroad in 3 different countries. It was my oncologists who saved my life on the ground. And it was me who got me through some of the most physically painful and emotionally challenging experiences one can go through when way too young to deal with it. But without the superior public school education I received and both federal and state focus on cancer research and care, I would not have pulled through in the way that I did, not would I have been able to transform my experience into a way to teach and inspire others.

I have a rare cancer. There's no money to be made for finding treatments for it. There's even less incentive to find treatments for failed first line treatment (when only 8000 people a year in the US are diagnosed and maybe 1500 people a year relapse). Without state-sponsored research, I would likely not be here. Instead, front line treatment has a 90% cure rate overall (estimated 75% for me) and there are numerous "backups" if I were to relapse. And if I do relapse, MassHealth is there to help when I invariably lose my job and health insurance. Without the state, I likely would not even be here to be great. I would have been long dead with the treatment of even just 30 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies