Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2012, 05:16 PM

9,324 posts, read 16,663,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
Well, another desperate straw from the right. Please, in a way, he's right. Without customers that buy your service and/or product, how did your small business grow?
Because I put my blood, sweat and tears and worked long, hard hours, away from my family to bring customers into buy my products. Every dollar went back into the business to help build it. Obama doesn't know what it is to work for a living.

Old 07-16-2012, 05:20 PM

2,075 posts, read 2,137,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
I will concede this much. Obama looks like an amateur for letting that kind of comment slip out. I don't for a moment believe he really meant it as it was said, and I don't think half of you do either, but it's an amateurish thing to say.

I think one of the problems Obama has had in his first four years is that he sometimes doesn't listen to people who know how things work in Washington. I think Obama thought he knew what he wanted to accomplish and he decided that he wasn't always going to listen to those who had been there longer and knew the system better, because on some level, he decided that he could somehow dismantle the system and make it work his way -- like he could just single-handedly make that happen on his own. Incredibly naive. I think that's a problem he had a lot in his first two years. I think he's improved a lot since 2010, but he still sometimes makes those same kinds of gaffes. I get the feeling he just goes off script once in a while.

Fortunately for him, he's probably better at campaigning and stump speaking than he is at hammering out policy.
Obama's statements are so far out they are back in again. He should implement an "open mouth, insert
foot". policy. He's the guy you love to hate, because, he has worked hard to anger any group he can.

Example ? The Catholic church over "contraception". The Anti Illegal Alien groups with his "Dream Act"
end run around congress. Seniors, by cutting 500 billlion from Medicare to finance Obama care. Most
current small business owners .Yesterdays stupid comment's alienated most of them. And on and on-

The point is, Obama is his own worst enemy. He should just shut up.

Old 07-16-2012, 05:21 PM

156 posts, read 195,533 times
Everything Obama says is a calculated delivery to drag out this mess and get people all hell-bent on proving "their" opinions. The plain fact that he is just as much a puppet as the last one and the one before that, ad infinitum, means nothing to people as long as they feel a part of this silly drama. It would be the same with Romney or whomever else they shove up unto that stage to have at the script they recite on the teleprompter.

Like it or not, things will be greatly changed in this country, and the world, and that is the point.

Question is: why do we put up with this sort of idiocy? I do not just mean Obama's purposeful flaming script here. Nothing gets done, nothing at all that benefits the usual American other than platitudes and heart-tug moments. Is this sort of jabbering from a paper tiger the way to run a government other than in some banana republic, dolled up in a wardrobe that is increasingly transparent?

Go ahead, think Romney will be better: he won't be! No one from -R & -D, Inc. represents you in any honest way nor are they much concerned about that lapse in governing.

Last edited by Frankums; 07-16-2012 at 05:32 PM..

Old 07-16-2012, 05:24 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
Don't have to have a business resume to:

Acknowledge and have gratitude that people took the time in your past and present to give you the opportunities you have.

(rephrased)
Big time rephrased because that is not what he said.

He said that "someone else made it happen"

Old 07-16-2012, 05:31 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,117,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Big time rephrased because that is not what he said.

He said that "someone else made it happen"
No I rephrased my sentence to match the tone and tense of the post I was responding to.... And yes somebody else made it happen. Can't even begin to start a business if the opportunity doesn't exist. Some made that opportunity for you.

Old 07-16-2012, 05:33 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,527,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
Because I put my blood, sweat and tears and worked long, hard hours, away from my family to bring customers into buy my products. Every dollar went back into the business to help build it. Obama doesn't know what it is to work for a living.
But eventually, someone had to buy your product, eh?

Old 07-16-2012, 05:34 PM

3,398 posts, read 5,105,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
Yes.

And thanks for stating this clearly. This was my exact line of thought when Elizabeth Warren gave essentially the same speech a few months back.
Please explain why.

Old 07-16-2012, 05:35 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,416,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
Here's my question: What was the point of him saying this? I read the full transcript of that speech and these remarks seemed out of place. It did seem like he was building to something like, "Therefore, we are raising taxes on all businesses to 90%." But he just didn't build to anything.

It was as though Steve Jobs is teling his parents about his latest success and out of nowhere, they say, "You know, we supported you for 18 yrs....."

It just seems like he is saying to successful business owners "Hey, don't be TOO proud of yourselves." And yet these are the very people that actually do create jobs! AND HIS GOVT is the entity that is making it so difficult for them to succeed!!

I do business loans for a living, so I know. Yes I do consider myself an expert in this area. You know the SBA loan program he likes to tout so much? Did you know that under the SBA 7a program, you as a business owner have to pledge ALL AVAILABLE COLLATERAL??? So, if you want a loan of $400k, you have to pledge your house, your life insurance, any property you own, EVERYTHING. But hey, don't get too full of yourselves because, you know, we are doing you this huge favor by granting this loan.

Just remember that the next time you see a business owner. Almost always, they dedicate their entire LIVES to their businesses. Please please please do NOT minimize their efforts Mr President.
He believes it. What's remarkable is he hasn't hid any of these beliefs they are there for anyone to read.

Old 07-16-2012, 05:35 PM

3,398 posts, read 5,105,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libsk View Post
I swear, the libs are really coming out of the woodwork and displaying their true agenda, redistribution if wealth. They believe in the Soviet style of government. Very sad. Very, VERY sad statement regarding those on the left. In their minds, they should be given a salary as high as the person providing them with a job.
Then why the h3ll take on the liability of owning a business?

Old 07-16-2012, 05:36 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,117,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Who invented the equipment that made it possible to build roads and bridges in the first place?

You have a village of 100 workers, everyone is living in straw thatched huts, and no one has discovered how to smelt metal, much less invented the light bulb.

Along comes the government man, who says everyone has the right to live in a clean, dry, safe home, so he mandates that "...someone needs to design a better house then ones made from sticks". All the workers stand around and harrumph "Yeah, someone should do that".

Year after year, the same government man has added twenty more rights and mandates, like telephones, air conditioning and frozen foods. The people still live in straw huts, and the workers still harrumph "Yeah, someone should do that".

At some point, some brilliant and inventive person will toil and labor over an idea and invent the light bulb, frozen foods or steel, and the workers will help produce them. Without the inventors, risk takers and people with vision and leadership, we would still be living in straw huts.

Our society would be a poor one, if we rewarded people like Henry Ford, by claiming their inventions, ideas and hard work were not their own, and some else made it happen.

If you want to make the claim that we are all standing on the shoulders of the inventions and achievements from giants of the past, I understand the analogy.
It's more than that.

Everything I've said and my opinion can be summed here:

All you owe is the acknowledgement and gratitude that people took the time in your past and present to give you the opportunities you have.

Quote:
However, government is standing on top all of our shoulders, and it's getting very heavy for those entrepreneurs and visionaries at the bottom. If we want to advance as a nation, we can't kick the legs out of the giants that are among us today, which is what Obama seems intent on doing.

So we go from the statement from our president with implications that (again), "All you owe is the acknowledgement and gratitude that people took the time in your past and present to give you the opportunities you have," to hyper partisan bickering. The quote above is irrelevant to the OP.

But I'll bite anyway. If we are to advance as a nation, we can't rely on personal debt to perpetuate our economy. Obama didn't make people take on loads of debt prior to his presidency. People need to take more responsibility for their situation and not erroneously blame our government. There are no doubt people who made mostly the right moves who don't deserve/should be suffering without a job or underemployed. However, there are too many more people who fell in love with easy credit and irresponsible consumerism. And boy that personal debt will bite you in the arse in these tough times as we are witnessing. Add this to the fact that our government at all levels have become very bloated and it's not a good picture, but I believe our personal debt and lack of a proper stimulus is holding us back more.

Long story short and I think we can actually mostly agree on as a forum: if our country doesn't stop electing the status quo and wanting to have one's cake and eat it too then we'll keep having more elections where we are voting for the tallest midget.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies