Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 01:43 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,750,216 times

Advertisements

I don't think co-ed classrooms are an experiment, that said, maybe breaking up the day into certain sections with boy only and girl only groups or classrooms could be a good thing. Boys and girls do learn differently and act differently. It could be an option for parents to choose or deny for their children. I'm open to that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2012, 01:43 PM

79,908 posts, read 44,064,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
There was a study...actually many studies of the effects of having a very attractive girl close to an adolescent boy. Invariably, the boy actually goes a little crazy, and finds it difficult to concentrate.

There is some merit outside of religious dogma for the concept of single sex classrooms.
I am sure it does make a small difference. There are trade offs though. This is where you learn to interact with the opposite sex.

Old 07-16-2012, 01:48 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,927,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I am sure it does make a small difference. There are trade offs though. This is where you learn to interact with the opposite sex.
Well I differ with the OP on the idea that COEducation is bad. I have not seen a study that a coed school provides a sub par education because it is coed, only that adolescent boys have an actual chemical reaction in their brain when in close proximity with an attractice girl that mimics signs of being crazy(not the clinical definition). So I would say just make some of the classes single sex but keep the COEd character of the school. I would certainly go for that at the high school level.

Old 07-16-2012, 01:52 PM

4,254 posts, read 5,594,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayneinspain View Post
The first link is sponsored by an extremist Catholic organization seemingly hell-bent on starting a new Crusade...

...and the second one is all about the rantings -- er, I mean research -- of one Dr Leonard Sax, a well-criticized loon (who, in part, advocates for the corporal punishment of boys). Look up MCRCAD or NASSPE. Where does the OP find this garbage?

Pass.
Translation:

Old 07-16-2012, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
Well I differ with the OP on the idea that COEducation is bad. I have not seen a study that a coed school provides a sub par education because it is coed, only that adolescent boys have an actual chemical reaction in their brain when in close proximity with an attractice girl that mimics signs of being crazy(not the clinical definition). So I would say just make some of the classes single sex but keep the COEd character of the school. I would certainly go for that at the high school level.
Well, the Florida study quoted in the OP, among many others, shows strong correlations between co-education and inferior academic performance. What they don't prove is causation: that's left for us to figure out.

The fact is that boys behave very differently around girls. Boys are harder to discipline around girls. They take fewer risks for fear of failure. Girls re-arrange boys' priorities. The constant presence of girls also changes the social dynamics between the boys themselves. For example, boys are more cruel to each other in co-ed environments. I think the incidence of bullying among boys could be greatly reduced by returning to single-sex education.

Last edited by WesternPilgrim; 07-16-2012 at 02:13 PM..

Old 07-16-2012, 02:22 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,892,050 times
If you give in to the right wing they'll just keep pulling you further towards the extreme. Now they want schools segregated based on sex? What are you, the Taliban?

Old 07-16-2012, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
There are trade offs though. This is where you learn to interact with the opposite sex.
Once upon a time children had other social outlets beyond school that provided ample opportunity for interacting with the opposite sex - neighborhood, family friends, church, clubs, etc. Now for most kids school is everything.

Perhaps a return to single-sex education would help re-ignite some of these other worthwhile social venues. Diversity is a good thing, right?

Old 07-16-2012, 02:27 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,853,557 times
As usual, the lefties have nothing to contribute but smart-assed references to the Crusades and the Taliban. I mean, why think when you can just revert to stupid leftist dogma?

I'm all for it, if it is indeed beneficial to education. For more important an issue than making sure we're being "PC" and complying with "gender neutrality," but YMMV.

Old 07-16-2012, 02:31 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,927,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
As usual, the lefties have nothing to contribute but smart-assed references to the Crusades and the Taliban. I mean, why think when you can just revert to stupid leftist dogma?

I'm all for it, if it is indeed beneficial to education. For more important an issue than making sure we're being "PC" and complying with "gender neutrality," but YMMV.
As usual, more generalization. Did you not read my post. I said that there is some merit in single sex classrooms. But if you want to continue to live in the world created in your mind, please feel free.

Old 07-16-2012, 02:33 PM

79,908 posts, read 44,064,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post

Right you are. There are benefits and it's a worthwhile discussion (as long as it's done honestly which I do not believe the initial links do). Some would prefer to show their ignorance though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies