Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 12:05 AM

5,190 posts, read 4,837,755 times

Advertisements

I'll admit to being a little in the dark over Obamacare, but superficially it sounds like a good thing, right?

I mean, free health care for all - what's wrong with that?

ok, perhaps a small extra tax burden but surely that covers the cost of not needing insurance or the potential expenses under the current system.

anyway, I'd like to learn some more details.

why is there so much opposition?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2012, 12:08 AM

2,548 posts, read 2,163,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
I'll admit to being a little in the dark over Obamacare, but superficially it sounds like a good thing, right?

I mean, free health care for all - what's wrong with that?

ok, perhaps a small extra tax burden but surely that covers the cost of not needing insurance or the potential expenses under the current system.

anyway, I'd like to learn some more details.

why is there so much opposition?
people oppose it for different reasons. Some people oppose it because it's associated with Obama, some oppose it because of the mandates, some oppose it becaue it's really not health care reform but insurance reform, some oppose it because they oppose govt regulation, etc... It's not free health care for all. It's not universal health care. There is a lot of misinformation out there.

Old 07-16-2012, 12:12 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
The costs of it. Apparently all the costs of the unlimited free health care will be placed on only a few people -- and how is that fair? All these people want everything provided to them completely free, they don't want to pay for what they get, but they want someone else to pay everything.

Old 07-16-2012, 12:14 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,040,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
The costs of it. Apparently all the costs of the unlimited free health care will be placed on only a few people -- and how is that fair? All these people want everything provided to them completely free, they don't want to pay for what they get, but they want someone else to pay everything.
Who are these people who get unlimited free health care for free and where is that in the legislation?

Old 07-16-2012, 12:15 AM

I thought it came out of taxes though - so doesn't that mean all working people make some kind of a contribution?

Old 07-16-2012, 12:16 AM

Quote:
People who currently have private insurance will have to continue to pay their premiums and deductibles. Just like Medicare isn't free, Obamacare will not be free to most people. It certainly won't be free to me and I"m middle class.

Old 07-16-2012, 12:17 AM

how does the current system work for the self or un-employed?

can you just buy insurance even if you have no job?

some countries don't allow this for some reason.

also, on average , how much would insurance cost for a middle aged man with no pre-existing?

Old 07-16-2012, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
I thought it came out of taxes though - so doesn't that mean all working people make some kind of a contribution?
Basically you have to get insurance. Insurance is not free , even Medicare isn't free. Some people pay a pretty high price. I know people who pay $300 a month and have a $3,000 deductible for insurance.

Old 07-16-2012, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frugality View Post
People who currently have private insurance will have to continue to pay their premiums and deductibles. Just like Medicare isn't free, Obamacare will not be free to most people. It certainly won't be free to me and I"m middle class.
but can't you just ditch the private insurance and rely on Obamacare instead?

or is that no good?

Old 07-16-2012, 12:20 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,924,458 times
Maybe the OP should user the search function to read exactly how many thread have answered this question already?

Quote:
Boy, oh boy, have you ever got that right! I'll lose my insurance of 16 +years to Obamacare yet I still am forced to underwrite the coverage of the non-productive.

Last edited by lifelongMOgal; 07-16-2012 at 12:42 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies