Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 12:19 PM

3,265 posts, read 3,193,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beliciano View Post
I have always wondered how people could be conservative, but work for the government.
Cognitive dissonance is a powerful thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2012, 08:16 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
Lawrence Otis Graham mentioned how the white middle class has depended on corporate jobs. Could blacks have taken the same route? Hasn't discrimination in corporate America been too much of an issue for enough blacks to have relied on that route to the middle class?
A good portion of corporate jobs are based on "who you know" not necessarily "what you know." (this of course is true of all industries.) Considering the average person only socializes and "knows" people in their same class and ethnic group, it is pretty hard to get your foot in the door in corporate America, if you don't know other corporate people.

Considering the huge gains in educational attainment of African-Americans over the past 30-40 years, you would think the penetration is higher, but it isn't. Couple this with the fact that women, people of color etc, don't get into the senior leadership often, and hit the glass/whatever ceiling pretty quickly, is it a surprise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eRayP View Post
whites don't' get a fair share either, oh they get to work but their a big portion of their pay is taken away from them.
This is true for everyone, whether your check is from a public or private source.

For the record, I am black. My granddad and dad are republicans and generally vote that way. (My dad has made a few exceptions over the years, he voted for Clinton and Obama. In addition to the Bushes and Regan.)

Old 07-24-2012, 08:17 PM

3,201 posts, read 3,857,922 times
Who cares?

Old 07-24-2012, 08:22 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,594,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
Sorry but the Republicans haven't been the part of Abraham Lincoln for almost 50 years.
Todays GOP represents Koch Brothers and corporations. It is not a human entity.

The new face of America, is no face at all.

Old 07-24-2012, 08:27 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,594,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big George View Post
The answer to the OP is a picture of a black man. That is ALL that matters.
WRONG.
That is you, projecting your racism.

Independent white women aren't voting for Romney.
But I'm sure you assume they will.

Old 07-24-2012, 09:01 PM

59 posts, read 49,139 times
This is a reason but the main reason is conservatives are so out of touch with blacks. All politics is, is running game. Republicans don't know how to game on blacks, democrats have it down to a science. Liberals play mind games with the poor and minorities and Conservatives play mind games with the wealthy. That's just how the game goes.

Old 07-24-2012, 09:06 PM

1,922 posts, read 1,745,659 times
Corporate America wants educated minorities to apply for jobs.

Old 07-24-2012, 09:26 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,937,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
Todays GOP represents Koch Brothers and corporations. It is not a human entity.

The new face of America, is no face at all.
By the left having Soros's and Unions makes them the better of two evils?

Old 07-24-2012, 10:34 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,376,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric Blue View Post
Probably true. Back in the day the 1st mayor Daley in Chicago filled up city hall with blacks as a form of patronage. It angered conservative whites like my parents,who had always supported him. Most were not qualified. Many could barely read and write.
I feel that way now about the many "bilingual" employees I encounter in hospitals or government buildings.... speaking more than one language and neither is English.

Old 07-25-2012, 02:47 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,301,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by totsuka View Post
It is odd to see how Black America votes for the Democrats despite how they are treated by them. Obama did not even bother to go to the NAACP meeting, but had time to go to Hollywood and suck up big money from them. I would have to question the ability of Black America to understand how their status in the Democratic party really shakes out.
And if President Obama did go to to the NAACP convention the right wing media would have had a field day talking about how he was pandering to the Black vote.

In fact, anything the President Obama doess that is specifically targeted at Black Americans is going to red-meat for Fox News, Limbaugh and other right wing media sources as unfair favoritism toward Black Americans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies