Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2012, 02:39 PM

6,387 posts, read 6,368,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Not at all. I am saying if Europe is so evolved and so perfect then why do more people flock to the USA. Keep in mind I have traveled Europe and found it lacking in space and freedom. Italy over all is ok but still dirty by our standards.
Agression? Europe does not command the moral high ground. They infact enjoy using US troops through NATO and the UN to do their dirty work. But I would suggest you review Europes actions through the UN in Africa. They are not so clean.
Oil for food scandal?????? France germany and Russia were caught with their hands in the cookie jar.
Perhaps you attempt to deflect from europe by painting the USA with broad strokes.
Without going into discussion about government policies (my impression is that since WWII, America has been the one commanding Europe's behavior), I can only speak from experience.

In my work, I meet people from all over Europe, and also from outside Europe. And I talk with people about their views regarding current issues. And from what people tell me, there is very little interest in patriotism, little need to flag-wave, little need to boss other countries around.

I think this is because they had a bad experience with Germany's patriotism in WWII.

Some of the friendliest people in the world: Danish, Dutch, Swedish, Turkish..

Before I'd ever move back to the US, there are many other countries I'd be more interested in living in. Without a doubt. And it doesn't surprise me that these countries are voted the "best places to live." It's not just cleanliness. It's how people treat each other that counts. People are worth more here. (They don't use the death penalty anymore, for example.) People aren't hung up on "the right to have a gun." They just want to live in peace.

In America that seems hard to do. Always someone who has to be the tough guy.

Peace,
brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2012, 02:43 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,219,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
I agree with you about the question of equality between nations.

Also, I don't think Iran would attack the US. I don't think they want to.
But I do think they want to be respected, and not bullied around. If Iran has something that the US wants, there needs to be cooperation and a solution that both sides are happy with.

Peace,
brian
Iran wants respect. Respect is a two way street. Threatening to destroy US flagged ships does not make for an opprotunity for peace. To my Knowledge the USA has never threatened Irans ships or their Navy. Nor has the USA threatened to close the straights of Hormuz effectively crippling Iran and her neighbors.
In short Iran is very much the victim of their own misdeeds.

Old 07-17-2012, 02:43 PM

78,409 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
US Navy Fires at Boat in Persian Gulf, Killing One | Common Dreams

Why is it America just can't learn to live in peace with the rest of the world???

Peace!
brian
Cookies must be enabled. | The Australian

Iranian sailors chase off pirates attacking U.S. ship - CNN

Russian navy vs. somalis (executed on spot after capture)

Funny how ignorant your post is of other world events. Convenient too....

Old 07-17-2012, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
I posted the rules of engagement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post

Two more "justifications" of American aggression:

4) Someone didn't follow the rules

5) Iran didn't allow UN inspectors.

(I'm still trying to figure out why Iran should have to allow inspections in the first place. Can Iran inspect America's nuclear facilities??)

Peace!
brian

Old 07-17-2012, 02:46 PM

78,409 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Without going into discussion about government policies (my impression is that since WWII, America has been the one commanding Europe's behavior), I can only speak from experience.

In my work, I meet people from all over Europe, and also from outside Europe. And I talk with people about their views regarding current issues. And from what people tell me, there is very little interest in patriotism, little need to flag-wave, little need to boss other countries around.

I think this is because they had a bad experience with Germany's patriotism in WWII.

Before I'd ever move back to the US, there are many other countries I'd be more interested in living in. Without a doubt. And it doesn't surprise me that these countries are voted the "best places to live." It's not just cleanliness. It's how people treat each other that counts. People are worth more here. (They don't use the death penalty anymore, for example.) People aren't hung up on "the right to have a gun." They just want to live in peace.

Peace,
brian
You are hiding under the bubble of NATO backed by the USA. Live where you want in Europe if it makes you feel any better but you are no more out from under the skirt of the US govt. there than here. Even the neutral non-NATO countries are protected by thier proximity and other Euro ties as well as secret agreements.

But hey, if the illusion makes you feel better then great. Ever read Watership Down?

Old 07-17-2012, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Iran wants respect. Respect is a two way street. Threatening to destroy US flagged ships does not make for an opprotunity for peace. To my Knowledge the USA has never threatened Irans ships or their Navy. Nor has the USA threatened to close the straights of Hormuz effectively crippling Iran and her neighbors.
In short Iran is very much the victim of their own misdeeds.
I think the list of disrespectful actions would go a long way back. The US helped to overthrow the Iranian government in the 50's; I'm not sure what Americans would say if Iran helped the overthrow the US government..

Many issues to address, on both sides. Warships don't resolve these.

Peace,
brian

Old 07-17-2012, 02:51 PM

Quote:

Peace,
brian
Where in the USA did you live?
Where I live neighbors take care of each other. Everything you just typed looks like something out of left wing media.
I have been to Turkey and you could not give me an all expense paid trip to Turkey.
The right to have a gun hurts no one.
The Death Penalty only hurts murderers. The world could do with a few less of those.
Europe also has a greater problem with human trafficing.
My favorite country is Thailand. By far more Europeans are arrested there in relation to sex tours. It would seem to me that Europe has no moral high ground. Not on a few occasions I over heard europeans refer to Thai's as brown monkeys. I have friends in the Philipines who relate many of the same stories.
The tough guy? Maybe in bars or the inner city but not in Rual America.
Naples Italy. Go Noth of Via Roma at your own peril.
In America I have my rights to my peoperty and I live in peace with all of my neighbors. When I go away they take care of my property for me. In fact I seldom lock my doors. I feel no need.

Old 07-17-2012, 02:51 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,106,357 times
Quote:
US Navy Fires at Boat in Persian Gulf, Killing One | Common Dreams

Why is it America just can't learn to live in peace with the rest of the world???

Peace!
brian
I see you have turned into a emasculated sissy boy just like the rest of the Italians.

What would you have done? They were told repeatedly to stay away from the US Navy vessel ... they did not and were blown up. Perhaps they should have heeded the warning.

Old 07-17-2012, 02:53 PM

Quote:
I think the list of disrespectful actions would go a long way back. The US helped to overthrow the Iranian government in the 50's; I'm not sure what Americans would say if Iran helped the overthrow the US government..

Many issues to address, on both sides. Warships don't resolve these.

Peace,
brian
LOL least of all threats made by a government that really cant back them.

Old 07-17-2012, 02:54 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,106,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
Who's done it to Switzerland recently?

What about Costa Rica, which has had no armed forces since 1948, and where "Military Abolition Day" is an official holiday?

Are those countries bigger and badder than we are?
The Coasta Rican Public Force is an army in all but name. They wear camouflage uniforms, carry M16 rifles, have mortars, light machine guns, drive armored vehicles ... yeah that's not a military
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies