Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 10:19 AM

2,134 posts, read 3,042,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Why is Julia entitled to live on the purchasing power of 69K if she doesn't have the skills to earn 69K on the job market?
What is the purchasing power of 69k? I live in a high Col area where Julia would be living in squalor and a family living on 69k would also qualify for benefits. Maybe my perspective is skewed in that regard? I see it as people with jobs that don't pay enough to live on. The op says people don't work or don't want to work. How do you have a full-time job and yet you don't work or don't want to work is a mystery to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2012, 10:20 AM

3,398 posts, read 5,104,724 times
Thank you for pointing out the poor already get more than plenty of services.

Old 07-17-2012, 10:24 AM

3,436 posts, read 2,948,742 times
This chart is somewhat misleading. I am not sure what state this is based on but this varies for state to state and housing programs vary by city/county. States/cities with higher costs of living give more in benefits. A single mother living in New York City (where the cost of living is high) making 29K/year would not qualify for food stamps. She would qualify for Section 8, childcare and CHIP (which leaves the mother uninsured unless she is paying a premium for herself through her employer), which are all subsidies - so she still has to pay something. If she lived somewhere where the cost of living is low such as Alabama, she would probably qualify for less or none at all, and would definitely not be better off there making 29k a year. Saying that a single mother is better off making 29k than she is making 69k a year in a state with a very low median income and low cost of living is definitely not true. The amount she would have to pay for rent/mortgage and child care vary from state to state. In states with high costs of living, there may not be a major difference in her quality of life either way. These programs are not designed to leave people with a lot of cash or money to save. If she were living in NYC making 69k/year with two children to care for, she could survive but would still not have a lot of cash or money to save, but I wouldn't say she would be better of making 29k.

In New York, a single mother of two cannot have an annual gross income over 24,096 to qualify for food stamps.

Food Stamps | OTDA

She would qualify for section 8, since the income limit is $37,350 for a family of three in New York City.

Public Housing Income Limits - New York City Housing Authority

She would qualify for day care subsidies. The income limit is for a family of three is
$36,620.

Resources for Working Families | OTDA

She would not qualify for Medicaid. The income limit for a family of three is $15,985.

Medicaid

She could get CHIP for her children with a total premium of $18/month ($9/child). The income limit is $3,532 for a family of three.

Old 07-17-2012, 10:26 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,279,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Factsplease View Post
This chart is somewhat misleading. I am not sure what state this is based on but this varies for state to state and housing programs vary by city/county. States/cities with higher costs of living give more in benefits. A single mother living in New York City (where the cost of living is high) making 29K/year would not qualify for food stamps. She would qualify for Section 8, childcare and CHIP (which leaves the mother uninsured unless she is paying a premium for herself through her employer), which are all subsidies - so she still has to pay something. If she lived somewhere where the cost of living is low such as Alabama, she would probably qualify for less or none at all, and would definitely not be better off there making 29k a year. Saying that a single mother is better off making 29k than she is making 69k a year in a state with a very low median income and low cost of living is definitely not true. The amount she would have to pay for rent/mortgage and child care vary from state to state. In states with high costs of living, there may not be a major difference in her quality of life either way. These programs are not designed to leave people with a lot of cash or money to save. If she were living in NYC making 69k/year with two children to care for, she could survive but would still not have a lot of cash or money to save, but I wouldn't say she would be better of making 29k.

In New York, a single mother of two cannot have an annual gross income over 24,096 to qualify for food stamps.

Food Stamps | OTDA

She would qualify for section 8, since the income limit is $37,350 for a family of three in New York City.

She would qualify for day care subsidies. The income limit is for a family of three is
$36,620.

She would not qualify for Medicaid. The income limit for a family of three is $15,985.

Medicaid

She could get CHIP for her children with a total premium of $18/month ($9/child). The income limit is $3,532 for a family of three.
The chart would differ by region. I don't think anyone has compiled a list of 50 charts to find out the welfare cliffs. This is the best example available.

Old 07-17-2012, 10:31 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,458,172 times
Quote:
The statute also provides authority for costs of such projects which would not otherwise be an allowable use of funds under Part A of Title IV to be regarded as an allowable use of funds, to the extent and for the period approved.

As specified in statute, the purpose of Part A is to increase the flexibility of states in operating a program designed to: (1) provide assistance to needy families so that children may be cared for in their own homes or in the homes of relatives; (2) end the dependence of needy parents on government benefits by promoting job preparation, work, and marriage; (3) prevent and reduce the incidence of out-of-wedlock pregnancies and establish annual numerical goals for preventing and reducing the incidence of these pregnancies; and (4) encourage the formation and maintenance of two-parent families.

HHS is encouraging states to consider new, more effective ways to meet the goals of TANF, particularly helping parents successfully prepare for, find, and retain employment. Therefore, HHS is issuing this information memorandum to notify states of the Secretary’s willingness to exercise her waiver authority under section 1115 of the Social Security Act to allow states to test alternative and innovative strategies, policies, and procedures that are designed to improve employment outcomes for needy families.
TANF-ACF-IM-2012-03

Whatever gets you votes, Barack, to finally put you over the top so you can continue enslaving us. We're here for, You, man through all the whips, chains and shackles you can come up with. We're here for, You, man...

Old 07-17-2012, 10:34 AM

I can relate to these numbers and I know for a fact that a woman in this position is not living large. Even if she has a bf to help her get her nails done and pay for a cell phone it's a miserable check to check existence. The op wouldn't want to live in the neighborhoods this woman could afford to live in but the op paints a rosy picture. Like "Julia" is living a great life.

Btw, section 8 is closed so Julia would only qualify for chip and day care subsidy on 29k in Nyc. Julia has to shack up with a bf or live in the projects around here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factsplease View Post

Food Stamps | OTDA

$36,620.

Medicaid

Old 07-17-2012, 10:34 AM

My wife is right at this salary region. Perhaps when I knock her up, we should get divorced "on paper" for a couple of years?

Old 07-17-2012, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper03 View Post
I can relate to these numbers and I know for a fact that a woman in this position is not living large. Even if she has a bf to help her get her nails done and pay for a cell phone it's a miserable check to check existence. The op wouldn't want to live in the neighborhoods this woman could afford to live in but the op paints a rosy picture. Like "Julia" is living a great life.

Btw, section 8 is closed so Julia would only qualify for chip and day care subsidy on 29k in Nyc. Julia has to shack up with a bf or live in the projects around here.
Is Julia prohibited from crossing the Hudson or going upstate for Section 8?

Old 07-17-2012, 10:41 AM

3,436 posts, read 2,948,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
The chart would differ by region. I don't think anyone has compiled a list of 50 charts to find out the welfare cliffs. This is the best example available.
No it is a biased example from a biased source which is pushing an agenda. The median household income, according to the 2010 census was $51,914. If this woman was grossing 69k/year, she is above the national median. Whoever did this chart obviously based this on a city (maybe NYC) with a high cost of living and failed to disclose this information. The chart also shows her in the food stamp area, but even in NYC she wouldn't be able to get food stamps unless she is disabled. Whether she lives in NYC or Houston, TX makes a huge difference. Clearly the source is biased.

At the top of this chart, it says in so many words that Obama is to blame and Romney can fix this.The widening gap in income and income inequality are more to blame for the rising number of people needing government assistance than Obama. The average worker has received a very small increase in pay over the last 20 years, while the increase in CEO pay is huge. The cost of living is increasing faster than the salaries of average workers. Where does this leave people? What would you expect?

Old 07-17-2012, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
My wife is right at this salary region. Perhaps when I knock her up, we should get divorced "on paper" for a couple of years?
Whatever floats your boat. I make triple my husbands salary. We discussed it and aren't interested in being degraded by going through the system that gets in your business and treats you like a dirtbag moocher. Some folks don't care though. Anything for a extra few dollars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies