Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 04:05 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,778,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
I've never gotten a left equivalent. It seems to be entirely the wet dreams of the right.

What do I do? First, I tried to track them back to what demented mind they came from, but found most could be followed no farther than a proxy server in Scottsdale, AZ.

Then, I started verifying them with snopes.com and truthorfiction.com, then sending the results to "all." That sends the truth to every moron unwise enough to leave their e-mail addresses in the message.

Result? I get a lot less of them and some people have simply quit fellowshipping with me, including friends and even family. The sad, inescapable fact is that too many people don't WANT to know the truth. They prefer their own bigotries to facts.
Ahhh take heart. Some of us with integrity in mind know full well when a monkey can't prove their case on merits, the first thing they grab is a pile of poop. Republicans are beyond redemption. They sold their soul long ago and this zombie in it's stead is straight up treason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2012, 04:07 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,279,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
You know the kind, those emails endlessly forwarded and sometimes disguised as "jokes" (about "illegals", the national debt, gays, minorities, guns, Obama, etc.). So is there a liberal equivalent to this, or is it mostly just conservatives who send this kinda stuff? And if you're not a conservative or republican, and yet still receive a lot of this anyway, how do you handle it... just ignore them, ask not to receive 'em anymore, make a comment, or... ??? (and how does that go over)?!
I guess you can go read DU where they are known to have many wish the opposition death and cancer I guess.

Old 07-17-2012, 04:08 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,258,566 times
Quote:
I've never gotten a left equivalent. It seems to be entirely the wet dreams of the right.

What do I do? First, I tried to track them back to what demented mind they came from, but found most could be followed no farther than a proxy server in Scottsdale, AZ.

Then, I started verifying them with snopes.com and truthorfiction.com, then sending the results to "all." That sends the truth to every moron unwise enough to leave their e-mail addresses in the message.

Result? I get a lot less of them and some people have simply quit fellowshipping with me, including friends and even family. The sad, inescapable fact is that too many people don't WANT to know the truth. They prefer their own bigotries to facts.
One of the funniest things I have seen all day is you saying that too many people don't WANT to know the truth. That is saying that those who may be telling the truth don't agree with you so they aren't telling truth. Only your kind knows and talks about the truth even when some of those things you don't like can be proven true no matter what Snopes or TruthorFiction says. Surely you do know that when Snopes says maybe they are admitting that they can't say untrue.

Come on you aren't the only one who knows the real truth, I think.

Old 07-17-2012, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback, my experience is similar, and I never get any liberal versions either (except for maybe the occasional Dem request for donations)! Have also tried to gently point out the ones that are obvious lies via snopes, etc., but like you say, it's as though they dont wanna know. Have already had to quit 2 local social organizations 'cuz the group email list quickly degenerated into this kinda stuff, with some of it getting racial and pretty vile, and yet if you object, they still seem to feel entitled to doing it!

So am noticing it now even among conservative friends, otherwise nice folks who I naturally don't want to antagonize, but at the same time I'm getting tired of hearing all the unsolicited propaganda about illegals, muslims, Obama, etc., especially when a lot of it's so obviously completely false. The whole thing's such a weird phenomenon that seems to be a unique product of the Web... yet these folks seem possessed by it!
Have you ever seen my definition of the bolded word? I say that propaganda is anything from an absolute truth to an absolute lie that is used to further an agenda. No matter which side it comes from it has to be used to further an agenda to be propaganda. One side or the other calling it propaganda doesn't make it that just because they said it.

Old 07-17-2012, 04:16 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,211,931 times
Quote:
You know the kind, those emails endlessly forwarded and sometimes disguised as "jokes" (about "illegals", the national debt, gays, minorities, guns, Obama, etc.). So is there a liberal equivalent to this, or is it mostly just conservatives who send this kinda stuff? And if you're not a conservative or republican, and yet still receive a lot of this anyway, how do you handle it... just ignore them, ask not to receive 'em anymore, make a comment, or... ??? (and how does that go over)?!
I don't have any conservative friends but I do have several email accounts. They all point to a single account with some awesome filters. Believe me... I do NOT get those email, to an estimation of up to 200 a day. But remember, I don't have conservative friends. And the filter email dumps them after 30 days.

Old 07-17-2012, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
It is mostly facebook posts. I have not seen the liberal equivalent, if there is such a thing. I think facebook is more of a social network and not a political network. I tend to just ignore the political posts. I have noticed that most others do as well. You would think they would quit posting, but yet they continue.
Liberals don't need the internet to spread their crap. They have the MSM to do it for them. Now you tell me that my words are propaganda so I can answer Pelosi.

Old 07-17-2012, 04:18 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,279,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Liberals don't need the internet to spread their crap. They have the MSM to do it for them. Now you tell me that my words are propaganda so I can answer Pelosi.
They also have the Unions they gave jobs and power to in return pumping billions back into the Democrat party.

Old 07-17-2012, 04:24 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,666,916 times
Quote:
I've never gotten a left equivalent.

So you're sending them. That's what I thought.

.....And using Snopes as your truth Bible?

That's what I thought.

Why do I suspect you get them by the boatload but don't realize it, even when you see it?

Old 07-17-2012, 04:27 PM

3,436 posts, read 2,948,521 times
Quote:

I got into an argument with one of my conservative friends over this once. I kept ignoring the emails until I got one that was totally nutty, ridiculous and had no basis in fact whatsoever. I told her how I felt about it. I told her that I did not believe all that foolishness from those wing nut websites, we went back and forth for a while, then left it alone and she never sent me anything like that again. We do not discuss politics anymore. She voted for Obama in 08. It was her first time voting for a Democrat and probably her last. One day she told me that she couldn't understand how anyone could be a Democrat (this was before she voted for Obama) and I told her that I didn't understand how anyone could be a Republican - the thing is, she is a single issue voter who doesn't read the paper or watch the news. She just forwards ridiculous emails and reads stuff on blogs that her parents forward to her. I am glad she does not send me that garbage anymore.

Old 07-17-2012, 04:28 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,336,397 times
Quote:
When I get a BS email, and, yes, they are always from a right winger, I find multiple links that prove the email wrong and insert them into a 'reply to all' email, along with an admonition that there should be a find for throwing trash on the information super highway. I only have a few truly conservative friends and we respect each others political differences by not discussing politics via the Internet.

Last edited by ray1945; 07-17-2012 at 04:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies