Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 05:20 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,334,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Again..............you're failing to realize that YOU and YOU alone are giving out your email addy.

I never, ever get those kinds of emails from anyone, left or right.

And I can promise you that just because you think what you're sending is fact and validated doesn't mean it really is.
And I can promise you that you don't know a damn thing about me or my ability to fact check.

You're right about the email address - fortunately, all my email buddies have learned to bcc their sendees, so I rarely get the opportunity anymore to 'reply all' on BS emails. My 'addy' is safe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2012, 05:32 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,520,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
One of the funniest things I have seen all day is you saying that too many people don't WANT to know the truth. That is saying that those who may be telling the truth don't agree with you so they aren't telling truth. Only your kind knows and talks about the truth even when some of those things you don't like can be proven true no matter what Snopes or TruthorFiction says. Surely you do know that when Snopes says maybe they are admitting that they can't say untrue.

Come on you aren't the only one who knows the real truth, I think.
I didn't say I am the only one who knows the truth. And, I've verified Snopes and truthorfiction myself several times and have never caught them being untrue or telling a lie. Never.

Old 07-17-2012, 05:33 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,520,451 times
Quote:
So you're sending them. That's what I thought.

.....And using Snopes as your truth Bible?

That's what I thought.

Why do I suspect you get them by the boatload but don't realize it, even when you see it?

I send them BACK to where they came from. I do NOT forward them.

Do you?

And, by the way, what source to YOU use to verify their accuracy?

Old 07-17-2012, 05:38 PM

490 posts, read 650,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Thanks for the feedback, my experience is similar, and I never get any liberal versions either (except for maybe the occasional Dem request for donations)! Have also tried to gently point out the ones that are obvious lies via snopes, etc., but like you say, it's as though they dont wanna know. Have already had to quit 2 local social organizations 'cuz the group email list quickly degenerated into this kinda stuff, with some of it getting racial and pretty vile, and yet if you object, they still seem to feel entitled to doing it!

So am noticing it now even among conservative friends, otherwise nice folks who I naturally don't want to antagonize, but at the same time I'm getting tired of hearing all the unsolicited propaganda about illegals, muslims, Obama, etc., especially when a lot of it's so obviously completely false. The whole thing's such a weird phenomenon that seems to be a unique product of the Web... yet these folks seem possessed by it!
Welcome to my world. I have lost a handful of friends like his. There are some really odd people out there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Old 07-17-2012, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easybreezy View Post
If it's email, there is a handy device on all computers that solves the problem called the Delete button. I've done the snopes.com on occasion.

It's been more of a problem on Facebook. I do not allow political fighting on my Facebook page. Civil discussion yes. Fighting,absolute lies, name calling no. It's my Facebook page, and I get to set its rules. You can set your own Facebook rules on your page. You do not have freedom of speech on my page anymore than I have it on yours.
I've done the same on FB. Good thoughts.

Old 07-17-2012, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Wow, so many here with either selective memory or bad memory. Not one of you remember the various GW Bush, Dick Cheney, and Karl Rove jokes and conspiracy theory emails that started just before the 2000 election and went on for his entire 8 years in office and still pops up every once in a while? Amazing. I see statements here that virtually parrot some of those emails.
You may be right but I can promise you those did not contain the truly personal attacks I see about the POTUS and sadly his family.

Old 07-17-2012, 05:41 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,657,367 times
I'd reply and tell the person to remove me from their junk mail list.

Or if you want to engage in a discussion with them, ask them why they believe what they believe, and then respond calmly.

Old 07-17-2012, 05:58 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,285,776 times
I have a few family members who send me very racist emails about Obama from time to time. Sometimes I delete them right away, sometimes I ridicule the person who sent them to me, and sometimes I tell them to stop sending me the racist crap. Really depends on my mood.

I rarely get left wing emails, especially from friends or family. I was receiving stuff from Moveon, and I have since removed my name form their list and forward the emails to my junk folder.

Old 07-17-2012, 06:32 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,450,688 times
Quote:
So you're sending them. That's what I thought.

.....And using Snopes as your truth Bible?

That's what I thought.

Why do I suspect you get them by the boatload but don't realize it, even when you see it?
That's the other thing, that any sort of attempt at "fact checking" actually seems to annoy 'em, to the point that even Snopes is frequently under attack now by the 'wingers, even though their charges have been discredited by the Annenberg Foundation's FactCheck (BTW, the same source that wingers often quote to defend Romney re: the Bain charges)!

Old 07-17-2012, 06:48 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,512,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cecilsav View Post
You may be right but I can promise you those did not contain the truly personal attacks I see about the POTUS and sadly his family.

Guess you don't remember the ones calling his wife a murder for a drunk driving accident that killed someone back in her youth nor all the extremely personal attacks against the Bush twins.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies