Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 12:20 PM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyjohnny38 View Post
Sounds like you were living beyond your means.
I wasn't 16 trillion in debt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2012, 12:23 PM

6,897 posts, read 4,749,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
One must wonder if you hold corporations to the same standards, as well.

Review & Outlook: The Corporate Welfare State - WSJ.com
Well, at least corps give back and provide jobs, what does the average welfare collecting ghetto dweller give back.

Old 07-17-2012, 12:26 PM

1,767 posts, read 2,347,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post

Well, at least corps give back and provide jobs, what does the average welfare collecting ghetto dweller give back.

Provide police jobs ?

Old 07-17-2012, 12:31 PM

11,758 posts, read 14,644,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
I agree. I actually stunned a few black female co workers when I explained to them that I would never take food stamps or medicaid if I didn't have to, and if things got that bad, I would cut down on as many luxuries as I could to try to make it work. What was their response? They had that "take what you can get" mentality, even if they had enough.

Like you said, where is the pride?
1. How is the sex of these coworkers relevant to your point?

2. How is the race of these coworkers relevant to your point?

3. How about telling us what they actually said and letting us figure out if they had "that `take what you can get' mentality, even though they had enough"?

Old 07-17-2012, 12:32 PM

33,548 posts, read 18,143,148 times
There is no shame today.. they are bold some of the takers.. they get in line for any freebee and some don't even have a need.

Of course I have seen shame from some who got into circumstances that they couldn't help.. those who really need the help and are not the kind to be a taker are the ones who sheepishly have to humble themselves to get assistance.

Today many of the takers are bold and think they deserve everything from the government.. and Obama makes the takers who are brazen even more so.

Old 07-17-2012, 12:32 PM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,916,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
How many times does it have to be said that Medicare is NOT FREE, for Pete's sake.

Wait 'til you need it. You'll be paying a monthly premium. Just like everybody else.
LOL, most people pay their tiny Medicare premiums by having it deducted from their Social Security payments. So they are basically just giving the government back some of their money making the total net amount of their welfare benefits slightly smaller.

When you add up all of the government assistance that old people receive, none of them are coming out of pocket to pay their Medicare premiums.

Old 07-17-2012, 12:35 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,232,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyjohnny38 View Post
Sounds like you were living beyond your means.
With that attitude let's just hope that you are young and dumb. Otherwise you should be pitied.

Old 07-17-2012, 12:36 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,814,566 times
Have you ever lost your job and got unemployment? That is government assistance as well.

Also it is too bad that people want to play the race card here and try to make it seem like black women are the ones on welfare not caring that they are using assistance.

I'm a black woman and am not on welfare, foodstamps, WIC, none of that. But I also am not crazy enough to say that I would be ashamed if I happened to fall on hard times and had to use one of our social safety nets. I have also worked since I was a teenager (14) as has the majority of my black family so we have paid into the social safety net system as well. Don't see why you would think that someone working, yet getting foodstamps is not the same as someone who paid into medicare/medicaid or SS and who is now receving benefits. If anything, those on welfare are less of an expense than the others and contrary to what people on medicaid/medicare or SS think (those who want to complain about people on government assistance), you are not and did not pay for all the services you are using. You are just on a different form of welfare.

Old 07-17-2012, 12:38 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,814,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
Really? High and mighty? Nothing wrong with having a little pride, to many ghetto dwellers have been collecting for generations and think it is a way of life, rather than a bridge to a better life.
You do know there is a such thing as welfare reform right? No one is living generation after generation collecting benefits anymore. And why the need to speak of "ghetto dwellers." Who are these ghetto dwellers - black people! Why not mention trailer park dwellers?

I guess this is just another black thread in disguise huh.

Old 07-17-2012, 12:38 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,232,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by king's highway View Post
Provide police jobs ?

Very often many children. Most of them very intelligent hoping to get a great education and lift them out of poverty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies