Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2012, 04:26 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,397,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Oh - I see - you think that homosexuality is an inborn trait.

Where is the "gay gene"?

There goes your credibilty.

Where's the "straight gene?"

Sexuality may or may not be inborn. It may be a combination of factors. It may be due to prenatal testosterone exposure.... it may be genetic.... but orientation is NOT A CHOICE. The overwhelming majority of straight AND gay people will tell you they do not consciously choose to like one sex over the other.

Why this is such a hard concept for so many of you geniuses to grasp, I will never know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2012, 06:02 PM

6,391 posts, read 5,166,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Where's the "straight gene?"

Sexuality may or may not be inborn. It may be a combination of factors. It may be due to prenatal testosterone exposure.... it may be genetic.... but orientation is NOT A CHOICE. The overwhelming majority of straight AND gay people will tell you they do not consciously choose to like one sex over the other.

Why this is such a hard concept for so many of you geniuses to grasp, I will never know.
Whether there is a straight or gay gene, really has no bearing here.

The Boy scouts made a decision, you and disagree, or agree with it, it matters not. They are a private organization, and as such, can legally make the decision they made, though we may believe it was a bad one.

Old 07-19-2012, 06:32 PM

11,759 posts, read 14,650,345 times
I don't think I've seen anyone on this thread claim they cannot legally make the decision they made. Can you point to one person who did?

What I have consistently said is that the decision is wrong, it is the product and evidence of bigotry, and that they should change it. Others have pointed out that such a blatantly discriminatory organization is not entitled to public support and subsidies.

Nobody said what they are doing is illegal.

Old 07-19-2012, 07:39 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,348,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
\
What I have consistently said is that the decision is wrong,
And that is your opinion which you are free to express, My opinion is that it is the right decision and I applaud the BSA for upholding it.

Old 07-19-2012, 07:52 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,097,853 times
When I have a son, he will be a boy scout.

More and more people/organizations are refusing to cower to the liberal media and their attempts to transform our culture.

Old 07-20-2012, 01:36 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,003,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I hate beets. They make me gag. I didn't choose to hate beets, I was born that way. Does there need to be a "beet hating gene"?
Human Genome Project Information

Human Genome Project - it is completed - and no "gay gene" has been discovered.

Homosexuality is a choice. People miight be preconditioned to it because of their upbringing - but it still remains an immoral and deviant behavior that is chosen.

Old 07-20-2012, 04:28 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,062,561 times
Quote:
Human Genome Project Information

Human Genome Project - it is completed - and no "gay gene" has been discovered.

Homosexuality is a choice. People miight be preconditioned to it because of their upbringing - but it still remains an immoral and deviant behavior that is chosen.
Your ability to side step arguments you don't like is astounding.

Old 07-20-2012, 04:54 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,381,370 times
Quote:
That is always your answer. Your problem is that you never question the research - to you as long as it is published in a peer reviewed academic journal, then it must be right - so you just lap every word up.

That is not critical thinking. It is blindly accepting what other people write - some of whom have agendas.
No. Your problem is you have never READ ANY peer-reviewed research at all on this topic so you don't even know how much you don't know. What does mindlessly dissing something you haven't even investigated yourself and can't dicuss critically say about you?

Of course I question the research. However, when a broad literature review shows that 99% of ALL the research finds pretty much similar results and NOT something else, and the methodology is varied and robust, what do you think that indicates? You don't even know what 'peer-review' even means.

If you had read even a tiny bit about this topic, you would be able to tell us about Groth's work and the groups of people he worked with and why the FBI bases their Profiling of sex offdenders on his work. You would be ableto talk about the screening tests that Dr Gene Abel uses and what he has found over 30 years of working with thousands of child molestors. You would be able to talk about the pros and cons of phallometric and psychometric testing. You would know who Kurt Freund is and how he first started in this field and what his research led to. You would know about Blanchard's most recent study what methods he used. (BTW NONE of these well respected, leading reseachers in this field are 'gay' with some 'gay agenda' as you seem to be implying)

So can you discuss these researchers and their work? Can you discuss and compare the methodology of any of the hundreds of studies? Can you find any research at all that supports your personal opinions?

Last edited by Ceist; 07-20-2012 at 05:24 AM..

Old 07-20-2012, 05:04 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,909,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
It is morally wrong to deny a person from a social and service organization based on their sexuality. It is morally wrong to enforce homophobic beliefs in an organization that at one time was well respected.

I'm glad my parents pulled my brother out when they did. He is straight, but who knows how he would have turned out in that kind of environment. Not the morally upstanding 23 year old that he is today, certainly.

No it isn't....please provide a basis for your argument..

Old 07-20-2012, 05:09 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,381,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Maybe you don't quote understand what "peer reviewed" means......
Of course he doesn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies