Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 09:08 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,418,524 times

Advertisements

Yesterday a posted a link to series of color pics from the Cilvil Rights era by Gordon Parks. The pics showed dignified, uplifting African Americans going about their daily lives under the harsh Jim Crow regime.

Fast forward today and Gordon Parks would be hard pressed to replicate his pictures. Latest from Flash mob nation:
Flash mob causes havoc at Walmart | News - Home
Quote:
Flash mobs are known across the United States as a group of people dancing, having fun and enjoying themselves while entertaining others.
However, the Walmart off Lem Turner Road in Jacksonville fell victim to a flash robbery when more than 300 people entered the store and destroyed the security system as well as some merchandise.
According to a police report, the group destroyed an electronic anti-shop lifting security scanner that costs about $1,500. The police report also stated the massive crowd could have arrived at the store after a party that was broken up on Sampson Road.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94INAruvOrA

I wonder what can be done to get African American youths on the right path and cease these self-destructive behaviors? More programs? I mean at this juncture I don't know what can be done except concentrating efforts on those who truly want the help and let the others fall by the wayside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2012, 09:18 AM

4,112 posts, read 4,474,745 times
Thank you for your post.

Old 07-17-2012, 09:27 AM

2,313 posts, read 2,506,818 times
Quote:
I wonder what can be done to get African American youths on the right path and cease these self-destructive behaviors? More programs? I mean at this juncture I don't know what can be done except concentrating efforts on those who truly want the help and let the others fall by the wayside.
I think more programs or teen centers are needed. When i was younger i had plenty of activities to get into while my mom was at work. I went to summer camps, sports camps, summer jobs & when August came around then i started football. These teens are simply bored, and when you get bored then you get into trouble. A lot of cities cut a lot of programs and now these teens have run amok. The summer jobs are gone as well, these cities need to create programs for teens

Old 07-17-2012, 09:28 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,762,566 times
Edward,
Seems to me that judging by your posts, you're truly disturbed and concerned about black American youth. Good for you. And I don't mean that sarcastically.

Sounds like you really want to see changes to the way people see these kids, but due to their actions.

Personally, I don't have a magic solution, but can tell you what I've seen.

Not all, no matter what race, can see that consequences to wrongdoing are worse than working hard to achieve. That said, some of these individuals have to make mistakes and then be removed from their familiarity and learn a different way of life. The biggest problem I see is that they go right back to the place they came from with the same practices just a different day.

Another thing that can be done is on the consequence side, make it so those that pay the consequences for their actions think the consequences are worse than the benefits. In other words, getting in trouble with the law should be punitive and not something that's "not so bad".

Instead of group home programs for these youth, how about host families? Just one offender with a good hard working successful family?

Just my opinion, but wanted to commend you for your genuine concern.

Have a great day.

Old 07-17-2012, 09:29 AM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
I wonder if this WM carries guns and shovels?

Old 07-17-2012, 09:29 AM

4,991 posts, read 4,505,203 times
How about you do something to help the black youth that you are obviously obsessed with?

Old 07-17-2012, 09:31 AM

5,787 posts, read 4,715,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post

Perhaps if over 70% of Black kids actually had Fathers it would help?

Old 07-17-2012, 09:32 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
I saw this on Drudge and read the article and saw the news video. I thought of posting this as this happened in FL rather than in some northern inner city. But I figured I'd be called a racist so I didn't.

The JAX news video though seemed to play it down and rather than portray this as a crime they went for "upsetting other customer" and that no one got hurt.

But really..300 kids got kicked out of a party and went to Wallymart ? Who the heck invites 300 teenagers to a party ?

Old 07-17-2012, 09:33 AM

13,621 posts, read 12,731,507 times
florida, zombie state

Old 07-17-2012, 09:37 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,530,849 times
Good thing Walmart no longer sells guns. The store employees would not have had time to open the locks and load the guns to use for self defense fast enough and then this mob would have been armed. Though Walmart does have security employees, even if they had a hand gun, they wouldn't have had enough bullets. With this amount of looters (stop calling them flash mobs), the best thing for employees and customers to do is get out of the way and let the stampeding animals run their course. Local police should start doing facebook searches because you just know these idiots tweeted or posted on facebook the fun they had robbing and destroying their local Walmart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies