Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 09:00 PM

3,204 posts, read 2,855,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Ok...so they were several months and $20,000 behind on their mortgage, walked away and left the house unoccupied for 10 or 11 months and are surprised it isn't just sitting there waiting on them?

Gimme a break.

I can't believe you think it is acceptable for someone to break into an unoccupied house and take over.

There are numerous snowbirds in this country that live in a warmer climate in the winter. So you are saying that it is acceptable for someone else to move in in their absense? How about a house that a landlord is trying to rent out? If someone just moves in one day is the landlord just SOL?

This kind of crap happens in Mexico. Is that what we've become?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2012, 09:02 PM

11,573 posts, read 13,886,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isitmeorarethingsnuts? View Post
I can't believe you think it is acceptable for someone to break into an unoccupied house and take over.
But he's the Right Wing Thread Killer, Yo.

Old 07-17-2012, 09:05 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,002,123 times
Wrong. You do not give up your rights to a property for not making a mortgage payment until the bank/finance company files a foreclosure notice with a court and a judge rules in favor of the bank AND you are served with eviction notice by someone from the county Sheriff Department. Until this occurs, they can come and go as they please for any amount of time and no matter how much they are behind in payments.

Last edited by d4g4m; 07-17-2012 at 09:21 PM..

Old 07-17-2012, 09:11 PM

833 posts, read 1,707,006 times
A few years back a landowner near San Diego got caught in a " catch 22"

He discovered illegals were setting up tents and living on his land . He called the Sheriff, but the sheriff said he has more important things to do than evict trespassers/squaters on bare land.

The land owner then got a notice from the county that he must provide some system of sewage service since he had people living on his land.

Aren't property laws great when law enforcement can pick and choose which ones they want to enforce ?..SARC

Old 07-17-2012, 09:12 PM

2,548 posts, read 2,155,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
I think some may think differently of the situation if they went on a vacation or had to leave the state to take care od a sick relative and when they came home, found strangers living in their home.
And to get technical, the squatters didn't only commit 'trespassing', they can be charged with 'Burglary'. By paying the utilites, the squatters also commited fraud and identity theft.
The law says otherwise. We are a nation of laws and they must be followed.

Old 07-17-2012, 09:14 PM

3,204 posts, read 2,855,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
But he's the Right Wing Thread Killer, Yo.

Now that is funny!!!!

But hey, at least it's a goal in life, right? Lets not try to debate issues and try to find solutions to problems. Let's just silence anyone we don't agree with.

Old 07-17-2012, 09:21 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,448,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isitmeorarethingsnuts? View Post

There are numerous snowbirds in this country that live in a warmer climate in the winter. So you are saying that it is acceptable for someone else to move in in their absense? How about a house that a landlord is trying to rent out? If someone just moves in one day is the landlord just SOL?

This kind of crap happens in Mexico. Is that what we've become?
I'm not defending the squatters, though I do recognize that the law make allowances for similar things in most states.

What I AM saying is that the offended couple cannot reasonably assume that property will just sit there forever without them making any mortgage payments. Neither could you. Neither could I. Property rights are not absolute, they do not last forever and particularly when a un-paid mortgage is involved. If that were so, none of us would ever have to make a mortgage payment again. The property would be "ours" whether we bothered to pay for it or not.

Old 07-17-2012, 09:25 PM

79,900 posts, read 43,866,989 times
Quote:
I'm not defending the squatters, though I do recognize that the law make allowances for similar things in most states.
Nothing in the article states that any state would allow for those who just moved in to take over. It notes that any law requires at the minimum, years.

Quote:
What I AM saying is that the offended couple cannot reasonably assume that property will just sit there forever without them making any mortgage payments. Neither could you. Neither could I. Property rights are not absolute, they do not last forever and particularly when a un-paid mortgage is involved. If that were so, none of us would ever have to make a mortgage payment again. The property would be "ours" whether we bothered to pay for it or not.
Of course they can not expect nothing to happen. The mortgage holder most certainly could forclose on the home and legally kick everyone out. What goes on between the original homeowner and the mortgage company is irrelevant to the squatters.

Personally, if someone broke into my house I would take a baseball bat to them. This is indeed legal in all states.

Old 07-17-2012, 09:32 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,161,419 times
Couple should have tried their best (and I'm sure they probably didn't intend to fall that far behind) to keep up with their mortgage payments. However, the house wasn't foreclosed, they were not evicted, and so the house is theirs. What the squatters did wasn't right, either- if it were me I'd have to resist the urge to get a few buddies and evict them myself by placing all their belongings on the lawn and moving my stuff back in.

Old 07-17-2012, 09:54 PM

29,409 posts, read 21,911,094 times
Quote:

It won't. It will get foreclosed on by the lender. What right do these squatters have to be there? NONE. Your defense of them is pathetic and attacking people who actually did something and moved to try and find work instead of going on the gubmnt gravy train is even worse. Apparently the lender hadn't foreclosed so they didn't have a problem with it up to this point but you somehow do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies