Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 07:31 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,418,524 times

Advertisements

In Obama's world view a dependent population equals Democrat voters.

Americans Joining Disability Now Outpacing Americans Finding Jobs | The Weekly Standard
Quote:
As the chart shows, between April-June 2012, an estimated 246,000 Americans were added to Social Security's disability insurance program. In that same time period, only 225,000 American jobs were created.
These alarming numbers, though, are part of a wider trend, as another chart, also set to be released later today, from the Republican side of the Senate Budget Committee shows:

As this chart shows, since 2008, 3.6. million Americans have been added to Social Security's disability insurance program. In that same time period, a net total of 1.3 million jobs were lost.
"Amazingly, while fewer Americans are working than at the end of 2008, 3.6 million Americans have been awarded SSDI benefits over the same period. The growing number of people on disability and other federal benefits, combined with weak economic growth, raises serious concerns about the sustainability of the American economy," Senator Jeff Sessions, ranking member of the Senate Budget Committee, says in a statement in response to these new numbers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2012, 07:32 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,447,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
In Obama's world view a dependent population equals Democrat voters.

Americans Joining Disability Now Outpacing Americans Finding Jobs | The Weekly Standard
Sure because many people lie about having a disability. Because once they are on SSi it is golden for them and they don't have to work ever again

Old 07-18-2012, 07:39 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
It used to be hard to qualify for disability. I guess they relaxed those rules as well.

Old 07-18-2012, 08:11 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,555,443 times
The government is now making it easier to qualify for disability.

Remember, when one does qualify that individual is taken off the unemployment numbers, allowing Obama to claim a decrease. Even though there is no increase in employment, or increase in productivity.

Old 07-18-2012, 08:36 AM

52,698 posts, read 34,555,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post

Remember, when one does qualify that individual is taken off the unemployment numbers, allowing Obama to claim a decrease. Even though there is no increase in employment, or increase in productivity.
good point.

and that makes a net decrease in productivity, since you add yet another dependent who has to be supported through our tax dollars.

Old 07-18-2012, 09:23 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times
It sounds to me that the citizens who are newly inducted into th SSDI program have either 1) been working despite their disability over the years, or 2) the government has relaxed program entry requirements.

I personally believe that a large (if not majority) subset of the disability population are actually able to work. I personally believe that most are defrauding the system. It's a sad commentary on America and Democrats when the populace finds it tenable to give up working, whether it be a lack of jobs or pure laziness and criminality, instead of holding their heads high and doing whatever it takes to make ends meet.

The increase in the number of "disabled workers" over the past few years screams FRAUD, WASTE, and ABUSE from my perspective. And our government, particularly Democrats, wouldn't have it any other way.

Old 07-18-2012, 09:28 AM

8,630 posts, read 9,137,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post

Explain how it is now easy to qualify opposed to what the requirements were before? Also, are you referring to SSDI or SSI?

Old 07-18-2012, 09:40 AM

8,630 posts, read 9,137,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
It sounds to me that the citizens who are newly inducted into th SSDI program have either 1) been working despite their disability over the years, or 2) the government has relaxed program entry requirements.

I personally believe that a large (if not majority) subset of the disability population are actually able to work. I personally believe that most are defrauding the system. It's a sad commentary on America and Democrats when the populace finds it tenable to give up working, whether it be a lack of jobs or pure laziness and criminality, instead of holding their heads high and doing whatever it takes to make ends meet.

The increase in the number of "disabled workers" over the past few years screams FRAUD, WASTE, and ABUSE from my perspective. And our government, particularly Democrats, wouldn't have it any other way.
Having gone through hell dealing with SSDI I can only tell you what my experiences were. Extremely difficult to acquire SSDI for my wife who worked for 30 years and is now crippled and is and never will be able to work again. How do I know this? No employer will hire her ever because she is---------sick and crippled from her disease 24-7. It took nearly 3 years for her to acquire that benefit that she paid for-for 30 years while we almost went bankrupt because of medical costs. 90% are rejected the first go round, most are rejected at least twice. Depending on the state, most have to wait at least a year for another hearing. Most need a lawyer. In my wife's case it was a lawyer and our Congressman. Absolutely no fraud involved.

Old 07-18-2012, 01:29 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times
Large numbers of war vets with ptsd are also applying, a legacy of our wars which will keep haunting us for a long long time. Many have been diagnosed with traumatic brain injury from the brain being shaken from bombings. This would be in that number as well.

Our wars will keep on sucking for a long long time, but unlike those of WW2 who were silent and Vietnam, who were lost, at least they are getting their due this time around.

Old 07-18-2012, 04:11 PM

640 posts, read 1,214,783 times
You complain about people who "might" be defrauding the system but you don't care about disabled people who get discriminated in the workforce. Maybe if the job hunting process in this country wasn't such a piece of garbage you'd see disabled people working instead of having no choice but to rely on the government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies