Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 09:30 AM

1,637 posts, read 1,880,990 times

Advertisements

for others. Why bother to use a turn signal? Even though it is considerate and helps other drivers anticipate "what do I gain personally from using a turn signal"? I especially like those on the road that you wait for, then they decide to zing in front of you without utilizing turn signal. Why even bother to make turn signals on cars anymore, many are to self absorbed to use them anyway!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2012, 09:38 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
If you are hit because you failed to signal you are responsible for the accident. They gain being hit less often which reduces their insurance costs.

Old 07-18-2012, 09:47 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,645,078 times
That is one of my biggest pet peeves, and about the only thing for which I'll flip someone off.

Old 07-18-2012, 09:49 AM

15,859 posts, read 21,436,084 times
It's one of my biggest peeves. I live in a very old area of the country with narrow roads and aggressive drivers. There often aren't turn lanes even at major intersections. If people simply used a turn signal, it would really help the flow of traffic. There are few things I hate more than a car acting as if it was going straight through an intersection, then stopping in the middle and turning on their blinker. That effectively traps the car behind it as cars further behind can go around.

It's also very dangerous for cyclists. I have seen so many near misses and a few accidents where a person didn't use their blinker, clearly didn't look into their right mirror, and almost hit a cyclist while turning.

Old 07-18-2012, 09:51 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,119,311 times
I'm a huge proponent of respect and personal responsibility. I agree with the OPs contention that those who are oblivious to their own actions and how those actions affect others are indeed self-absorbed and in need of a major reality check. Being a Type A personality and a penchant for conformity, I have no reservations with calling others out.

If I see someone being a dumbass, more times than not I will say something. In fact, just this week I confronted a guy who double parked his car in the Metro parking garage. To say that he was surprised that someone called his ass out is an understatement. In his moment of shock, he went back and parked his car correctly.

Old 07-18-2012, 11:39 AM

78,385 posts, read 60,566,039 times
I hate it when you are facing another car at an intersection without turn lanes and they are sitting there with no turn signal on but are 99% likely to be turning there.

Since we are both turning opposition directions we could each pull out but the rude driver with no turn signal freezes you in place because you can't turn across thier path.

So, in general anymore if someone does this I either....

a) Turn my turn-signal off so now they are confused as to what I'm going to do and realize oh yeah, maybe I should use my turn signal. I've had success with this and respond by turning my turn signal back on.

b) Keep my turn-signal on but pull out in such a manner that it looks like I'm going to go straight after all. Generally the passenger screaming at the driver because they think I'm going to hit them should impart the point that not using a turn signal is as useful as using a turn signal but then going straight. (I do this very very rarely but it's funny)

Old 07-18-2012, 11:41 AM

4,866 posts, read 5,677,571 times
Turn signals seem to be optional in New England. Luckily i've never been hit by another car.

Old 07-18-2012, 11:46 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,083,266 times
By that reasoning, are the people that constantly leave their turn signal on proxy for selfullness and have loads of self-awareness?!

Old 07-18-2012, 11:48 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,146,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyjohnny38 View Post
for others. Why bother to use a turn signal? Even though it is considerate and helps other drivers anticipate "what do I gain personally from using a turn signal"? I especially like those on the road that you wait for, then they decide to zing in front of you without utilizing turn signal. Why even bother to make turn signals on cars anymore, many are to self absorbed to use them anyway!
THE most stupid people are the total jerks who step on the brakes, slow way down for their turn and THEN these doorknobs turn on their signal....they are totally unaware that it is a warning signal NOT AN ANNOUNCEMENT SIGNAL!!!

"Oh, look! I really did turn!"""

Old 07-18-2012, 11:52 AM

5,524 posts, read 9,937,765 times
People who don't use their turn signal when warranted should be drug out of their vehicle and beaten for all to see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies