Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 09:53 AM

38 posts, read 91,208 times

Advertisements

As I am typing this post, I am well aware that I will probably get blasted for what I am going to say. I don't care. The following thoughts result from years of frustration over the deterioration that I have observed within the "Black community." As a black man, I don't consider myself overly preoccupied with racial matters - however, I am as are most Americans, race conscious to some extent or another. So, please allow me to explain the reason for my rant today...

Earlier this week I was listening to a segment on NPR covering the topic of whether recent legislation passed or proposed in several states amounted to a concerted effort designed to disenfranchise black voters. Specifically, the opponents pointed to laws that placed voting restrictions on convicted felons as well as laws requiring photo identification when casting a ballot, claiming that such laws unfairly target black voters. The rationale is steeped in the unfortunate reality that an alarming proportion of the black population consists of felons and the contention that some blacks are simply too poor to afford a valid picture ID.

Let's assume for the purpose of this discussion that the aforementioned laws are in fact racially motivated. My response is...so what if they are? Liberals and black race-baiters (we know who they are) would rather direct their anger and frustration at these so-called racist laws in lieu of addressing the underlying issues that cause these laws to adversely impact the black community in a disproportionate manner.
The message should not be "change these laws because felons are more often black." Rather, the message should be to black people "stop commiting felonies!" If you betray the trust of your community and cannot respect the laws/standards put in place by your government, then you relinquish your right to influence the law and government by voting. Seems reasonable to me. Please spare me the excuses as to why the hoodlum decided to rob the liquor store, break in someone's home, steal the car, assault someone, or sell poisonous drugs to children in his community. Yes, there are institutional mechanisms in place that make life a bit more challenging in urban communities. But the cold fact is that it doesn't excuse violent and other criminal behavior. It is past time that the black community stop making excuses for its plight and be accountable. From my perspective, the black community is its own worst enemy and has caused itself much more harm than any laws or institutional mechanism

As for the picture ID requirement, the opponents claims that this amounts to a poll tax because picture IDs cost money (typically a nominal fee). If it is a tax, then it's a tax that all people in that state would have to pay...not just blacks. C'mon people, we need valid identification to cash a check, to board a plane, to gain entrance into a government building, to drive a car, to take ACT/SAT exam, etc. Is it really asking too much to require voters to verify their identity by presenting valid photo identification? Again, some say that some people are very poor and cannot afford to obtain a photo identification - and these individuals should not be excluded from exercising their American right to vote. I call BS on this. Yes, there may be tiny percentage of the black population that cannot scrounge up between $10 and $25 to pay for a state ID. But I see these "poor" people everyday when I'm fueling up at the gas station. They seem to have enough money to buy cigarettes and lottery scratch-off tickets on a daily basis. I'm betting that 98% of them can sacrifice the money necessary to purchase a state ID.
Now, in fairness, there are a number of elderly persons or disabled persons on fixed incomes (social security, SSI) who have to choose between buying groceries and paying for medication. These individuals (whether black, white, or otherwise) probably cannot afford to purchase an ID. But the irony is that in order to draw a fixed income from Social Security or obtain subsidy housing, they had to provide valid identification at some point.

I could rant on 50 other issues that burn me, but I won't today. Suffice it to say that I'm tired of the way the black community has embraced or made excuses for its mediocrity. And now, many want lawmakers to accommodate this mediocrity as well. Damn shame...smh

Last edited by griffin96; 07-18-2012 at 10:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2012, 09:59 AM

4,520 posts, read 4,207,602 times
I'm black and I agree with some of your points. I'm not sure how far your message will go when we are a minority on this board.

I will say that I have a slight problem with felons not being allowed to vote. Especially when one takes into account the unfair system of arrest/conviction against black people. If two people are caught with drugs and one is given a 1 year sentence while the other is ordered to attend rehab and perform community service, why is only one criminal denied the right to vote? Again, until the inequality in the justice system is fixed, this will continue to be an issue.

I do agree with you, though. Don't complain about how you're down and out because you're a criminal; don't be a d*mn criminal! This applies to all races.

Old 07-18-2012, 10:05 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,657,742 times
FYI, the restrictive voting laws being put into place by individual states generally targets democratic voters, rather than just blacks as you proclaim. Seniors in these states are much more impacted than blacks.

Old 07-18-2012, 10:05 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,113,952 times
Quote:
The message should not be "change these laws because felons are more often black." Rather, the message should be to black people "stop commiting felonies!"
You speak a logic that most liberals don't comprehend, and a logic that most black people would try to turn around and use against you in an attempt to paint you as an "Uncle Tom."

I have great respect for your forthrightness. Not many black people on this forum are willing to acknowledge what you've put forth. They'd rather stay in the Victimization Corner and Blame Whitey.

Old 07-18-2012, 10:07 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,113,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
FYI, the restrictive voting laws being put into place by individual states generally targets democratic voters, rather than just blacks as you proclaim. Seniors in these states are much more impacted than blacks.
30 states have voter ID laws. Are you suggesting that there are only 20 blue states?

Old 07-18-2012, 10:13 AM

3,417 posts, read 3,071,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffin96 View Post
As I am typing this post, I am well aware that I will probably get blasted for what I am going to say. I don't care. The following thoughts result from years of frustration over the deterioration that I have observed within the "Black community." As a black man, I don't consider myself overly preoccupied with racial matters - however, I am as are most Americans, race conscious to some extent or another. So, please allow me to explain the reason for my rant today...

Earlier this week I was listening to a segment on NPR covering the topic of whether recent legislation passed or proposed in several states amounted to a concerted effort designed to disenfranchise black voters. Specifically, the opponents pointed to laws that placed voting restrictions on convicted felons as well as laws requiring photo identification when casting a ballot, claiming that such laws unfairly target black voters. The rationale is steeped in the unfortunate reality that an alarming proportion of the black population consists of felons and the contention that some blacks are simply too poor to afford a valid picture ID.

Let's assume for the purpose of this discussion that the aforementioned laws are in fact racially motivated. My response is...so what if they are? Liberals and black race-baiters (we know who they are) would rather direct their anger and frustration at these so-called racist laws in lieu of addressing the underlying issues that cause these laws to adversely impact the black community in a disproportionate manner.
The message should not be "change these laws because felons are more often black." Rather, the message should be to black people "stop commiting felonies!" If you betray the trust of your community and cannot respect the laws/standards put in place by your government, then you relinquish your right to influence the law and government by voting. Seems reasonable to me. Please spare me the excuses as to why the hoodlum decided to rob the liquor store, break in someone's home, steal the car, assault someone, or sell poisonous drugs to children in his community. Yes, there are institutional mechanisms in place that make life a bit more challenging in urban communities. But the cold fact is that it doesn't excuse violent and other criminal behavior. It is past time that the black community stop making excuses for its plight and be accountable. From my perspective, the black community is its own worst enemy and has caused itself much more harm than any laws or institutional mechanism

As for the picture ID requirement, the opponents claims that this amounts to a poll tax because picture IDs cost money (typically a nominal fee). If it is a tax, then it's a tax that all people in that state would have to pay...not just blacks. C'mon people, we need valid identification to cash a check, to board a plane, to gain entrance into a government building, to drive a car, to take ACT/SAT exam, etc. Is it really asking too much to require voters to verify their identity by presenting valid photo identification? Again, some say that some people are very poor and cannot afford to obtain a photo identification - and these individuals should not be excluded from exercising their American right to vote. I call BS on this. Yes, there may be tiny percentage of the black population that cannot scrounge up between $10 and $25 to pay for a state ID. But I see these "poor" people everyday when I'm fueling up at the gas station. They seem to have enough money to buy cigarettes and lottery scratch-off tickets on a daily basis. I'm betting that 98% of them can sacrifice the money necessary to purchase a state ID.
Now, in fairness, there are a number of elderly persons or disabled persons on fixed incomes (social security, SSI) who have to choose between buying groceries and paying for medication. These individuals (whether black, white, or otherwise) probably cannot afford to purchase an ID. But the irony is that in order to draw a fixed income from Social Security or obtain subsidy housing, they had to provide valid identification at some point.

I could rant on 50 other issues that burn me, but I won't today. Suffice it to say that I'm tired of the way the black community has embraced or made excuses for its mediocrity. And now, many want lawmakers to accommodate this mediocrity as well. Damn shame...smh
if you got a problem with the black community, here is some advice, move to canada. They have about 10 black people and they play for the raptors.

Old 07-18-2012, 10:17 AM

45,541 posts, read 27,152,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffin96 View Post
As I am typing this post, I am well aware ...
Dang - and that was your first post. Welcome to the board - way to "bring it".

Old 07-18-2012, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Please re-read my post. I do not dispute that seniors are more impacted by these laws (I happen to agree with you), nor did I claim that these laws were put into place to target just blacks. I was simply responding to the rhetoric that I've heard recently from pundits and others who are claiming that these laws unfairly target black voters. In my post, I assumed that to be true just for the sake of argument.

And yes, I happen to be black. What? Do you think a black person is unable to think objectively and independently, even if that means taking an unpopular stance related to the black community? Don't answer...that was rhetorical.

Old 07-18-2012, 10:19 AM

4,520 posts, read 4,207,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
You speak a logic that most liberals don't comprehend, and a logic that most black people would try to turn around and use against you in an attempt to paint you as an "Uncle Tom."

I have great respect for your forthrightness. Not many black people on this forum are willing to acknowledge what you've put forth. They'd rather stay in the Victimization Corner and Blame Whitey.
I am black and a Dem and I agree with the OP. Please stop with the generalizations. It's obvious from your posts here that you probably don't have a personal relationship with *a* black person (let alone many), so your assumption about the mindset of "most of us" is laughable.

Old 07-18-2012, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
if you got a problem with the black community, here is some advice, move to canada. They have about 10 black people and they play for the raptors.
Trust me...I've thought about it. j/k
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies