Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 02:34 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,177,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
"gerrymandering" That word does not mean what you think it means.

Also, you could read the actual language of the bill, or at least the synopsis. It's actually pretty good and rewards businesses that repatriate jobs while removing some of the tax rewards for moving operations overseas. What's the objection here?
Gerrymandering is defined as manipulating or adapting to one's advantage. To leave out crucial details, is in fact adapting/manipulating the truth to the advantage of Democrats (in this case).

Further, the actual text of the bill has ZERO to do with my assertions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2012, 02:36 PM

78,771 posts, read 60,983,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
I'm for it. But Republicans will tell you it's anti business. Keep in mind the Republicans got to show support for their big global American companies that richly contribute to them.
Um, it seems like it gives incentives to the big corporations though.

Essentially, something is not adding up here.

I'm going to go find out what's really going on via non-partisan sources and the actual bill language while you guys continue to name call each other with no real knowledge of the topic.

Sheesh, this actually interests me but no way in heck I'm going to get honest or accurate information with you guys screeching back and forth at each other.

Old 07-18-2012, 02:41 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,301,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
How ridiculous to defend the traitors posing as representatives that are not in support of this bill. For shame!
Hey it is a fact.

Go enlighten me and show me how this bill was to bring jobs here?

Bet is involves growing government, potentially making new government employees and various forms of taxations under various names. It is what Democrats do.

Did you expect Democrats to name this "Stick America In The Rear End Bill"? They love to name bills what they are not to get emotional support behind them. It is their classic behavior.

Old 07-18-2012, 02:45 PM

4,412 posts, read 3,969,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Gerrymandering is defined as manipulating or adapting to one's advantage. To leave out crucial details, is in fact adapting/manipulating the truth to the advantage of Democrats (in this case).
I'm glad you bothered to read that after the fact, but gerrymandering is pretty specific to elections. It makes no sense in the context you're using.
Gerrymandering - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Further, the actual text of the bill has ZERO to do with my assertions.
How's that? You can't claim that reporters have manipulated truth and then say that the actual text has zero to do with your assertions. How do you know truth was manipulated when you refuse to read the text and learn the truth?

Old 07-18-2012, 02:49 PM

48,502 posts, read 97,046,955 times
One has to realise thaqt most bills being brought up ny both parties now are bills they know and don't expect to go anywhere because they contain parts that they know the other party would never agree to. Its poltical bill meant to p-lace the 0other i a bad light by the bills name rather than what it contains. Routine politcvs in a presidential elctio year. I beleive the republicans have introduced about two hundred jobs bills.

Old 07-18-2012, 02:58 PM

4,412 posts, read 3,969,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
One has to realise thaqt most bills being brought up ny both parties now are bills they know and don't expect to go anywhere because they contain parts that they know the other party would never agree to. Its poltical bill meant to p-lace the 0other i a bad light by the bills name rather than what it contains. Routine politcvs in a presidential elctio year.
If it takes an election to motivate them to propose legislation that benefits working Americans then so be it.

Quote:
I beleive the republicans have introduced about two hundred jobs bills.
Tax Cuts and dismantling Medicare do not a jobs bill make.

Last edited by Mr. Mon; 07-18-2012 at 03:30 PM..

Old 07-18-2012, 03:04 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,182,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
One has to realise thaqt most bills being brought up ny both parties now are bills they know and don't expect to go anywhere because they contain parts that they know the other party would never agree to. Its poltical bill meant to p-lace the 0other i a bad light by the bills name rather than what it contains. Routine politcvs in a presidential elctio year. I beleive the republicans have introduced about two hundred jobs bills.
By all means, provide links to these jobs bills. I was not able to find any, but I did find this...

Republican Job Creation • Keeping Millions Unemployed To Put One Man Out of Work

Old 07-18-2012, 03:29 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,675,440 times
I read the bill. It won't effect those business owners that just get their stuff made in China and shipped over here.
It doesn't effect anyone who does not have a physical plant in another country and has the workers on his payroll.

That' pretty much the multinationals. Most other businesses just contract out work overseas and get their goods imported.
There's no incentive for them.

And the credit is not enough to offset labor cost differences either.

Old 07-18-2012, 03:30 PM

20,496 posts, read 12,430,638 times
Naming a bad bill the "bring jobs home act" does not in fact mean that it will in fact bring.... jobs home...

Old 07-18-2012, 03:33 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,056,903 times
So we will pay you to eliminate non productive parts of your business overseas or pay you to start up business in the US to be taxed at a super higher rate (which is why you left in the first place).

‘(1) IN GENERAL- The term ‘eligible insourcing expenses’ means--
  • ‘(A) eligible expenses paid or incurred by the taxpayer in connection with the elimination of any business unit of the taxpayer (or of any member of any expanded affiliated group in which the taxpayer is also a member) located outside the United States, and
    ‘(B) eligible expenses paid or incurred by the taxpayer in connection with the establishment of any business unit of the taxpayer (or of any member of any expanded affiliated group in which the taxpayer is also a member) located within the United States,

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies