Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 10:12 AM

2,935 posts, read 4,987,643 times

Advertisements

He can't "decide to use it," he doesn't have control over it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2007, 10:12 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,057,057 times
You sound a little like my favourite General Patton, and we know what happened to him.

It all sounds more than dangerous to me, now, and it all sounded dangerous and ill conceived when we went into Iraq, 2003.

But then I am not for war for war's sake, and certainly don't think it serves this country's best interest to overthrow another government.

Where I agree: we do dance around too much, and don't get taken seriously! So, yes, pc ain't the best way to win a war!

Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
of course i can only give you my opinion,we are currently at war with Iran in Iraq, but we are pretending, that nobody knows that the neighbor mans been sneeking over and messin with the wife! we dont need an invasion, war or insurgence. " does any one really believe that we could not end (win) the war in Iraq in a week if we wanted to?" we have been ***** footing all over the desert trying to fight a politically correct war which is exactly why we need people like Bolton and why he is no longer ambassador.Just too politically incorrect! We have lost so much credibility , because all we do is talk talk talk , when we do draw a line in the sand, and they cross it we just draw another line!

Old 10-01-2007, 10:16 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,384,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
can you elaborate with facts on this description of bolton or is this more of your (if you throw enough sh*t some will stick) debate tactics.
Review his record at the State Department. Review his manipulating data. Review his withholding of evidence contradicting his own assessments from both Sec. Powell and Sec. Rice. Review his purported (but still classified ) role in the yellow-cake debacle. Review his exclusion of top staff not thought to be ideologically conformist enough from policy meetings. Review his attempts to undermine the careers of officials at other agencies opposed to his policies. Review his draft reports on claimed WMD programs in Cuba and Syria. Review the allegations of physical violence and harassment brought against him by State/AID employees and contractors. Review the list of reasons why Colin Powell lobbied against Bolton in his confirmation hearings...

Old 10-01-2007, 10:20 AM

35 posts, read 54,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Can you explain to me why you think we need another war, invasion, or insurgence? And why you think Mr. Bolton was dropped from his position as US Ambassador?

Curious!
I can answer that, if I may. We don't NEED another war. Nobody wants that. But more than not wanting another war, we cannot allow Iran to develop nukes. They have already stated that their intention is to wipe Israel (our greatest ally in the Middle East) off the map. A nuke in the hands of a madman like Ahmadenijad is too great a threat for us and our allies. That is why France is even on board with us in saying that we cannot tolerate a nuclear Iran.

As for why Mr. Bolton was dropped from the UN... it's because he is way too blunt for most politically correct people's liking. I guess at the UN, as well as in the Democrat Party, they prefer the wimpy, parakeet, soft spoken types like Tom Daschle and Harry Reid. Bolton came off way too strong for them.

Old 10-01-2007, 10:20 AM

Sounds like a tyrant to me!

Good review of his behavior over the last years, and sure makes for good reasons why he was not confirmed by many.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Review his record at the State Department. Review his manipulating data. Review his withholding of evidence contradicting his own assessments from both Sec. Powell and Sec. Rice. Review his purported (but still classified ) role in the yellow-cake debacle. Review his exclusion of top staff not thought to be ideologically conformist enough from policy meetings. Review his attempts to undermine the careers of officials at other agencies opposed to his policies. Review his draft reports on claimed WMD programs in Cuba and Syria. Review the allegations of physical violence and harassment brought against him by State/AID employees and contractors. Review the list of reasons why Colin Powell lobbied against Bolton in his confirmation hearings...

Old 10-01-2007, 10:23 AM

35 posts, read 54,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmonger View Post
He can't "decide to use it," he doesn't have control over it.
Ok, so your take is that should Iran develop a nuke, Ahmadinejad doesn't have the authority to use it? I hope the rest of the world doesn't fall for such naivety.

Old 10-01-2007, 10:28 AM

9,873 posts, read 10,777,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Review the list of reasons why Colin Powell lobbied against Bolton in his confirmation hearings...
that right there is enough for me to like him!

Old 10-01-2007, 10:29 AM

Thanks for your POV. It departs widely from my own. I don't believe we should be the watch-dogs of who gets to do what in their own country.

I don't believe the President of Iran has enough power to initiate a war; he'd start and be credited with WWIII, and if we attack Iran, we will be the originators of a large scale war, not an isolated series of attacks. This is a no-win situation that harkens back to our relationship with the USSR. The big fat "Cold War."

There is much involved and no simple answers, but war is not my first order of business. I truly believe diplomacy works, when done well and with credible leadership.

As for Mr. Bolton, while I don't like him, I sure don't appreciate the weak-will of the Democrats you name.

What we need is strong leadership, not a strong armed bandit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridget72 View Post
I can answer that, if I may. We don't NEED another war. Nobody wants that. But more than not wanting another war, we cannot allow Iran to develop nukes. They have already stated that their intention is to wipe Israel (our greatest ally in the Middle East) off the map. A nuke in the hands of a madman like Ahmadenijad is too great a threat for us and our allies. That is why France is even on board with us in saying that we cannot tolerate a nuclear Iran.

As for why Mr. Bolton was dropped from the UN... it's because he is way too blunt for most politically correct people's liking. I guess at the UN, as well as in the Democrat Party, they prefer the wimpy, parakeet, soft spoken types like Tom Daschle and Harry Reid. Bolton came off way too strong for them.

Old 10-01-2007, 10:42 AM

7,330 posts, read 15,326,474 times
I don't understand all the complaints about Bolton. Sure, I prefer Otis Redding's version of "Sittin on the Dock of the Bay", but "When a Man Loves a Woman" is a classic.

But in all seriousness, Iran does need regime change, but if we try to use force to make it happen, we will lose all. Iranians are generally relatively sophisticated, politically, and many, many Iranians would prefer a non-theocrat in power. Even with a theocrat in power, Jews, for example, are still free to worship in Iran. There are approximately 35,000 Jews in Iran, making it the second largest population of Jews in the middle east, after Israel. The current leadership of Iran is theocratic, but many, many Iranians are relative secularists, particularly the younger generations.

I think if we can find a way to promote regime change without force, that would be ideal, because as soon as we invade, every Iranian will be anti-American. Just like, no matter how much I hate any regime that gets installed here, the moment the Chinese or the Russians or the Iranians invade to change the regime, I'll be in the bushes with a shotgun and a canteen.

Old 10-01-2007, 10:56 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,149,188 times
Damn, let me get this straight... Bush through pressure from various members of his cabinet and staff as well as think tanks promoting US global hegemony tell Americans about yellow cake that didn't exist and mushroom clouds over New York that were completely fabricated, took this country in a war with a foreign nation in the Middle East, under the guise that it will pay for itself, they will greet us with flowers and love, not one single assertion which was actually true. Now there are those Americans who are willing to believe the same administration, who if they told 75% of Americans that the sky was blue would need to peek outside the window to check because NEVER in the history of the entire existence of the United States have a people been fed such a continuous line of bovine excrement, because they say so?

Please people, give me your addresses, I have some great land for you all to buy, hell yall will believe anything if you believe Bolton and co.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies