Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 08:43 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,159,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridget72 View Post
Agreed, we are going to have a regime change in '08. The question for you is, would you prefer Hillary (who undoubtedly the dem nominee will be) or a republican? It will be one or the other. Under which change do you believe the US would be safer?

Yes, also agreed, the problems in the Middle East will not go away. It is for this reason that the US needs to assert our might in order to divert insane dictators like Ahmadininejad from believing we will simply roll over and play dead (as the UN would like for us to do).

Would that we could just easily come home and pretend that radical islam is not a threat to the US. I wish 9/11 never happened. But it did... and the ones who attacked us were all Middle Eastern men with an agenda to destroy America, as well as Americans.

Prior to 9/11, I was more of an isolationist. But now.... we need to get them before they get us, plain and simply.
I am voting republican for two reasons, non-interventionist foreign policy (trade with all, alliances with none as our founding fathers envisioned.) The other reason is for simple parity in government. The same reason for many of the disasters of the Bush administration wasn't just that Bush was President, it was that the House and Senate were of the same party and they had a blank check to do as they wished. Do people believe that given the same amount of authority that Democrats won't act in the same manner?

I recognize the threat of radical Islam, however invading and entering into war with them has what our own CIA calls, "blowback" or unintended consequences. There is a balance to diplomacy and military intervention and sadly, this past administration knew of only one course of action.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2007, 08:47 PM

35 posts, read 54,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayannaaaliyah View Post
That's a jokeWhat the hell is France going to do to help America if they do invade Iran, oh I know shoot them with some pate de foie gras (that'll blind the Iranian army for sure)
Ummm, I cannot really take the time to explain international diplomacy right here and now, but.... I will tell you that it is quite signifigant that France is on our side after they were not with us on Iraq. It has to do with presenting a united allied front... You know the same way the left held it against the right that France, our ally, was NOT with us on Iraq?!! Remember? You can't have it both ways.

Old 10-01-2007, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
I am voting republican for two reasons, non-interventionist foreign policy (trade with all, alliances with none as our founding fathers envisioned.) The other reason is for simple parity in government. The same reason for many of the disasters of the Bush administration wasn't just that Bush was President, it was that the House and Senate were of the same party and they had a blank check to do as they wished. Do people believe that given the same amount of authority that Democrats won't act in the same manner?

I recognize the threat of radical Islam, however invading and entering into war with them has what our own CIA calls, "blowback" or unintended consequences. There is a balance to diplomacy and military intervention and sadly, this past administration knew of only one course of action.
I hear you, and I would have been with you prior to 9/11. But that changed everything. I am of the mind that we must assert our might in order to dissuade those who would want to harm us and our innocent civilians. I'm sorry to repeat myself here. But I feel very strongly that if we sit back and hope for the best, we will be totally screwed. More mommies. daddies and babies will die, as well as just average Dick and Jane's going through life. How can we tolerate such a threat?

Old 10-01-2007, 08:57 PM

9,877 posts, read 10,788,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayannaaaliyah View Post
That's a jokeWhat the hell is France going to do to help America if they do invade Iran, oh I know shoot them with some pate de foie gras (that'll blind the Iranian army for sure)
Interesting how orgasmic the left got every time the head cheese eater chirac voiced his disagreement with president Bush,You would have thought they were the leaders of the free world then!

Old 10-01-2007, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
Interesting how orgasmic the left got every time the head cheese eater chirac voiced his disagreement with president Bush,You would have thought they were the leaders of the free world then!
Quite true. In the Chirac days, the US was seen as inferior (in the eyes of the left) to France, a great world power. But now that France is on our side, well, France is irrelevant (to the left, that is).

Old 10-01-2007, 09:24 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,574,091 times
Quote:
Do people believe that given the same amount of authority that Democrats won't act in the same manner?
I agree with you here that 98% of the current politicians probably would however, not for the same reasons that "DUH" Bush & "puppetmaster" Cheney did.

Quote:
There is a balance to diplomacy and military intervention and sadly, this past administration knew of only one course of action.
I agree with this.

For one, I think the real issue here is that America has gotten itself in over its head and World is looking at us like
Two: I think that this whole issue with Iran is over-blown to create and instill fear in the American people, the same way they did with 9/11. I don't know when some of you are going to WAKE up and see that this is the same sh*t -just a different country and a few years later.

"puppetmaster" Cheney will be living large in some other country after having PIMPED the American people. He has more American blood on his hand than any Islamic terriorist I wonder how he sleeps at night
As Defense Secretary, Mr. Cheney commissioned a study for the U.S. Department of Defense by Brown and Root Services (now Kellogg, Brown and Root), a wholly owned subsidiary of Halliburton. The study recommended that private firms like Halliburton should take over logistical support programs for U.S. military operations around the world. Just two years after he was Secretary of Defense, Cheney stepped through the revolving door linking the Department of Defense with defense contractors and became CEO of Halliburton. Halliburton was the principal beneficiary of Cheney’s privatization efforts for our military’s logistical support and Cheney was paid $44 million for five year's work with them before he slipped back through the revolving door of war profiteering to become Vice-President of the United States. When asked about the money he received from Halliburton, Cheney said. "I tell you that the government had absolutely nothing to do with it."

The Bush administration has dished out lucrative reconstruction contracts in Iraq to favored U.S. based corporations including Halliburton and denied contracts to many Iraqi and foreign based companies. To the conquerors go the spoils was the message on December 11, 2003 when Bush said, “The taxpayers understand why it makes sense for countries that risk lives to participate in the contracts in Iraq, It's very simple. Our people risk their lives, friendly coalition folks risk their lives, and therefore the contracting is going to reflect that.â€

Bush’s statement is a stunning admission of how much corrupt corporations control our foreign policy. Under Cheney’s leadership Halliburton out did Enron in using offshore subsidiaries as tax shelters to hide profits to bilk U.S. taxpayers. Halliburton also utilized off-shore subsidiaries to contract for services and sell banned equipment to rogue states like Iran, Iraq and Libya. This would be illegal if done directly by Halliburton.
At last count Halliburton had 58 offshore subsidiaries in Caribbean tax havens. With Cheney at the helm Halliburton’s tax payments to the U.S. went from $302 million in 1998 to zero in 1999, when they also received a refund of $85 million from the Internal Revenue Service.

During Cheney’s tenure as CEO from 1995 to 2000, Halliburton Products and Services set up shop in Iran. The Halliburton subsidiary does approximately $40 million a year worth of oil field service work for the Iranian government. The subsidiary in the Cayman Islands has no office and no employees. The mailing address was a local bank with which the subsidiary is registered. When met there the bank’s manager stated that "all mail to the subsidiary is forwarded to Halliburton headquarters in Houston. Halliburton had created the subsidiary to allow itself to do illegal business with a rogue state and to skip out on its taxes in the process.

With Iran’s president vowing to destroy Israel and being accused by the Bush administration of harboring and aiding al-Qaeda operatives, Cheney’s company is doing business with Iran through a subsidiary and dodging its tax obligations to the U.S.

Halliburton has been more closely associated with the invasion of Iraq than any other corporation. Before the Iraq War began, it was 19th on the U.S. Army's list of top contractors and zoomed to number 1 in 2003 ARE YOUR EYES OPEN NOW?.

In 2003 Halliburton made $4.2 billion from the U.S. government. Cheney stated he had , "severed all my ties with the company, gotten rid of all my financial interest." YEAH RIGHT?

It was recently asserted that Cheney's stock options which were worth $241,498 a year ago, are now valued at more than $8 million-- for an increase of 3,281% . Cheney has pledged to give the proceeds to charity. Cheney continues to received a deferred salary from the company. He was paid $205,298 in 2001; $162,392 in 2002; $178,437 in 2003; and $194,852 in 2004.

The Congressional Research Service has concluded that holding stock options while in elective office does constitute a “financial interest†whether or not the holder of the options donates the proceeds to charities, and deferred compensation is also a financial interest. FIGURES....All this talk about stock options, etc. etc. Puppet masters pockets are getting FATTER AND FATTER.

Calling on Cheney to sever his financial ties to Halliburton, Lautenberg points out that the company has already raked in more than $10 billion for work in Iraq, and was handed some of the first Katrina contracts. The company has been criticized by auditors for its handling of no-bid contacts in Iraq, and there have been numerous allegations of over charging for services. Auditors found the firm marked up meal prices for troops and inflated gas prices in a deal with a Kuwaiti supplier. The company also built the American prison at Guantanamo Bay. Lautenberg said, "It is unseemly for the Vice President to continue to benefit from this company at the same time his Administration funnels billions of dollars to it.†THIS MONSTER IS WORSE THAN SOME CRIMINALS
Cheney’s war profiteering requires redress and justice.

Old 10-01-2007, 09:29 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,159,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bridget72 View Post
I hear you, and I would have been with you prior to 9/11. But that changed everything. I am of the mind that we must assert our might in order to dissuade those who would want to harm us and our innocent civilians. I'm sorry to repeat myself here. But I feel very strongly that if we sit back and hope for the best, we will be totally screwed. More mommies. daddies and babies will die, as well as just average Dick and Jane's going through life. How can we tolerate such a threat?
Non intervention is no guarantee to stop terrorism and in fact, I say there is NO way to guarantee that terrorist will not try to strike the United States, however engaging in military confrontation with any nation that we deem as a threat will guarantee that more daddies, mommies, and babies will die. NEVER in the modern history of human kind has a preemptive policy of warfare been effective and in fact the last two nations to use preemptive warfare, Nazi Germany and Imperial Japan both met a fate deserving of their ambitions.

You see, I am conservative but I am also humanitarian, and not just for the daddies, mommies and babies of my fellow countrymen but for all human beings. Just because my some of my brothers may read a different book or even that some are plumb crazy out of their mind, I still value human life, even of those who don't value mine. I realize that you and others will unlikely understand this however, if I don't apply my beliefs equally to all, then like the unequal application of law, it then means nothing as it no longer has any value.

Old 10-01-2007, 09:51 PM

2,935 posts, read 4,990,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
We only wish your mentality was the mentality of our adversaries!
I have to really choose my words because I know you are of the sensitive type, so I will try not to offend. Fortunately intimidation does work! When some scumbag punk comes up to me and my family and threatens to do harm, & I stick my desert eagle in his face, thats pretty damn intimidating, and they will step off in a hurry, "UNLESS" they dont believe I have the stomach to pull the trigger! PEACE THROUGH STRENGTH , mhouse , your feel good, live & let live, america is no better than anybody else, happy, happy kumbaya, cant we all just get along, nonsense is the very reason we are dangerously close to more conflicts and Iran has no qualms about keeping the pot stirred in Iraq. They are banking on the US not having the stomach to pull the trigger! Like I said if only are adversaries thought the way you do!
Thumpthumpthump thededdeddedddy thumpthumpthump thededdeddy thumpthumpthump theddedddeedddyy

Moving closer and closer and closer... I think you'll get your war before we have a regime change of our own. But I hope not.

Old 10-01-2007, 09:53 PM

20,170 posts, read 24,264,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmonger View Post
Thumpthumpthump thededdeddedddy thumpthumpthump thededdeddy thumpthumpthump theddedddeedddyy

Moving closer and closer and closer... I think you'll get your war before we have a regime change of our own. But I hope not.
Is that the march of the Anchovies?

Old 10-01-2007, 10:08 PM

2,935 posts, read 4,990,458 times
Maybe the march of the Parrots Who Forgot Their Glasses
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies